Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Everyday that passes the chances of anything crazy happening diminish.  Players are running out of time to reopen the recruiting process, talk to different programs, send in transcripts, take official visits, etc..

Don't forget about spring signings. My guess (hope) is since Decarte has not seemed to waver about SLU, he'll sign on the dotted line come Nov.

Rhode Island has been super impressive on the recruiting trail. Today's commitment from Jermaine Harris was huge for them, and they still have one scholarship to go. Tyrese Martin picked them over Seton Hall, Amir Harris is a long, skilled PG, and Dana Tate might need a little seasoning but gives them a nice way into that MacDuffie School (MA) program SLU is also recruiting hard.

Rhody has a big senior class to replace after this season, but they won't slip much, or for very long.

13 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Because the more Top 100 guys that go to the A10 the better the league will be. Which makes getting Top 100 guys to SLU that much easier. Basically. 

A rising tide lifts all ships. The same reason I enjoy when A10 teams do well in the non conference and the NCAA tournament. 

HoosierPal likes this

2 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

A rising tide lifts all ships. The same reason I enjoy when A10 teams do well in the non conference and the NCAA tournament. 

Arguably the best year the modern Billikens ever had was the year the A-10 had 5 NCAA tourney teams, including VCU, Butler, etc. Yet, some on here would get more excited if it was a down year and we won a league where only two teams make the dance...

The same logic that doesn't want a good A-10 means we should never want to be in the Big East.

Reminder that Rhoden is at Wichita State this weekend. No timeline yet on his other three finalists (Seton Hall, Santa Clara, and Penn State, where he took a recent unofficial visit). Guard Neftali Alvarez will also be visiting WSU this weekend.

In terms of his possible fit at WSU, they're graduating 6 players after this season and 3 of their 4 commits so far are bigs. A PG and wing are the priorities with the last two spots. They'd like to land both of this weekend's visitors.

PSU has one spot left. They have commitments from a forward and PG, and appear to be looking for help at Rhoden's position for the last spot.

SHU has 3 spots left. They have a commitment from a big man, and are replacing 3 graduating forwards and a shooting guard. They like Rhoden but I know Khalid Moore (SF) is a higher priority. Not sure if that's an either-or situation or if they want both.

Santa Clara is wide open. 5 scholarships to give, no commitments, with needs at every position. Former SLU offeree Matt Turner is a freshman SG there and should have a chance to contribute immediately. They play small, shoot a ton of threes. Rhoden would be the highest-rated recruit on their roster.

THT is going to Georgia Tech, then Iowa State next weekend, then Illinois the following weekend. That leaves him with one official to use, as his first one was to Xavier. SLU, Ohio State, and Georgetown are the other three in his top seven. I know he's already been to SLU for an unofficial visit, so my hunch is that he uses the fifth one on Georgetown, assuming he decides to use it. The Illinois visit is news; I was hoping he wouldn't go there since he's already been there, too. Right now, predictions are split between Iowa State and Illinois, which appear to be his leaders.

1 hour ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Until RI joins the AAC 

So what would you prefer? The other A-10 teams to do poorly in recruiting? Very short-sighted argument if so. 

I dont think RI will join the AAC. But if they did and if the presumable reason is that they proved they were good enough at basketball to be poached then that is a far superior alternative to them not being good enough but still being in SLU's conference.

SLU should want to win the A-10 every year. But it is far preferable to win a nationally competitive A-10 than it is to win a middling conference. I'd even say it's better to finish 2nd in a very good A-10 than it is to win a bad one.

2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Anyone know if Horton-Tucker and Carteare Gordon have a previous friendship? Been interacting on twitter last few days....

I assume you mean a cordial friendly interaction is going on in Twitter between HT and Gordon. This is nice to hear..

THT visited Georgia Tech this weekend. No word on how it went yet. He'll go to Iowa State for Cyclone Madness next weekend. ISU and Illinois are thought to be out in front of his top 7. Illinois is in a weird spot at the moment; Landers Nolley cut them and announced UGA and VT as his final two, then committed to UGA, then immediately decommitted. Not sure if he's opening it back up further, going back to UGA, or if that's good news for VT. But if he goes back wider, he was a major Illinois target and would've probably gotten in the way of a THT commit. Ayo Dosunmu is now down to 2: Illinois and Wake Forest. So their staff is busy right now.

I watched some more video on THT. He's an interesting player. He has a little bit of a throwback style, and kind of reminds me of a young Charles Barkley. He's got a beefy frame (no doubt strength and conditioning coaches will be on him the second he arrives on a college campus) and likes to take it right at guys. Strong finisher who can get up on the break or finish in heavy traffic. He finishes in a variety of ways, but favors his right hand heavily. He's got good, long, strong arms and can rebound it at both ends and block shots. What stood out at me in particular this most recent time is how comfortable he is handling the ball, both in the half court and in traffic. He looks like he'd be loose with it, but is surprisingly effective. He's also a solid passer. He's got a really easy stroke, and his form is the same whether he's 12 or 30 feet away from the basket. He doesn't shoot a high percentage from the perimeter - most stats I can find are in the low 30% range - but the ability is there. He strikes me as a Ford player, and would very much fit in with the character of this team. Tough, versatile, hard working player who offers a tricky matchup. His inconsistent perimeter shooting is the only downside here, as we need another guy who can stretch this offense out. Otherwise, I think he'll be an excellent four-year player and would be a great fit at SLU.

On 10/6/2017 at 4:37 PM, Pistol said:

Rhode Island has been super impressive on the recruiting trail. Today's commitment from Jermaine Harris was huge for them, and they still have one scholarship to go. Tyrese Martin picked them over Seton Hall, Amir Harris is a long, skilled PG, and Dana Tate might need a little seasoning but gives them a nice way into that MacDuffie School (MA) program SLU is also recruiting hard.

Rhody has a big senior class to replace after this season, but they won't slip much, or for very long.

Rhode Island just landed a top-150 SG over the weekend, Brendan Adams. That closes out quite a class for the Rams.

On 10/6/2017 at 4:32 PM, RiseAndGrind said:

Because the more Top 100 guys that go to the A10 the better the league will be. Which makes getting Top 100 guys to SLU that much easier. Basically. 

And because RPI and other indicators of strength is directly correlated to number of teams that get in the NCAA Tournament.  See 2013 when the A10 got 5 teams in.

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Anyone else think Carte'are has slimmed down a bit?  

Between French and Gordon, our front court is gonna be more athletic than it's ever been. 

Yes: