Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

idk, the thought crossed my mind as well.  I don't buy that Watson just wanted to be close to home.  Mr. Integrity came in with some shady stuff and changed his mind.  If he wanted to be close to home, he'd have come to SLU.

In the six weeks between his commitment and de-commitment, Watson found out that the campus was in Columbus Ohio, not Columbus, Indiana as he originally thought.  Hence the distance issue.

13 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

What kind of shady stuff?

Why do you care? These aren't NCAA regulatory authorities posting on this board. They aren't mizzou fans. They aren't insider college basketball sources. What does it matter what they think about Cuonzo Martin and why does it give you satisfaction to try and push them on it?

11 minutes ago, NH said:

Why do you care? These aren't NCAA regulatory authorities posting on this board. They aren't mizzou fans. They aren't insider college basketball sources. What does it matter what they think about Cuonzo Martin and why does it give you satisfaction to try and push them on it?

I understand message board fans are going to bash each other's programs, that's sort of what message boards are for but Martin has been at Mizzou less than 6 months and he's probably been called unethical or a cheater hundreds of times on this board. Attacking the program is fine, but in a likelihood had the SLU job opened this past spring and not the year before, he likely would've been a top candidate for the position. You would think one of the guys that flipped to Mizzou was a SLU decommitment the way some people go about it. Hated here and hasn't coached a game yet and is a guy from our area. 

1 hour ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

I understand message board fans are going to bash each other's programs, that's sort of what message boards are for but Martin has been at Mizzou less than 6 months and he's probably been called unethical or a cheater hundreds of times on this board. Attacking the program is fine, but in a likelihood had the SLU job opened this past spring and not the year before, he likely would've been a top candidate for the position. You would think one of the guys that flipped to Mizzou was a SLU decommitment the way some people go about it. Hated here and hasn't coached a game yet and is a guy from our area. 

VTime or HScoach or whatever you want to be known as, I have question for you.  Why are none of your thousand plus posts on Tigerboard a defense of Ford when his integrity is challenged on that board?  There are tons of posts questioning Ford's integrity over there, but non of you defending Ford.

14 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

The world does not stop and start at your convenience Donny

17 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Hated here and hasn't coached a game yet and is a guy from our area. 

A guy who has had nothing to do with SLU ever in his life.

You’ve been told multiple times that this is a Saint Louis University message board. It isn’t a St Louis message board. 

It sounds like you’d be more happy at the tiger board!

Hoops Insider likes to say that he "wants the best for both programs," but it's all an aversion to the fact that his idea of "best" for SLU is pretty far off from his idea of "best" for Mizzou. For him, "best" for both programs is similar to saying "I hope SLU competes in the A10, gets all the local 2-3 star recruits, and makes the NIT consistently." For Mizzou, it's getting all the STL 4-5 star recruits that are just "too good for SLU" (last year he said Gordon wouldn't come to SLU), competing in the Dance, and taking the national spotlight as THE program for Missouri (and STL) hoops.

The simple truth is that Hoops Insider can't help but view SLU as a typical "mid major" that can't compete with the likes of Misery, but he still wants the "best" (i.e. status quo).

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I would think that if anyone officially associated with Mizzou athletics or any booster were to have assembled that graphic, it would be a recruiting violation.  They can't comment on recruits who've not signed a letter of intent.

DJPcf3pX0AAzU7T?format=jpg

Here is the graphic, it has Cuonzo's signature on it along with a tag line the team is using. ?

15 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Here is the graphic, it has Cuonzo's signature on it along with a tag line the team is using. ?

Thicks would rather defend his favorite school than think logically. It is quite obviously something the school provided to him, likely as part of their recruiting pitch. It even has a program slogan/logo on it that they use for promotional videos.

18 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Just like schools can mail a kid whatever pictures they want, I'd think they could e-mail them photos of said player photo-shopped into the school uni with a picture of a tiger, Billiken, arch, whatever. they all do it so it's likely fine. I seriously doubt every top 100 player that is committing on twitter with all these pictures is doing these graphics on their own.

3 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Just like schools can mail a kid whatever pictures they want, I'd think they could e-mail them photos of said player photo-shopped into the school uni with a picture of a tiger, Billiken, arch, whatever. they all do it so it's likely fine.

That is correct.  In fact, Photoshopping a kid in a jersey is standard.  Schools have been known to go a lot farther than that:

http://www.scout.com/Article/Star-Wars-Kim-K-and-Other-Ways-Colleges-Use-Photoshop-to-Lure-Re-75027283

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

VTime or HScoach or whatever you want to be known as, I have question for you.  Why are none of your thousand plus posts on Tigerboard a defense of Ford when his integrity challenged on that board?  There are tons of posts questioning Ford's integrity over there, but non of you defending Ford.

I think we all already know the answer to that question. 

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

Just like schools can mail a kid whatever pictures they want, I'd think they could e-mail them photos of said player photo-shopped into the school uni with a picture of a tiger, Billiken, arch, whatever. they all do it so it's likely fine. I seriously doubt every top 100 player that is committing on twitter with all these pictures is doing these graphics on their own.

Twitter is public, unlike mail or e-mail.  Looks like a massive loophole, to me.

2 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

You didn't explain at all why it matters you just restated your opinion that you disagree. I don't think you have an answer for why it matters. I think it just bugs you so your retaliation is to try and get under the skin of the people who you disagree with. It's a waste of everyone's time, including yours. 

And for for the record, I don't think cuonzo is any dirtier than your typical college basketball coach. I respect the fact that he's from east St. Louis. But if slu fans want to let out frustrations (deserved or otherwise) this seems like a pretty reasonable and harmless place to do it.

8 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I'm not privy to all of the rules, but if that design is from an official university source, I would think that's violation — or should be.

It's not a violation. Schools can make graphics for recruits. It's common. Schools can also now retweet commitments from players (that's a fairly recent rule change).

7 hours ago, Adman said:

In addition to good reasons posters have mentioned, here are a couple others... or ones I'd like to emphasize:

1) Spoon was a indeed a tremendous interview. He could sell. Majerus usually wasn't and didn't. (I did like his quotes on quality of SLU education)

2) SLU under Spoon was newsworthy. Getting them to the Big Dance was nearly unthinkable at the time, making it fun for fans to get on bandwagon. Today, a bit of been there, done that...

3) Keeping good coaches and recruiting new ones was much more difficult back in day. No building. Little money. Showing recruits West Pine Gym was like recruiting with arm tied behind back. I always wondered if Rich, Charlie, Lorenzo, Brad would have had more recruiting success/stayed longer if Biondi had built Chaifetz earlier..

4) Given 16,000+ average attendance under Spoon, still kills me they didn't build Chaifetz bigger. I understand original plan included second deck but had to be killed due to unbudgeted practice facility and concerns with ground underneath Chaifetz. Regardless, while they won't average that number moving forward, if program begins drawing well again, Scottrade and the dome just down the street for select dates.

Summarizing, it's a different and more sustainable environment today. Major financial commitment from University and key donors made it so. With fine coach who is outstanding recruiter and good media guy in place, and handful of top local recruits as cherry on top -- and wide open spot in top 20 market with no NBA team -- could be a lot of fun.

A-10 membership is still a limiting factor on the potential popularity of the program to non alumni. Dayton and VCU being the lone marquee matchups is not good enough. 

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

That is correct.  In fact, Photoshopping a kid in a jersey is standard.  Schools have been known to go a lot farther than that:

http://www.scout.com/Article/Star-Wars-Kim-K-and-Other-Ways-Colleges-Use-Photoshop-to-Lure-Re-75027283

At the risk of furthering FDL's narrative that my whole purpose here, for over 15 years, is to advance the cause of all things Mizzou: after reading these posts and giving it further thought, I guess I have to retract my accusation that the graphic design is a recruiting violation.  It's the kid, not the school, posting the image.  The school sends it privately to the recruit as part of the pitch, and the kid posts the graphic of the school he commits to — kind of like how, in the old days, kids would have a press conference with each school's hat in a row, and he would put on the hat of the school he would sign with.  The schools send the hats; they aren't going out and buying them.

Therefore, I can't malign Mizzou for its design.  That's just marketing.  They'd be dumb not to use the design they chose, and it's not dirty.  SLU can and should be doing the same kind of "slick" marketing campaigns with its recruits.