Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

1 hour ago, Bills_06 said:

Per Roy Schmidt, Talen Horton-Tucker taking an unofficial visit to Michigan today.  He also said he thinks they may be in the lead if they offer today.  

He also tweeted he was the first to say Lester isn't himself months ago and the Chicago media is dumb for just now figuring it out.  Favorite follow on twitter.  

When THT announced his 13 finalists, Michigan was the only one that I hadn't seen an offer from, so I thought it was interesting. I guess they'd shown interest before, but he had offers from the other 12 and several others that were actively pursuing him, and that he didn't include. So he must like Michigan for one reason or another; there just hasn't been any heat until now.

They'd be stupid not to offer him. They have 1 2018 scholarship left; I don't know who's being prioritized.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

When THT announced his 13 finalists, Michigan was the only one that I hadn't seen an offer from, so I thought it was interesting. I guess they'd shown interest before, but he had offers from the other 12 and several others that were actively pursuing him, and that he didn't include. So he must like Michigan for one reason or another; there just hasn't been any heat until now.

They'd be stupid not to offer him. They have 1 2018 scholarship left; I don't know who's being prioritized.

Crystal ball has recently gone to Michigan I've seen for THT

Does anyone know what's going on with Tim Finke? A couple months ago, he announced his finalists: Ohio State, Vanderbilt, Oregon, Illinois, and Notre Dame. Since then, he's gotten offers from Tulsa and is being recruited hard by Loyola-Chicago and Valpo.

I know he's gradually slid down the rankings but this is really weird. This article has a theory that he had a bad AAU season and lost his shot, but also that it could have been the arrival of Darius Bazley that took him out of his game with Meanstreets. It also mentions that he's probably going to be a spring decision now and even dropped Mark Smith's name as a sought-after spring player.

Anyway, if SLU doesn't get a fall commit, this guy could be worth tracking again.

BLIKNS likes this

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Does anyone know what's going on with Tim Finke? A couple months ago, he announced his finalists: Ohio State, Vanderbilt, Oregon, Illinois, and Notre Dame. Since then, he's gotten offers from Tulsa and is being recruited hard by Loyola-Chicago and Valpo.

I know he's gradually slid down the rankings but this is really weird. This article has a theory that he had a bad AAU season and lost his shot, but also that it could have been the arrival of Darius Bazley that took him out of his game with Meanstreets. It also mentions that he's probably going to be a spring decision now and even dropped Mark Smith's name as a sought-after spring player.

Anyway, if SLU doesn't get a fall commit, this guy could be worth tracking again.

I was going to ask this the other day when I saw tweets about Loyola-Chicago visiting now.  Very strange turn it seems.  Was the offer from SLU during Crews or Ford?  

11 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

I was going to ask this the other day when I saw tweets about Loyola-Chicago visiting now.  Very strange turn it seems.  Was the offer from SLU during Crews or Ford?  

Crews originally offered him in July 2015.

9 minutes ago, Pistol said:

If I was Ford I would go full bore now and not wait for the fall.

17 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Recent crystal Balls on Illinois, but if he that's slid, I know ayo is also leaning Illinois and Underwood might be looking elsewhere if he has been sliding in the rankings. Could be a decent add as a fourth man with Gordon, Thatch and Rhoden 

10 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Recent crystal Balls on Illinois, but if he that's slid, I know ayo is also leaning Illinois and Underwood might be looking elsewhere if he has been sliding in the rankings. Could be a decent add as a fourth man with Gordon, Thatch and Rhoden 

My guess is the Illini think they can slow play Finke because they are were he really wants to go.  They probably want to wait to see what happens with Ayo, THT, Conditt, Castleton and Nolley before they take Finke's commitment.   Might be the perfect time to swoop in and steal him away.  

Coach Ford is in the catbird seat with this last scholarship. He can afford to wait it out with Rhoden. Even if he decides to go elsewhere and Pearson does as well, that scholarship can go to a quality transfer in the spring. It would be an easy sell. Afer the mandatory redshirt year and the graduation of Henriquez, Bess and Foreman, that spring signee would get to play right away.

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Coach Ford is in the catbird seat with this last scholarship. He can afford to wait it out with Rhoden. Even if he decides to go elsewhere and Pearson does as well, that scholarship can go to a quality transfer in the spring. It would be an easy sell. Afer the mandatory redshirt year and the graduation of Henriquez, Bess and Foreman, that spring signee would get to play right away.

Very good point. I do think a 2018 scholarship is a hard sell with those three high level transfers plus sophomore's French and Goodwin and then freshmen Gordon dominating minutes in 2018-19

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

I know the buzz before was Finke was a dead lock to Illinois, but it didn't seem like there was a lot of action there. Maybe it was a John Groce target that Underwood didn't want...and he doesn't or hasn't realized it yet. Mark Smith blew up when he decided to hang up his baseball cleats (Selfishly I kinda hoped he wouldn't so we could use his bat in RF), so it was kind of an unusual situation. 

2 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Very good point. I do think a 2018 scholarship is a hard sell with those three high level transfers plus sophomore's French and Goodwin and then freshmen Gordon dominating minutes in 2018-19

Hoping for a fall commit as long as it is a good prospect.  Would still like to see Reece looked at very hard.  Love his athleticism and size and potential.  Might be a great redshirt candidate.  A year in the weight room, get a good acedemic start, working and learning with the team, etc.  Could be a top 100 type prospect after that year.

Would like the staff to be fully focused on the 2017-18 season and 2019 recruiting.  Sure, there could be a scholly open up due to transfer or early graduation, so you have to be keeping contact with some of the 2018 prospects or go for a transfer.  

34 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Hoping for a fall commit as long as it is a good prospect.  Would still like to see Reece looked at very hard.  Love his athleticism and size and potential.  Might be a great redshirt candidate.  A year in the weight room, get a good acedemic start, working and learning with the team, etc.  Could be a top 100 type prospect after that year.

Would like the staff to be fully focused on the 2017-18 season and 2019 recruiting.  Sure, there could be a scholly open up due to transfer or early graduation, so you have to be keeping contact with some of the 2018 prospects or go for a transfer.  

Yeah.  Reece has a lot of untapped potential.  The buzz has kind of died off on him.  

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

Hoping for a fall commit as long as it is a good prospect.  Would still like to see Reece looked at very hard.  Love his athleticism and size and potential.  Might be a great redshirt candidate. 

It's not too late for that to happen.  But at this point, Pearson is improving at a faster rate. And he has a better handle, is a better leaper and has demonstrated more consistency on offense.  Reece will need an impressive start to the season to reboot his recruiting.

16 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's not too late for that to happen.  But at this point, Pearson is improving at a faster rate. And he has a better handle, is a better leaper and has demonstrated more consistency on offense.  Reece will need an impressive start to the season to reboot his recruiting.

16 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Poor AAU season?