Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, The Valley Sucks said:

I talked with a former Ole Miss player that lives in STL that knows people in the basketball community. He said he is hearing Gordon is taking a serious look at Mizzou now and may switch. Hope he is wrong, Ford needs to stay on him and we need to win some games next year.

Cool. Thanks for checking in. Solid first post.

36 minutes ago, The Valley Sucks said:

I talked with a former Ole Miss player that lives in STL that knows people in the basketball community. He said he is hearing Gordon is taking a serious look at Mizzou now and may switch. Hope he is wrong, Ford needs to stay on him and we need to win some games next year.

No way. I thought Ford was just going to pack it in.

With almost a year to go before Gordon has to officially sign a LOI, we should be concerned that Martin and others will make a run at him. Let's just hope that DeCarte is sincere when he says he is interested in staying home and playing before the hometown fans. The only game that I think is dirtier and more corrupt than recruiting high school kids to play FB or BB for your school is politics.

2 hours ago, The Valley Sucks said:

MBM's look at the date on today's calendar.  This was posted this morning.  Well done, Valley.

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Fair enough. I can tell you though that Ford "will not feel good until he suits up in a Billiken uniform"

I don't think anyone will feel really good about it until Guy butchers his name on opening night. Such is the world of high level recruiting. It's up to Tate and Ford to keep him a Billiken. 

21 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I don't think anyone will feel really good about it until Guy butchers his name on opening night. Such is the world of high level recruiting. It's up to Tate and Ford to keep him a Billiken. 

Agreed. We've all been nervous about this one since it happened. It's the nature of the beast when you get such a highly rated recruit so early in the process.

I don't know if the more recent talk regarding mizzou has any truth to it, but it's definitely an easy comment to make by people when they say that now that Martin is there, he may be more interested in mizzou. That's probably true, unfortunately. Doesn't mean he won't be a billiken though.

4 hours ago, The Valley Sucks said:

April fools?

I'm not worried about it, but damn y'all try your hardest lol... no idea why you'd waste your time being worried and feeding into this stuff  sans any real info. Just start a "Gordon might flip his commitment because we're SLU and you never know" thread so I can avoid this popping up in every topic 

Let's be realistic here for a moment. DeCarte verbally committed back in the fall. He has over a year from today to make his final selection. Opposing coaches are not going to honor verbal commits. You can bet he's hearing from a bunch of schools as I write this w/ letters, tweets from fans, and his own inner circle. It's going to take a hell of a sales job by Travis and Tate to convince him SLU should still be his first choice. As I recall, one of the reasons he gave for picking SLU was that he wanted to stay local and play in front of his family and friends. Well, Columbia's only two hours up the road. That's scary given their recent coaching change.

As someone said Travis won't rest easy until he reports to his first practice. Neither should we. After all this is Billiken basketball, we've seen our share of dashed hopes.

If he checks this board, I hope he senses the great appreciation he will receive from Billiken fans and the Saint Louis community for becoming a Billiken.

5 hours ago, The Valley Sucks said:

Winning games next season won't matter.  The first day of signing period is almost always before the  first regular season game.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Let's be realistic here for a moment. DeCarte verbally committed back in the fall. He has over a year from today to make his final selection. Opposing coaches are not going to honor verbal commits. You can bet he's hearing from a bunch of schools as I write this w/ letters, tweets from fans, and his own inner circle. It's going to take a hell of a sales job by Travis and Tate to convince him SLU should still be his first choice. As I recall, one of the reasons he gave for picking SLU was that he wanted to stay local and play in front of his family and friends. Well, Columbia's only two hours up the road. That's scary given their recent coaching change.

As someone said Travis won't rest easy until he reports to his first practice. Neither should we. After all this is Billiken basketball, we've seen our share of dashed hopes.

If he checks this board, I hope he senses the great appreciation he will receive from Billiken fans and the Saint Louis community for becoming a Billiken.

Early signing is 11-2017......about 7 months away.

The best way to keep Carte’Are Gordon is by getting two more top players to commit to fill the open scholarships.

Watson, Reece and McKinney (2019) are highlighted in this article about this past weekend's AAU championship game between the Ramey Jets and Beal Elite. Recuiting predictions are included with each player. SLU isn't mentioned with Watson, but they are with Reece and McKinney.

Reece
Prediction: Too early to predict a school on Reece -- though SLU figures to be tough -- but he could be a candidate for a breakout spring.

McKinney
Prediction: McKinney said that Missouri is coming at him hard and his cousin Jimmy McKinney played there. He's also seen Kansas State and SLU. We expect new Illinois coach Brad Underwood to get in the mix as well and for McKinney to be a big regional battle.

Here's another one with a rundown of the same event.

Reece is mentioned in both. So is Talen Horton-Tucker. Drew Peterson is a kid Crews' staff was on, and I think someone from Ford's staff called about early on.

We're not mentioned under THT in either of them, but he's on the Interest list. Haven't offered.