Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was just browsing 247sports for the 2018 player rankings and noticed Thatch shot up from 228 to 165. I was just wondering what you guys on here think he'll end up being towards the end of next year, as his stock seems to be similar to what happened to French this year, as it rose drastically at the end of the year. 

http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Side note, Gordon is down from 25 to 34 ☹️

I wouldn't read much into Gordon's rankings falling. One of the people I respect most as a eye for basketball talent has gone to see him play multiple times and according to him he "looks authentically bored" out there playing right now. 

The kid is a beast. He's going to be a beast. 

4 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

I wouldn't read much into Gordon's rankings falling. One of the people I respect most as a eye for basketball talent has gone to see him play multiple times and according to him he "looks authentically bored" out there playing right now. 

The kid is a beast. He's going to be a beast. 

What do you think about Thatch rising then?

1 minute ago, MattyMo213 said:

What do you think about Thatch rising then?

Sort of plays into what I'm saying. Thatch is hungry, he is getting after it. 

And what I'm NOT SAYING is that Gordon isn't hungry, but when day in and day out you are dominating, things become a little mundane. He is still only 17. We often forget to cut these kids some slack. I would be shocked not to see him rise in rankings again during his SR season. 

30 minutes ago, Old guy said:

At this time I would not pay much attention to the number of stars of ranking of a particular player. I think we must trust Ford and his staff to guide us.

Stars do matter, but paying attention to it now shouldn't be something to look too much into especially before AAU season. After AAU is done I'm sure Gordon will be a 5* and thatch a 4*. Gordon's ranking drop was from hs season where he played the back half of and had to share a court with Ramey. Not something to worry about at all. Thatch and Gordon should turn up this season and will be great to keep track of 

The rankings updates are all about high visibility AAU teams and expectations going into the spring.  Thatch is a known 3 star player that has played 8 games for an AAU team that all the gurus are watching and has been solid.  Gordon has played a grand total of one game, where he got injured.

Guys like Jared Rhoden and Demarius Jacobs were relative unknowns going into this spring and were unranked.  There were no expectations for them going into the spring.  They will continue to be unranked until more gurus start paying attention.  They're outplaying guys who have much stronger reputations than they have.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

At this time I would not pay much attention to the number of stars of ranking of a particular player. I think we must trust Ford and his staff to guide us.

Agree 100%.  They are about as important as participation ribbons in middle school.

I saw the rankings below tweeted and thought some might be interested. Prep Hoops ranks MoKan #1, PSA Cardinals #5, Ramey-Jets United #10, and Bradley Beal Elite #21 in their 17U rankings across the various leagues. 

https://www.prephoops.com/grassroots-rankings/17u-rankings/

And here are the 16U rankings with Bradley Beal Elite #5.

https://www.prephoops.com/grassroots-rankings/16u-rankings/

Tyrese Williams profile up on the Recruiting Lists page, class of 2018. Full scouting report when I get a chance to watch some video.

Also from the 2018 offer list: Cole Swider has cut SLU from contention, narrowing his list to 8: Villanova, Xavier, Providence, Creighton, Michigan, Indiana, Syracuse, and Miami. He's going to be an excellent get for any of those programs. He's climbed up the rankings quickly (now 90th in Rivals) and I still think he's too low. He's up to 6-9 and possibly still growing (his parents are 6-8 and 6-4). Nice big frame. Lights-out shooter but scores on all levels. Nightmare matchup, high ceiling. I don't think we were ever a serious contender, just one of many offers.

1 minute ago, NextYearBill said:

10. Carte'Are Gordon, PF, Webster Groves High School (Missouri)

Gordon ended his recruitment in October, surprising many and committing to Saint Louis. Kansas was considered the early favorite, before Missouri made a run late in the summer. But Gordon chose to stay home and become the Billikens’ highest-ranked player since Larry Hughes in 1997.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Depaul's new arena, Wintrust Arena, is going to be best basketball facility in the Big East.  Let's see if they can actually build on that.

I really doubt the stadium will do much of anything.  Everyone complained about having to drive to the Allstate (and really, it wasn't a problem when they were good - lots of alums in the burbs they used to have that placed packed every night), but getting to McCormick is equally as miserable.  And I don't buy the public transportation argument b/c you have to transfer L lines and/or walk/take a bus.  Really don't see students wanting to make a 40+ minute commute, each way, on a Tuesday night to see a 5 start point guard. Oh, you still have to recruit kids to DePaul, which they haven't been able to do for 10+ years / they've been so bad for so long they've lost any traction in this town, especially given the Cubs/Hawks recent success.  That said, can we get a home and home scheduled?  

Rant over.

12 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Not our team but DePaul just got a 5 star commit after hiring his high school coach. Nice 

What an unusual recruiting approach.  I've never heard of that before:rolleyes:  It's hard to believe that it worked.

55 minutes ago, bauman said:

What an unusual recruiting approach.  I've never heard of that before:rolleyes:  It's hard to believe that it worked.

It's the coach from La Lumiere so I wonder if they'll take a run at tilmon too.