Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Hoping for a fall commit as long as it is a good prospect.  Would still like to see Reece looked at very hard.  Love his athleticism and size and potential.  Might be a great redshirt candidate.  A year in the weight room, get a good acedemic start, working and learning with the team, etc.  Could be a top 100 type prospect after that year.

Would like the staff to be fully focused on the 2017-18 season and 2019 recruiting.  Sure, there could be a scholly open up due to transfer or early graduation, so you have to be keeping contact with some of the 2018 prospects or go for a transfer.  

All the confusion around Reece in the early part of this school year has me a bit concerned. We're hearing that he transferred - ESL, Soldan, somewhere else - and other general comments about where his mind's at these days.

That said, did he actually transfer? One of the schools recruiting him hardest - Old Dominion - was out to open gym at Vashon.

Reece doesn't actually attend school at Vashon, he just plays basketball there.  Don't understand why he and his dad would decide to play at East Side and complicate their commute.  And if they're interested in rebooting his recruiting, Vashon is going to get hella exposure this year.

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/now-st-louis-public-schools-are-fully-accredited-will-more-parents-choose-district#stream/0

Parent James Reece is not sure the district deserves its new status.

“I’ve not bought in. Not at all,” said Reece. “I had to go through hell and high water just to get my son homework.”

Reece recently moved his 17-year-old son out of Vashon High School and into one of the district’s magnet schools, Central Visual and Performing Arts, after bringing his concerns about Vashon to the district’s Special Administrative Board.

“And he’s loving that. He is. The energy there is totally different. The teachers are challenging him. So it’s a better place. Definitely,” Reece said.

Reece, who is running for a spot on St. Louis Public Schools’ elected board, sees the district as a patchwork of good and not-so-good options — a point charter school advocates often highlight.

47 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Reece doesn't actually attend school at Vashon, he just plays basketball there.  Don't understand why he and his dad would decide to play at East Side and complicate their commute.  And if they're interested in rebooting his recruiting, Vashon is going to get hella exposure this year.

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/now-st-louis-public-schools-are-fully-accredited-will-more-parents-choose-district#stream/0

“I’ve not bought in. Not at all,” said Reece. “I had to go through hell and high water just to get my son homework.”

Reece recently moved his 17-year-old son out of Vashon High School and into one of the district’s magnet schools, Central Visual and Performing Arts, after bringing his concerns about Vashon to the district’s Special Administrative Board.

“And he’s loving that. He is. The energy there is totally different. The teachers are challenging him. So it’s a better place. Definitely,” Reece said.

Reece, who is running for a spot on St. Louis Public Schools’ elected board, sees the district as a patchwork of good and not-so-good options — a point charter school advocates often highlight.

Wow, this is interesting. So he's going to keep playing at Vashon, then?

Also from the article, this photo caption:

James Reece wanted his son Joseph to be able to keep playing basketball at Vashon but be challenged academically. The district arranged for Joseph to attend classes at a magnet school but stay on his team.

Has this always been the case, that you can attend one school in the city district and play sports at a different one? If so, I've never been aware of this.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Wow, this is interesting. So he's going to keep playing at Vashon, then?

Also from the article, this photo caption:

James Reece wanted his son Joseph to be able to keep playing basketball at Vashon but be challenged academically. The district arranged for Joseph to attend classes at a magnet school but stay on his team.

Has this always been the case, that you can attend one school in the city district and play sports at a different one? If so, I've never been aware of this.

I think if the school you attend doesn't have the sport then it's legit

51 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

So, does this mean he gets to play for any public St.Louis HS while attending the magnet school?

2 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I think if the school you attend doesn't have the sport then it's legit

Correct.  And Reece has not been at any of Vashon's open gyms but he was at one at EastSide last week.  Perhaps that is how the rumor started.  His Dad has been exploring several schools.

28 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

https://umhoops.com/2017/09/22/talen-horton-tucker-talks-visit-michigan-recruitment/

recap of THT's visit to Michigan. He lists SLU as a school recruiting him. Sounds like he's cutting down his list soon.

as an aside, I appreciate the kid's honesty. 

Think it is interesting that he didn't mention MSU.