Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Looking ahead, unless we can land a high quality 2018 player, I don't think it would be a bad idea to wait until after this upcoming season to see if we can land an impact transfer. That way, the transfer can sit for the 18-19 season and be ready to step in after Henriquez, Bess and Foreman graduate. I know Ford has said he doesn't want to continue to build his team around transfers, but I don't think it is a bad approach with this scholarship.

I agree.  It would be nice to have a high quality transfer sitting next year when F/B/AD are in their Senior year and ready to step in the following year when they are gone and playing time is more readily available.  I like that approach, because I continue to think the year after F/B/AD leave is going to be our most challenging year especially if Gordon would be leaving at the same time as a one and doner.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, ACE said:

Looking ahead, unless we can land a high quality 2018 player, I don't think it would be a bad idea to wait until after this upcoming season to see if we can land an impact transfer. That way, the transfer can sit for the 18-19 season and be ready to step in after Henriquez, Bess and Foreman graduate. I know Ford has said he doesn't want to continue to build his team around transfers, but I don't think it is a bad approach with this scholarship.

While I like the idea of an impact transfer, as long as Ford can get a kid he really likes in 2018 I think you do that.  Odds are that there will be a transfer or two from our team after the year so I wouldn't want to pass on a quality kid to save for end of the year when one or two could open up anyways.  

If we want to land a 4 star shooting guard out of high school, 2019 would be that class. Plenty of time to offer, should be coming off a good season and we're in on some pretty good players already. And we'd have that kid for four years as opposed to two. Going after another transfer in 2018 would sabotage that effort.

2 hours ago, slusam said:

In an earlier interview Ford said he really likes the 2018 class and said they could end up with 3-4 recruits from this class. I would be very surprised if they save a spot for a transfer.

Which means players will leave. I won't be surprised if our 3 first transfers decide to grad transfer with Gordon coming in 

28 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Which means players will leave. I won't be surprised if our 3 first transfers decide to grad transfer with Gordon coming in 

A couple of things.  You are assuming that they are on pace to graduate in 4 years even with maybe losing some credits in the transfer process.  Also, what kind of logic would lead you to conclude that Gordon's arrival would cause any of them to leave when that arrival could be turning the team into a powerhouse?

1 hour ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I won't be surprised if the Billiken transfers and we end up with some generic mascot.  The Saint Louis Bulldogs.  Thanks a lot, Gordon. 

5 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

With regards to Hellems, any chance he was at the Chaminade/Althoff game where Hellems put on an absolute show offensively. Anyone at or who watched film of that game had to be really impressed. He knocked down shots from deep (7-9 from 3) as well as hitting mid range shots and getting to the rim (8-14 inside the arc and 10-12 from the line). The timing would line up (the game was on January 21st and the offer from Indiana was on January 24th). One of the better offensive games I have seen a kid have. In that same game, Goodwin had 42 points and 18 rebounds, so an impressive battle.

We did have that one's stream posted  here, I watched most. Classic local HS game for sure.

11 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

And who knows....since all are 5th year guys, one or two may be able you get their degree and leave.

There is a growing trend for transfers to go a third school as a GT. I think we played against two in the A10 and if I remember maybe it was Oregon in the Final Four with one also. So never say never. You get your degree in 4 and you want your final season to be memorable. 

22 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

There is a growing trend for transfers to go a third school as a GT. I think we played against two in the A10 and if I remember maybe it was Oregon in the Final Four with one also. So never say never. You get your degree in 4 and you want your final season to be memorable. 

Yea but I say it and get attacked. 

5 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Gordon coming in won't impact AD or Bess when it comes to playing time.  

There will be plenty of minutes left to keep Foreman satisfied.  That is if Foreman bounces back fully from his hip surgery.  Gordon can't play the 4 and 5 at the same time.  French and Gordon won't be playing 30 mpg either.

1 minute ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Because Gordon will take a lot of minutes that's why

How many front court players averaged 30 mpg for Ford at OSU? How many averaged over 25 MPG?  Ford had history of spreading out the minutes of his front court players at OSU, why do you think that is going to change now at SLU?