Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, runandshoot said:

Gordon broke or severly sprained his ankle two weeks ago in tourney in Indy. Hes been in a boot since.  

That (obviously) sucks big time for Gordon.  I'm sure he was looking forward to playing ball over the summer.  Here is wishing him a full and speedy recovery.

That being said, Gordon not playing AAU ball might be a good thing for SLU as it probably means less slime ball opposing coaches trying to shake his commitment to be a BIlliken.

55 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I believe we have an offer out to Nik Bonitto.  He is a 6'4 210# g/sf out of St. Thomas Aquinas in Fort Lauderdale.  He is, also, a 4 star top 150/200 football recruit with offers from some of the top football programs in the country.  Would love to land this guy, but i think football night be his first love.

Looks like he's going to go with football, or possibly somewhere where he can play both.

I have been present when Dr. Pestello was asked about a SLU football team. The answer always was no, period. You  are forgetting the small detail of obtaining approval from the administration to go ahead with your plan. I hate to rain on your party but it is not likely to come.

@Old guy, I'm pretty sure those posts (on this page of this thread) about starting a football team are tongue-in-cheek.  I'm sure it would be obvious in in-person dialogue, but picking up on those things in written text is tricky.

(I was tempted to post, "This could be in blue ink, right?" to Franchise 08's post but refrained.)

Here's a very short article about Watson that came out this week. When asked about which schools were showing him the most love right now, he only mentions Butler and Mizzou. Seems like SLU was included on that list in every other past article. Maybe we're not recruiting him as hard as we were in the past? He also recently posted a picture of every school that's recruiting him. 

6 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

that makes me angry 

That makes me laugh. I still have friends who think SPUMAC is on another level from SLU. Literally the other day, one asked me, "Isn't SLU getting all these Mizzou rejects?"  He was referencing Frankie Hughes... who hasn't been connected to us other than maybe one Frank C tweet.

Now we see tweets like these just praying that they are able to steal a committed recruit from us and it makes me chuckle. 

5 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

That makes me laugh. I still have friends who think SPUMAC is on another level from SLU. Literally the other day, one asked me, "Isn't SLU getting all these Mizzou rejects?"  He was referencing Frankie Hughes... who hasn't been connected to us other than maybe one Frank C tweet.

Now we see tweets like these just praying that they are able to steal a committed recruit from us and it makes me chuckle. 

As crappy as we were the past the last three seasons, we still have been a better program over the past 6 years.

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Here's a very short article about Watson that came out this week. When asked about which schools were showing him the most love right now, he only mentions Butler and Mizzou. Seems like SLU was included on that list in every other past article. Maybe we're not recruiting him as hard as we were in the past? He also recently posted a picture of every school that's recruiting him. 

Bummer. I would have really liked to have T. Watson be a Billiken. I'm guessing Butler.  

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Bummer. I would have really liked to have T. Watson be a Billiken. I'm guessing Butler.  

I wouldn't read too much into it. That's just a snapshot, not indicative of the full evolution. I can say that the schools that have seemed to be most involved from the start are: Mizzou, Butler, Creighton, Iowa State, K-State, Marquette, and SLU. Every time he's been asked the question, it's some combination of those 7 - sometimes all 7, sometimes just a few. But those have been consistent. There's no doubt that Butler and Mizzou are two of his leaders. Just not the only ones.

SLU's challenge here is that we've already got Thatch committed and I've heard that Watson is putting a lot of emphasis on playing big minutes right away. I think he's immediately one of our best players and there's no question he'd get big minutes at SLU from the start - he's just worried about a positional logjam. I get it.

If memory serves, I think he was hoping to start taking official visits around this time and have a list of finalists in late spring. Looks like that might be pushed back a little bit. But he was hoping to commit before his senior HS season starts and sign on the first day of the signing period. I'd expect him to stick with that.

Regardless of whether he ultimately signs with SLU or not, the 2018 class is loaded with talent and we're involved with a lot of exciting players. I'd absolutely love Watson to be a Billiken, but if he doesn't think this is the right place for him, we'll still be okay.

13 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I don't know the answer to this, but who's the better player, Thatch or Watson?  Any opinion?  Doesn't really matter, because we have Thatch, and I'm excited that we have Thatch.  Just wanting to get some thoughts.

I haven't seen either play live, but I think more people would say Watson is the better outside shooter. I know they played against each other this year, but I can't find the article. If I remember correctly, Thatch had a huge stat line that game and Watson struggled against the Sikeston defense.

13 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I don't know the answer to this, but who's the better player, Thatch or Watson?  Any opinion?  Doesn't really matter, because we have Thatch, and I'm excited that we have Thatch.  Just wanting to get some thoughts.

I really like Thatch, but Watson seems to be more athletic, a better shooter, and has better size. Watson also seems to be getting more love from the ranking services.

4 minutes ago, Zink said:

I really like Thatch, but Watson seems to be more athletic, a better shooter, and has better size. Watson also seems to be getting more love from the ranking services.

I'm not sure which one is more athletic since I haven't seen them play. As far as size, according to 247, Thatch is 6'3" 195 lbs, while Watson is 6'4" 175 lbs. If that's true, I think you have to give the size advantage to Thatch.

26 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Watson is consistently rated higher. My MBM opinion just based on watching a few videos and reading some stuff is that Watson is more skilled and is viewed as having more upside, but Thatch has a higher motor, more of a bulldog, does more damage inside, perhaps better defensively - a bit of Jordair to his game, which would be great.