Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Now half an hour later, Frank C tweets DePaul may be the leader for Tilmon. 

am I missing something here?  If he enjoyed th coach so much why did he only play one year before leaving again.

probably whoever was paying said they were not paying for it anymore. 

23 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Looks like we are going after high east coast talent and local. What does the other assistant coach look for, or do we have 2 assistants who recruit east coast?

Coach Macon has been recruiting the east coast hard. He has some great connections out there.

Macon is the NY guy; he's obviously got great connections up there and is working the region hard.

Tate's the local guy.

Bailey is a Chicago guy but spent the previous six seasons at LaSalle and has experience in the northeast, south, and broader Midwest regions. If you look at our offer lists, basically everyone is from one of the regions these guys know. We don't do much of anything outside these areas.

41 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Macon is the NY guy; he's obviously got great connections up there and is working the region hard.

Tate's the local guy.

Bailey is a Chicago guy but spent the previous six seasons at LaSalle and has experience in the northeast, south, and broader Midwest regions. If you look at our offer lists, basically everyone is from one of the regions these guys know. We don't do much of anything outside these areas.

Reportedly Ford has connections in Louisiana and Florida. I would guess that is how Jalen Johnson came about and perhaps was a factor with Henriquez.

18 minutes ago, ACE said:

Reportedly Ford has connections in Louisiana and Florida. I would guess that is how Jalen Johnson came about and perhaps was a factor with Henriquez.

Yeah, I didn't mention Ford himself, but he's always been strong in the Southeast, for sure. Bailey played at UAB and has some other SE connections, too.

11 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, I didn't mention Ford himself, but he's always been strong in the Southeast, for sure. Bailey played at UAB and has some other SE connections, too.

Seems hes strong across all of the south. weren't all of his big recruits out of Dallas?  

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Seems hes strong across all of the south. weren't all of his big recruits out of Dallas?  

Yeah, he recruited the Dallas area well, but that's like 4 hours from OK State, and the closest major city after OKC. Kinda like how every SLU coach has recruited the Chicago area. Anyway, based on our offer lists, we haven't done much in Texas - one offer to a kid in Arlington, and that's it.

Alan Griffin - SG, 6-5, 180 - White Plains, NY (Archbishop Stepinac) - Twitter: @alangriffin_

Offers: SLU, UMass, Fordham, St. Bonaventure, La Salle, Old Dominion, Iona, Manhattan, Hofstra, Marist.

Interest: Seton Hall, St. John's, Delaware.

Latest News: SLU is the latest to offer Griffin, giving him 10 offers overall, half of which are from A10 programs. (5/11/17)

Scouting Report: Griffin is a knockdown shooter from the perimeter who can also get to the basket to score. He can also fill up a stat sheet, getting assists in transition, rebounding his position well, and using his length and strength to create turnovers. Griffin is the son of former NBA player and Seton Hall alum Adrian Griffin. He started his HS career at Oak Park-River Forest HS outside Chicago, transferred to Ossining (NY) as a sophomore, and then to Stepinac for his junior and senior seasons.

-My thoughts here: Intriguing prospect with a lot of upside. He seems to be a streaky scorer, but scores enough to where it's not a major concern. It just means he hits takeover mode sometimes. He's at his third high school in as many academic years, but he'll be at Stepinac again this upcoming season. The first transfer was after his dad left the Bulls for the Magic, although I'm not sure how he decided to land in NY. Anyway, he mostly grew up in Chicago, where his dad had two playing stints and a 5-year coaching tenure. SLU is his first offer outside the Northeast. He's playing for the NY Rens on the Nike EYBL AAU circuit.

26 minutes ago, STLsportsfan said:

Thatch is now rated as a 3 star prospect by ESPN

It's about time. And honestly, I can see him maybe rising to a 4-star on ESPN. For example, he used to be like 220 in the nation of 247 and now he's 165, and I would hope that he rises even more. Obviously Ford and the staff know how good Thatch can be, because when they recruited French he wasn't top 100, and he had a huge senior year and is now ranked 87, So I'm anticipating the same thing happening to Thatch

Ford's comment in the last line in today's Post article interesting.........

“I need a scholarship or two for that (2018) class because I like that class,” Ford said. “We’re focused on it hard. We’re having some success, but I’d like to be able to sign three or four in that class.”

So if any other signings for 2017,  likely a grad transfer.  

If SLU gets Gordon and Thatch as expected,  and with a waiting Santos redshirting, then would love to fill that last scholarship with big athletic shooter.

I believe we have an offer out to Nik Bonitto.  He is a 6'4 210# g/sf out of St. Thomas Aquinas in Fort Lauderdale.  He is, also, a 4 star top 150/200 football recruit with offers from some of the top football programs in the country.  Would love to land this guy, but i think football night be his first love.