Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, almaman said:

on that insecure thought a ?. by and large do verbal commits sign on the first legal day they can, this year being the 8th?

Lol. Nice

Seems like most do.  Gets it out the way so they can focus on their season.  Some coaches put a lil pressure for kids to sign as well.  Can be a nervous situation for the coaches as well as the fans 😁

On 10/20/2017 at 2:14 PM, wgstl said:

THT will be at Illinois this weekend.  They(fans and writers for UI) think he will commit during his visit. Hasnt as of yet though. 

THT finished his visit today.  From what I have gathered he really enjoyed it,  but I haven't heard of any news about a verbal.  As far as the rumors about a beef between him and Ayo, I'm pretty sure those are just rumors.  When he left the Mac Irvin Fire, it was my understanding that it was done so his skills could be showcased more and any beef that was taking place was between the adults in the situation.  The fact that he still came for an official after Ayo committed tells me he would be willing to play with him.  I think he is an Iowa St lean but would love to have him.  Kid is an all around player and is going to be one hell of a college player for whoever gets him.  Seems like a really good person and has handled his recruitment very well

On 10/20/2017 at 4:32 PM, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I question that.  He hired an assistant coach at Oklahoma State who was named, but that might not implicate him.  Time will tell, I guess.

So far that is the only way he is tied into any of this.  He hasn't been implicated in it and I would think if the FBI had Evans phone tapped when he was at S. Carolina, at some point they would have had Underwood on tape too and he would have been charged already.  Now,  Evans could try to say BU knew or was privy to benefits as well but they would have to find the proof of that. Who knows,  this thing is going to take a long time to get all sorted out.  Could be a couple years before it's all said and done and every high major coach could be implicated as well.    I personally don't think BU will go down in this, except for maybe a suspension or something from the NCAA for lack of institutional control.  Honestly,  I'm more worried that Orlando Antigua may get caught up in it

Rhoden wrapped up his Penn State visit. There's a little chatter that he's going to commit there, and it's just a matter of when.

Santa Clara, his fifth finalist and the one he hasn't officially visited yet, just got a commitment from Trey Wertz at Rhoden's position.

I don't know whether the PSU rumor is true or not but they look like a reasonable favorite.

As for THT, all the buzz has been about Illinois and ISU; it's interesting that Xavier is still hanging on in this one.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Rhoden wrapped up his Penn State visit. There's a little chatter that he's going to commit there, and it's just a matter of when.

Santa Clara, his fifth finalist and the one he hasn't officially visited yet, just got a commitment from Trey Wertz at Rhoden's position.

I don't know whether the PSU rumor is true or not but they look like a reasonable favorite.

As for THT, all the buzz has been about Illinois and ISU; it's interesting that Xavier is still hanging on in this one.

So is it IL or UICUC?

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I know that - my point is his tweets are old news so who needs his tweets.

I don't think we'd been technically eliminated until that tweet (correct me if I'm wrong). Seems perfectly relevant that Stu would tweet it and it also seems like a good sign that he's trying to pass along recruiting news.

2010andBeyond likes this

11 hours ago, Pistol said:

Xavier has been the rumored leader for a while. It will be interesting to see where he ends up.

So much of the chatter about which school is the leader for a player is just fan-driven stuff on Twitter. Big Ten fans seem more active than any other group of people on Twitter. It's insane. But these huge schools also have a lot of writers, bloggers, etc. all trying to break news and give a new perspective. It's just hard to say who is actually out front, but ISU and Illinois have always had the most chatter around THT. What that means for the much smaller, quieter Xavier, I have no idea.

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So much of the chatter about which school is the leader for a player is just fan-driven stuff on Twitter. Big Ten fans seem more active than any other group of people on Twitter. It's insane. But these huge schools also have a lot of writers, bloggers, etc. all trying to break news and give a new perspective. It's just hard to say who is actually out front, but ISU and Illinois have always had the most chatter around THT. What that means for the much smaller, quieter Xavier, I have no idea.

My 2cents that has nothing to do with anything: Illinois has the most fans I've ever seen who pose as writers/bloggers/analysts. 

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

My 2cents that has nothing to do with anything: Illinois has the most fans I've ever seen who pose as writers/bloggers/analysts. 

It certainly feels that way. Maybe it's because we go head-to-head with them in recruiting more than most other programs. Without following any of them, it's hard to tell which of these guys have any legitimacy at all, and which are in a basement in Decatur trying to draw traffic to a sad little blog by tweeting 100 times a day.

52 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It certainly feels that way. Maybe it's because we go head-to-head with them in recruiting more than most other programs. Without following any of them, it's hard to tell which of these guys have any legitimacy at all, and which are in a basement in Decatur trying to draw traffic to a sad little blog by tweeting 100 times a day.

The Illini are overloaded with them and the percentage of them that think something nefarious happened anytime the Illini lose a recruiting battle is amazing. 

You would think with the J school, Mizzou would be overloaded with them.  Surprisingly, that isn't the case.

36 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The Illini are overloaded with them and the percentage of them that think something nefarious happened anytime the Illini lose a recruiting battle is amazing. 

You would think with the J school, Mizzou would be overloaded with them.  Surprisingly, that isn't the case.

Don't worry, they will be coming out of the wood work for the next year.

35 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think success + enrollment has something to do with it though. Illinois has had some high level success in each of the last 2 generations of fans. Mizzou has never had high level basketball success. SIU fans were bad in the pre-twitter message board only era. Wichita State fans are some of the more insufferable fans around. You get a successful team plus huge state school enrollments and its a magic potion for idiocy. 

1 minute ago, Westy03 said:

Rhoden is down to four Seton hall, SLU, Penn State, and Wichita State

Interesting to see that we are still in play for Rhoden, sign him and figure out what to do later.