Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

The kids are playing AAU to draw this attention. It's not stressing them out, this is why they do it.  No, a kid probably doesn't have to block a number. If one of these kids was being coerced into selling drugs or joining a gang everyday by killers, , you would say they had a choice and chose to do the wrong thing, but you think a coach on the phone is too much pressure? Stop it. You're not giving these kids enough credit.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes if that's an issue sure school can help. Seems like if it is an issue we wouldn't have offered. Certainly one of the most intriguing kids we've had involved with program. Plays at private school freshman year and is ranked as one of the top 10 prospects his year in the country. Can only play second semester at his new public school where he joins another high ranked player and they take the state title. Meanwhile his rankings continue a slow decline. Statesmen should be fun to follow this year.

Per vtime playing aau basketball is just the same as selling drugs.  Kids, make good choices.

Actually I think aau ball is just about that evil.  So I guess vtime isn't that far off.

10 minutes ago, almaman said:

Yes if that's an issue sure school can help. Seems like if it is an issue we wouldn't have offered. Certainly one of the most intriguing kids we've had involved with program. Plays at private school freshman year and is ranked as one of the top 10 prospects his year in the country. Can only play second semester at his new public school where he joins another high ranked player and they take the state title. Meanwhile his rankings continue a slow decline. Statesmen should be fun to follow this year.

Yeah.  They have a tough schedule. Transfer from Maplewood will help them.  Look forward to catching a few games

35 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Per vtime playing aau basketball is just the same as selling drugs.  Kids, make good choices.

Actually I think aau ball is just about that evil.  So I guess vtime isn't that far off.

Who is Vtime? And these kids aren't babies. Some of these kids have babies entering college. There's more pressure coming from parents and bandwagoners than from college coaches. Recruiting is a two way street requiring teo somewhat interested parties. When Crews was recruiting Miles Reynolds at Whitney Young, i don't think Okafor was looking for him after the game and spent his time talking to the high major coaches. You can only recruit kids that want you to recruit them.

3 hours ago, MattyMo213 said:

I remember a while back ford was asked about Martin being hired and how that will affect recruiting and he said that there is plenty of talent in the stl area to go around and he's fine not getting all the top guys every year. To me it seems like cuonzo is just a greedy scumbag who is afraid of slu being more relevant than mizzou and as such, he rejects this "share the wealth" attitude Ford is fine with and wants it all for himself

Share the what??? No no no no, that's not how you recruit at all. You get as many good players as you can, you don't share. Duke and UNC don't share with NC State and Wake Forest. That's absurd.

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

Gordon can be a handful.  I thought he was getting better in the classroom tho. I hope so

Good move for a coach to bad mouth kids anonymously.

I think we can drop this.  Gordon is a very solid commitment.  Quit being baited by fake coaches and fake SLU fans.

6 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Good move for a coach to bad mouth kids anonymously.

I think we can drop this.  Gordon is a very solid commitment.  Quit being baited by fake coaches and fake SLU fans.

Agree.  Gordon is a solid recruit and he hasn't said anything yet about his commitment, all just people reading into things.  Either way, Ford will find talent to fill the scholarships.  

1 hour ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Share the what??? No no no no, that's not how you recruit at all. You get as many good players as you can, you don't share. Duke and UNC don't share with NC State and Wake Forest. That's absurd.

now you're putting words in my mouth. I was putting what Ford said in the interview into shorter terms about how he won't be upset if Martin sometimes gets better area guys than us. If you wanna call Ford's recruiting "absurd" I suggest you take it up with him

2 hours ago, almaman said:

Damn they got a star type joining 2 studs already there? Are they going to get any national exposer espy etc.?

They are playing a National Schedule.  Webster Groves and Vashon ended the year Nationally ranked.  Webster Groves will play in Florida.  Also in the Tournament of Champions in Springfield, MO.  That tournament will be on ESPN i believe.   They also play Vashon again at Webster Groves. 

Edited by Coach314

10 hours ago, Coach314 said:

They are playing a National Schedule.  Webster Groves and Vashon ended the year Nationally ranked.  Webster Groves will play in Florida.  Also in the Tournament of Champions in Springfield, MO.  That tournament will be on ESPN i believe.   They also play Vashon again at Webster Groves. 

3 national tournaments, 3 regional tournaments. 

It would be hard to turn down Ohio State in favor of Mizzou. Ohio State has a great campus, in a large metro area, has a great tradition in athletics and basketball, and is in the 2nd best basketball conference in the land. And its only 6 1/2 hours from St Louis. 

Mizzou has a weird dumpy campus, has gone through scandal after scandal, has no real tradition of success in any sport, and is in a 2nd tier basketball conference. and it is still 2 hours away from St Louis. 

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. 

Eric Bossi still thinks it's between SLU and Mizzou for Watson.  Here is what he said: Link

Right now, I see this is a two-horse race between Missouri and Saint Louis. Travis Fordhas done an outstanding job of locking down local talent since taking over at SLU so he is not to be underestimated here and if this is truly about being closest to home, then the Billikens will be hard to beat. However, if Cuonzo Martin and the Tigers can get Watson on campus within the next few weeks and prove to him that they have a spot for him, then they can win out.

3 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Am I wrong to think Gordon and Thatch is a good enough 2018. If the transfers don't grad transfer we will have an overstocked roster with Watson 

Yes you are wrong. A team that wants to win NCAA games and go deep in the tournament needs as much talent as possible. So many things can happen - transfers, injuries, busts - that you never stop recruiting the best players to fit what you want to do. 

5 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Am I wrong to think Gordon and Thatch is a good enough 2018. If the transfers don't grad transfer we will have an overstocked roster with Watson 

Last I checked, you recruit players not just for one year but for their entire 4 year career. Watson would be a great get, even if he only plays 10-15 minutes his freshman year and 30 minutes thereafter.

42 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

So you'd rather give the scholarship and the roster spot to a worse player? Makes sense.

20 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'd be shocked if Watson came here. I've never seen any evidence that he wants to come here. Every local kid that comes here gives us some indication that playing for his local team is something that's important to him. Despite him holding a SLU offer for almost 3 years, we've never heard that from Watson.

I agree with this.