Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, teamarete said:

Not sure if this has been posted, but in the new ESPN 2018 rankings, Torrence Watson is now 56th overall.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/221101/torrance-watson

Gordon fell to #23

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2018 

34 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

And it will change several more times before he arrives at SLU...................will take him just as enthusiastically at 23, 10, or whatever.  Still a huge get.

22 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

And it will change several more times before he arrives at SLU...................will take him just as enthusiastically at 23, 10, or whatever.  Still a huge get.

Hopefully we get a chance to see Gordon at full force next month at Peach Jam. Team Penny is pretty loaded.

18 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

May ultimately be a 2019 offer.  Rivera is considering a year of prep school.

Little bit of a late bloomer; he mentioned taking a prep year several months ago, before he had any D-I offers. Now UMass, UMass-Lowell, SLU, and Jacksonville have offered. He still might take that prep year. He's still a wee bit on the small side but he's an excellent shooter and relentless worker. Nice get for a smaller program at this point, but if he continues to develop he could be a sneaky get as a role player.

3 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Not concerned at all about the ranking drop; I think I said last week that somewhere between 9 and 44 (his highest and lowest rankings) was the correct spot, and that I'm happy to have him go even lower if it means less outside interest and more of a chip on his shoulder.

Watson's rise in the ESPN rankings despite his slow drop in other rankings, that's even more interesting to me.

As for Hellems, I'll echo both the optimism of some and concerns of @TheChosenOne. He does have a nice stat line from this past season and has showed well, but there's no question he faded down the stretch after the offer from Indiana. He went cold, tried to force too many things offensively, and just looked out of sync with his team in ways that he didn't look earlier in the season. He's playing well for BBE this spring and he's definitely a player we're watching - I just have a tough time projecting his game at the next level. He's a steady player with a good frame, a perimeter shot, and a lot of experience; he also doesn't have the athleticism that makes him a no-doubter.

JJ isn't a bad comparison in terms of our current roster, but I don't think he has Johnson's length. JJ also has a relentless work ethic that I haven't seen from Hellems (yet).

I know there are a lot of Chaminade-SLU double alums here who follow both programs closely. No doubt we'll be keeping an eye on him.

1 hour ago, slusam said:

C George Conditt received an offer from SLU

This kid is an extremely intriguing prospect. No one knew his name six months ago (he went to Crete-Monee HS on the fringe of the Chicago area as a freshman before transferring to Corliss, one of the smaller public schools on Chicago's south side), he had virtually no offers three months ago, and now he has about 20, including SLU, Illinois, and Houston. He has grown about 6 inches in the past 2 years, so he flashes some guard abilities - surprisingly good handles, breaking down defenders on the dribble, and shooting from deep. Because of the growth spurt, he's skinny. But with that skill level and long frame, he can't be ignored any longer.

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

As for Hellems, I'll echo both the optimism of some and concerns of @TheChosenOne. He does have a nice stat line from this past season and has showed well, but there's no question he faded down the stretch after the offer from Indiana. He went cold, tried to force too many things offensively, and just looked out of sync with his team in ways that he didn't look earlier in the season. He's playing well for BBE this spring and he's definitely a player we're watching - I just have a tough time projecting his game at the next level. He's a steady player with a good frame, a perimeter shot, and a lot of experience; he also doesn't have the athleticism that makes him a no-doubter.

JJ isn't a bad comparison in terms of our current roster, but I don't think he has Johnson's length. JJ also has a relentless work ethic that I haven't seen from Hellems (yet).

I know there are a lot of Chaminade-SLU double alums here who follow both programs closely. No doubt we'll be keeping an eye on him.

-does CCP stream their games or with you living in Cincy how are you seeing him? I am not doubting that you are seeing him, just wondering how, the innerwebs, what a gizmo

-heck, if they stream with quality I might be tempted to watch some games given the limited seating at their home gym, although I have not been shutout getting in to any...yet

-Hellems was a kid that from my view needed to mature some/calm the antics, from what I saw he did last season, the kid from Lutheran North should consider following that script for the next few years

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-does CCP stream their games or with you living in Cincy how are you seeing him? I am not doubting that you are seeing him, just wondering how, the innerwebs, what a gizmo

-heck, if they stream with quality I might be tempted to watch some games given the limited seating at their home gym, although I have not been shutout getting in to any...yet

-Hellems was a kid that from my view needed to mature some/calm the antics, from what I saw he did last season, the kid from Lutheran North should consider following that script for the next few years

Yes they steam on the award winning CSPN network. As far as Hellems is concerned, I don't see him being athletic enough for what Ford is trying to do. Yes he may eventually be The Valley POY, but I don't see him as a fit. Yes, I am a Chaminade Alumnus. 

8 minutes ago, slusam said:

Bills offered 6'8" Soulemane Koureissi

WHO?  and where is he from?

With all the offers, it appears that this staff recruits using the theory of throwing a lot of $#!^ against the wall and seeing what sticks.  So far that seems to be a far better approach than whatever Crews did/or didn't!  I guess I'll never understand how it would work if some of these guys (too many) would come back to us and say they accept our offer.  Do we just tell them to hold on if our priority is another player? 

10 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Is SLU tendering more offers under Ford than under previous regimes, or are we just hearing more about recruiting because the information landscape has changed?

It's both, really. I think last year at some point I counted more live offers than ever before, and I think the 2018-2019 classes will break that record. At the same time, in the past it was hard to pinpoint how many guys were actually being offered, even as recently as Majerus' time. There's a lot more information available now. However, I am fairly certain we never reached this level.

On 6/18/2017 at 7:43 PM, BIG BILL FAN said:

Shot 45.1% from 3 point line 79.4 from ft line. Seems like a great shooter to me. 

The last month of the season he made 3 of 17 from 3 or 17.65%. 40.71% from the field during that same time, but up to 84.21% from the free throw line. He really lost his shot the final month of the season. And at that point the team became less unselfish as he kind of became a ball hog with little success. So he really brought the team down as they looked nothing like the team that was so good early in the season playing incredibly unselfish team basketball. He started to force a lot and kind of relied upon getting fouls called. 

In EYBL play, he is shooting 38.1% from the field (43 for 113), 26.9% from 3 (7 for 26), and 78.6% (44 for 56) from the line while averaging 8.8 points, 5.8 rebounds (26 offensive/68 defensive), and 1.2 assists vs. 1.9 TOs.

Like I said, I have seen the kid play a dozen or so times and follow the Chaminade program really closely. He is a below average athlete at the major college level if you project him as a wing player, so he likely won't succeed on the wing, but then he lacks the length/strength/toughness to play in the post. So he is between positions in my opinion at this level. Early in the season when he was shooting a really high percentage from deep and showing a strong mid-range game I thought maybe he could be kind of Jayson Tatum extra light. Then he really lost his perimeter shot and became kind of an offense killer while not turning up the intensity in some of his other areas of weakness. Defensively he is fairly soft against kids who are more post type players and while he can go and get rebounds he doesn't do a very good job of boxing out and fighting guys for rebounds. He lacks the foot speed to guard on the perimeter against above average competition.

For me, I would not offer Hellems at this point. If he improves some of his deficiencies and finds his shot again, maybe I would reconsider.

16 minutes ago, bauman said:

WHO?  and where is he from?

With all the offers, it appears that this staff recruits using the theory of throwing a lot of $#!^ against the wall and seeing what sticks.  So far that seems to be a far better approach than whatever Crews did/or didn't!  I guess I'll never understand how it would work if some of these guys (too many) would come back to us and say they accept our offer.  Do we just tell them to hold on if our priority is another player? 

6-8 multi-position player from Iona Prep, where 2019 SLU recruit Bryce Wills plays. It's north of NYC, and I think Koureissi's family is from Harlem (Souleymane is a common name in the French-speaking countries of West Africa, but I'm not sure which country his family is originally from). He's been on the D-I radar for a while but started to rise rapidly in April on the adidas AAU circuit playing for Castle. He's got great handles and passing ability for his size (I've seen him listed as tall as 6-9, thought to still be growing, and with a long frame), a developing jumper, and projects as a wing or stretch forward in college even though he plays the post sometimes in HS. Late bloomer with a high ceiling.

As for your second question, I'm guessing every staff handles it a little differently. Every recruit is a different case and needs to be managed differently. You never know until you get to know a player what he wants to hear in your pitch. There are no absolutes. And there are a ton of variables at any point in time, which makes this sort of impossible to answer.

I think we know that Soderberg's downfall from a recruiting standpoint was twofold: getting hung up on certain players and not having a backup plan, and waiting too long to get involved with others. Basically, he overthought it. He's also an extremely frank guy, and sometimes your plan B and C players still might have some sensitivity about their status.

Crews was guilty of both of those things, as well, and he also thought he could build a roster of tall, lanky perimeter players with limited athleticism that may have been competitive in the 1980s and earlier but not today. So he'd be too late to offer the right players, too late to have good backup options in place, and too content to sign too many of the same type.

Ford and his staff have a more modern approach. They have no fear of missing out on a kid. They have plenty of options in place. They're staying in contact with a lot of these guys. They're working all the local/regional angles well. They're building pipelines where the assistants have strongholds - NYC, the Southeast, Chicago, etc.

Put another way: When we missed out on Tatum, there was nowhere else to go. If we miss out on, say, Torrence Watson, we still have a glut of worthy options.