Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

5 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Yes. Scout has always had him rated lowest of the major scouting networks, iirc

9 is probably a bit high, 44 is probably a bit low. If they want to drop him out of the rankings and make him less vulnerable to outsiders and put a chip on his shoulder, I'm fine with that.

Watson has been in the 75-100 range all along, and it's interesting to see him creep downward because he continues to progress and put up big numbers. I guess he's just not showing the arc some other prospects in the 75-150 range are. He'll be a nice player, regardless.

Thatch is a tough player to rate, rank, and project. I like him and think he'll be a good fit.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Pistol said:

9 is probably a bit high, 44 is probably a bit low. If they want to drop him out of the rankings and make him less vulnerable to outsiders and put a chip on his shoulder, I'm fine with that.

Watson has been in the 75-100 range all along, and it's interesting to see him creep downward because he continues to progress and put up big numbers. I guess he's just not showing the arc some other prospects in the 75-150 range are. He'll be a nice player, regardless.

Thatch is a tough player to rate, rank, and project. I like him and think he'll be a good fit.

+1

also gordon retweeted slu stuff yesterday for anyone still concerned about him decommitting 

Ohio State offered Watson.

As a reminder, Watson's final 8: SLU, Mizzou, Butler, Creighton, Marquette, K-State, Michigan, Vandy.

Chris Holtmann took the OSU job; Watson might be swapping out Butler on that list.

It bears repeating that Watson has mentioned staying close to home. Butler is about 4 hours away, and OSU is more like 6.5. Although maybe all his finalists are in the "close enough" range.

Pickett going to Mizzou doesn't help Watson there. Marquette has one scholarship and Watson isn't priority #1 for it. There should be roster space at Michigan and Vandy but I don't think he's the top priority at either of those, either. SLU's status probably depends on how he feels about Thatch in the class. That leaves K-State and Creighton, and Creighton might be the most open roster for him.

Watson wanted to make his official visits in August. That will be an interesting list.

9 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Our good friend Roy posted Ayo Dosunmu's top 5 of Xavier, Illinois, Northwestern, Kansas and Wake Forest.  I haven't seen it elsewhere unless I missed it.  

I don't think this is a list of finalists; I think it's where he's taking his official visits. That could more or less be the same thing in practice, but they're not an official "top 5".

52 minutes ago, Pistol said:

As a reminder, Watson's final 8: SLU, Mizzou, Butler, Creighton, Marquette, K-State, Michigan, Vandy.

Chris Holtmann took the OSU job; Watson might be swapping out Butler on that list.

It bears repeating that Watson has mentioned staying close to home. Butler is about 4 hours away, and OSU is more like 6.5. Although maybe all his finalists are in the "close enough" range.

Pickett going to Mizzou doesn't help Watson there. Marquette has one scholarship and Watson isn't priority #1 for it. There should be roster space at Michigan and Vandy but I don't think he's the top priority at either of those, either. SLU's status probably depends on how he feels about Thatch in the class. That leaves K-State and Creighton, and Creighton might be the most open roster for him.

Watson wanted to make his official visits in August. That will be an interesting list.

Looks like it's a final 9 now.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Watson would be a great 3rd recruit for 2018. Man, I hope T-Ford can work some magic.

4 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Interesting. I didn't think SLU was in on him. I think I would be cool with that? 

You may be cool with that?  My, how we have raised our recruiting expectations.  Nice in a way, I admit.  Hellems coming to St. Louis would be huge.  We get a great player and it would show once again that St. Louis is a desirable destination for the local kids for a host of reasons.  It would be a smart pickup by Ford.  Either way, you gotta trust Ford on whatever choice he makes at this point.     

1 hour ago, HoosierBilliken said:

You may be cool with that?  My, how we have raised our recruiting expectations.  Nice in a way, I admit.  Hellems coming to St. Louis would be huge.  We get a great player and it would show once again that St. Louis is a desirable destination for the local kids for a host of reasons.  It would be a smart pickup by Ford.  Either way, you gotta trust Ford on whatever choice he makes at this point.     

TBH I haven't focused much on Hellems because I didn't think SLU was interested. I know he scored 47 points one time and at one point got an IU offer. Haven't heard much behind that 

16 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

It would open up that Chaminade Pipeline...which being an alum, I am cool with.

When did you graduate?

For me, Hellems is the type of local player I would probably pass on to pursue better out of state talent, but that might be proven wrong. I just question his position at the next level unless he proves to be a really big time shooter (some games last season he just couldn't miss) or gets considerably stronger since he is a below average athlete for a high major wing/small forward.

3 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

When did you graduate?

For me, Hellems is the type of local player I would probably pass on to pursue better out of state talent, but that might be proven wrong. I just question his position at the next level unless he proves to be a really big time shooter (some games last season he just couldn't miss) or gets considerably stronger since he is a below average athlete for a high major wing/small forward.

I just watched his highlights for the first time. You are crazy. He is an incredibly talented player. He would be an amazing pickup. He also is a small forward.  He would fit perfectly with the group in that class. I wouldn't be surprised if he rises on the recruiting boards next year. Just kind of confused as to what you saw in the video. A 6'7" player that can run, shoot, and pass. Can score a lot as well.

4 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

When did you graduate?

'96. Before basketball was big at Chaminade. Bill Coby graduated the year before.

3 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I just watched his highlights for the first time. You are crazy. He is an incredibly talented player. He would be an amazing pickup. He also is a small forward.  He would fit perfectly with the group in that class. I wouldn't be surprised if he rises on the recruiting boards next year. Just kind of confused as to what you saw in the video. A 6'7" player that can run, shoot, and pass. Can score a lot as well.

What I have seen in person. I have probably watched Hellems a dozen times. I have concerns with whether he can be a small forward at the major college level. It is just my opinion, but it is based on watching him a lot. Just not a high major athlete and he seemingly lost his jump shot late in the season and it doesn't look like he has rediscovered it. Late in the season when he lost his shot he kind of became a ball hog looking to draw fouls where he shoots a really high percentage from the line, but struggled finishing going to the rim. Kid is really good and is a skilled player, but I am not sure if he is above a Valley level player due to some of his limitations. To me he might be a high floor low ceiling type.

On 6/17/2017 at 4:30 PM, TheChosenOne said:

What I have seen in person. I have probably watched Hellems a dozen times. I have concerns with whether he can be a small forward at the major college level. It is just my opinion, but it is based on watching him a lot. Just not a high major athlete and he seemingly lost his jump shot late in the season and it doesn't look like he has rediscovered it. Late in the season when he lost his shot he kind of became a ball hog looking to draw fouls where he shoots a really high percentage from the line, but struggled finishing going to the rim. Kid is really good and is a skilled player, but I am not sure if he is above a Valley level player due to some of his limitations. To me he might be a high floor low ceiling type.

Shot 45.1% from 3 point line 79.4 from ft line. Seems like a great shooter to me.