Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

10 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I'm not sure which one is more athletic since I haven't seen them play. As far as size, according to 247, Thatch is 6'3" 195 lbs, while Watson is 6'4" 175 lbs. If that's true, I think you have to give the size advantage to Thatch.

Huh, when I have seen them both side-by-side, Watson looks a couple inches taller. Watson is definitely more wiry. Thatch - much like French, Goodwin, and Gordon - seems to have a man's body already.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Zink said:

Huh, when I have seen them both side-by-side, Watson looks a couple inches taller. Watson is definitely more wiry. Thatch - much like French, Goodwin, and Gordon - seems to have a man's body already.

When you add Thatch and Gordon to the rest of our team, we are just going to physically kick the crap out of a lot of teams.

25 minutes ago, ACE said:

When you add Thatch and Gordon to the rest of our team, we are just going to physically kick the crap out of a lot of teams.

Has a SLU team EVER been able to say that? I feel like the Bills have never had a big team. In fact, it seem like we are always one of the smaller ones.

1 minute ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Has a SLU team EVER been able to say that? I feel like the Bills have never had a big team. In fact, it seem like we are always one of the smaller ones.

The one year Butler was in the A10, Brad Stevens made the point multiple times that SLU was the biggest, toughest, strongest team they played all season. And that included North Carolina, Indiana, Gonzaga, etc.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I don't know the answer to this, but who's the better player, Thatch or Watson?  Any opinion?  Doesn't really matter, because we have Thatch, and I'm excited that we have Thatch.  Just wanting to get some thoughts.

I heard second hand that the coaching staff still wants both.  But they are very pleased with Thatch and if they don't get Watson, they feel we are still covered at SG.  My reading of this comment was that it is a toss up between the two.  Both bring slightly different skill sets, but both would/will be great Billikens.

Watson is the all-around better player right now, and probably has a higher ceiling as well.

He appears to be a good 2 inches taller than Thatch, maybe more. Watson is 6-4 or 6-5, Thatch is definitely not 6-3.

They're much different players. That's one of the reasons I think they can coexist at SLU. Watson scores on all three levels. Thatch isn't much of a shooter. Watson is longer and more fluid. Thatch is more compact and strong, with deceptive explosiveness.

I think Thatch is going to be one of those guys in college whose contributions might not be fully seen on a basic statsheet, at least in the scoring column, but who elevates the team and everyone around him.

I like the way Thatch fits with what Ford is building in terms of the makeup of this roster. He's a gamer. Really tough, plays bigger than his size, very competitive. He fits in extremely well with the character of the core being assembled - namely Goodwin, French, and Gordon.

13 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Watson is the all-around better player right now, and probably has a higher ceiling as well.

He appears to be a good 2 inches taller than Thatch, maybe more. Watson is 6-4 or 6-5, Thatch is definitely not 6-3.

They're much different players. That's one of the reasons I think they can coexist at SLU. Watson scores on all three levels. Thatch isn't much of a shooter. Watson is longer and more fluid. Thatch is more compact and strong, with deceptive explosiveness.

I think Thatch is going to be one of those guys in college whose contributions might not be fully seen on a basic statsheet, at least in the scoring column, but who elevates the team and everyone around him.

I like the way Thatch fits with what Ford is building in terms of the makeup of this roster. He's a gamer. Really tough, plays bigger than his size, very competitive. He fits in extremely well with the character of the core being assembled - namely Goodwin, French, and Gordon.

Agree.  Watson is definitely the better scorer.  When i watched Thatch against Chaminade and Vashon he struggled when taller defenders guarded him.  He plays hard tho and will fill the stat sheet as Pistol said.

20 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Think he can turn into Rosey Jones? If so, that would be awesome

8 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Agree.  Watson is definitely the better scorer.  When i watched Thatch against Chaminade and Vashon he struggled when taller defenders guarded him.  He plays hard tho and will fill the stat sheet as Pistol said.

Watson also struggled to score when guys even 6'3 guarded him.  I'm not sure that proves anything.

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

FUOK Mizzou and their fans. you can't be an equal fan of both teams. 

Actually I agree with this.  I have people who say to me why can you not be happy that Missouri is getting better - easy, at some level it will be at SLU's expense and vice versa.  There is no way you can be happy if a player choose one over the other.  You are either a fan of SLU or Missouri - you might watch both teams but you have to be one or the other.

14 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Haha Mizzou is trash and so is everyone on here who supports them 

No.

I find the tweet aggravating, but I seem to recall that several SLU fans had very much a similar attitude as early as June or July, 2016, regarding flipping Tilmon from Illinois to the Billikens, and that wishful thinking persisted until last month.  What's the difference between the two?

I find the attitude of some Mizzou fans annoying, and I find the attitude of some SLU fans annoying, but I don't let that color my perception of the teams.

56 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

No.

I find the tweet aggravating, but I seem to recall that several SLU fans had very much a similar attitude as early as June or July, 2016, regarding flipping Tilmon from Illinois to the Billikens, and that wishful thinking persisted until last month.  What's the difference between the two?

I find the attitude of some Mizzou fans annoying, and I find the attitude of some SLU fans annoying, but I don't let that color my perception of the teams.

Completely different situation. Billiken fans were discussing the possibility of Groce getting fired and Tilmon reopening his recruitment.

57 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Ramey and Watson are the stars but Reece is a consistent contributor now.  He barely got off the bench for BBE.  He's probably the 3rd best player on Team Ramey.

That's good to hear. Sounds like leaving BBE was a good decision for him.

33 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

I'm not sure how this good for SLU. You don't really want him to change teams and start blowing up nationally, it's just more competition for him on the recruiting trail.

Alternatively, he gets to play more and can develop his skills against good competition