Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

We've already got 3 scholarships available for 2019 plus whoever decides to transfer after this year. And you know it's gonna happen. It always happens.

In the past nine years, we have had 20 scholarship players with eligibility remaining, leave the program, or quit playing, for one reason or another.  [Walk-on's that don't return aren't included in this number.]  The average is 2.2 per year.  So there is no reason to believe that we won't have at least one player leave after this upcoming season.  (I may have missed one or two, but I counted 20 from the 08-09 season forward.)

20 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

In the past nine years, we have had 20 scholarship players with eligibility remaining, leave the program, or quit playing, for one reason or another.  [Walk-on's that don't return aren't included in this number.]  The average is 2.2 per year.  So there is no reason to believe that we won't have at least one player leave after this upcoming season.  (I may have missed one or two, but I counted 20 from the 08-09 season forward.)

Agree likely will be at least one, but many have come during a coaching change.  Also SLU has three redshirt juniors (4th year students) plus Welmer who is a redshirt sophomore (3rd year student + 1 year prep school)........could possibly have enough credits to graduate and leave if not happy.

The atmosphere this last decade of Billiken Basketball made it environment rich for transfers.

2 new coaches made it clear, Majerus more vocally, Ford a little more subtle, wanted players that fits the style & level  they felt needed to move the program forward. After one year of Ford we only have 2 players left from the Crews/Platt regime. I don't really count Hines. 

The Crews/Platt tenure was not good for team chemistry. This caused transfers. (McBroom & Grandy)

I hoping, with Ford getting his players, I believe will see some stability in the roster. But, we will see transfers, hopefully it's for reasons of a player wanting to get more playing time somewhere else. (Zeke & MN)

Theoretically, the transfers that will be juniors this year could be grad transfers at the end of this season.

2 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I said this awhile ago and got chewed up for it. Someone who doesn't want to compete against Gordon will be grad transferring. Screenshot this

That would have to be Foreman or Bess, which would be a 3rd school for either of them and also presumes that they will have enough credits at the end of this school year to graduate.

5 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

The atmosphere this last decade of Billiken Basketball made it environment rich for transfers.

2 new coaches made it clear, Majerus more vocally, Ford a little more subtle, wanted players that fits the style & level  they felt needed to move the program forward. After one year of Ford we only have 2 players left from the Crews/Platt regime. I don't really count Hines. 

The Crews/Platt tenure was not good for team chemistry. This caused transfers. (McBroom & Grandy)

I hoping, with Ford getting his players, I believe will see some stability in the roster. But, we will see transfers, hopefully it's for reasons of a player wanting to get more playing time somewhere else. (Zeke & MN)

Theoretically, the transfers that will be juniors this year could be grad transfers at the end of this season.

Actually 3:  Roby, Welmer, Bishop.

Posting a lot of updates in the 2018 section of the Recruiting Lists thread today, and I had to stop and share this. Landers Nolley is cutting his list bracket-style. He's got 16 first-round matchups, and they were seeded randomly. SLU is paired with Virginia Tech.

56 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Tim Finke and Justin Ahrens trimmed their list and removed SLU from consideration. No surprise on either of them.

Tim Finke did this a few weeks ago, but Ahrens is new. His recruitment has been a whirlwind since decommitting from Ohio State. Of course, they're a finalist again. They're also a finalist for Finke, as is Vandy, and I don't think either school will take both of them.

Ayo Dosunmu officially cut his list to 11: Xavier, Creighton, Wake Forest, NC State, Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma State, USC, UConn, Memphis, and New Mexico.

He had announced five official visits a while back, then cancelled them. Xavier, Illinois, Wake Forest, and Kansas were four, and I believe the fifth was Northwestern, which is not a finalist.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Ayo Dosunmu officially cut his list to 11: Xavier, Creighton, Wake Forest, NC State, Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma State, USC, UConn, Memphis, and New Mexico.

He had announced five official visits a while back, then cancelled them. Xavier, Illinois, Wake Forest, and Kansas were four, and I believe the fifth was Northwestern, which is not a finalist.

-and Gus breathes a sigh of relief

On 7/19/2017 at 5:14 PM, Pistol said:

I see no reason why we shouldn't offer this particular eighth grader.

We need not look outside the program for precedent: Soderberg offered Tyler Griffey before he ever stepped on a HS court.

In reference to Larry Hughes II, time to start the recruiting 2022 thread?  

https://future150.com/jr/basketball-profiles/larry-hughes-ii-sg-st.-louis-mo-2022

31 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

In reference to Larry Hughes II, time to start the recruiting 2022 thread?  

https://future150.com/jr/basketball-profiles/larry-hughes-ii-sg-st.-louis-mo-2022

I expect us to get a verbal out of this kid any time now.

For those who don't want to click through, this is for a kid who hasn't yet started eighth grade:

Future150's Elite24 All-American Camp (08/05/17-08/06/17) - "Easily one of the most skilled prospects in the camp, regardless of class. At 5'9", he's an unselfish wing who always makes the right pass. His ball skills and shooting ability are also both impressive, as he's the type of player who is always going to make the right play offensively. He's also an aware defender who gets into passing lanes. The son of former NBA player Larry Hughes, it's clear that he gets his skills from his father, and he's going to have an impressive future in the game of basketball."

go to you tube and search larry hughes son basketball.   he has some impressive video of a just to be 8th grader.   step back threes, crossovers, hesitation blow bys, tear drops, etc.   and by the look of it, he has decent size for his age.    it sure seems like the signs are there for young mr hughes to be special.   

4 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

The profile says he goes to Whitfield, I assume he will be headed to CBC for high school?

pretty sure the daughters go to country day and i believe jr will also go to country day.   but who knows, maybe larry's high school running mate tatum gets the prize.