Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a couple of articles that provide some updates to Watson's recruitment. This one reiterates that SLU is one of the schools that's recruiting him the hardest.

This article confirms that he wants to cut his list to five in the next month.

I thought this was an interesting blurb from the Rivals' article...

RIVALS' REACTION

Kansas State was the first high major program to offer Watson and assistant coach Chris Lowery's early work has the Wildcats in there deep. Creighton and Butler also appear to be positioning themselves well and you certainly have to keep an eye on hometown SLU with what Travis Ford has been doing on the recruiting trail.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice that Goonaha also posted the Rivals article.

9 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

24/7 has a crystal ball for Watson to SLU from Feb 8th. They also have a 4* MO recruit ahead of Watson in the state rankings by the name of Jordan Lathon? Any word on him?

Hes the best player out of KC,  only reason why hes ranked that high in the state.  I believe hes big on Creighton, or waiting for a Creighton offer, something like that(?)

4 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

24/7 has a crystal ball for Watson to SLU from Feb 8th. They also have a 4* MO recruit ahead of Watson in the state rankings by the name of Jordan Lathon? Any word on him?

Lathon is a really nice player but I've never seen anything connecting him to SLU. He's a KC area kid, Grandview HS. Tons of high-level interest and a few Big East and Big XII offers.

14 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

As of a week or two ago, Biedscheid was at Harris-Stowe. Given his frequency of transferring, I just confirmed that he's still there.

1 hour ago, HenryB said:

It was apparently wild at the Webster - Vashon game last night.  Physical play and technicals.  My favorite part of the article is the last paragraph. 

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/webster-groves-overcomes-deficit-to-win-showdown-at-vashon/article_3b85ca16-f4c7-11e6-8bfa-171466d891e8.html

I agree, HenryB. For those who haven't seen, here was Gordon's quote about that it was like playing in front of a standing room only crowd.

“It was good. I grew up here playing in front of everybody,” Gordon said. “I plan for it to be like this in a few years when I go to SLU.”

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Anyone anyone concerned about lack of competition for Thatch?

By "lack of competition" do you mean the level of competition that he's playing against or the lack of programs competing with SLU in recruiting him?  I presume the former and suggest that AAU performance may suggest a better prediction of how he'll fare at the next level, compared to high school competition.

14 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Anyone anyone concerned about lack of competition for Thatch?

Not particularly. He'll get more competition in AAU ball this summer. Plus, he's from the same general area as the Hansbrough brothers and Otto Porter. Not saying Thatch is at their level, but those guys did OK for themselves.

I am more concerned about Thatch's position at the next level. He has a guard's body but his guard skills need a lot of work. He gets away with overpowering weaker and smaller opponents right now. The good news is that he's young and already committed so SLU can have a say (unofficially) in his development. He also appears to be a very good athlete and very dedicated so I think he can develop those skills. Him and Goodwin may never be knockdown shooters so I hope we look for a shooter in the 2018 class. 

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

I am more concerned about Thatch's position at the next level. He has a guard's body but his guard skills need a lot of work. He gets away with overpowering weaker and smaller opponents right now. The good news is that he's young and already committed so SLU can have a say (unofficially) in his development. He also appears to be a very good athlete and very dedicated so I think he can develop those skills. Him and Goodwin may never be knockdown shooters so I hope we look for a shooter in the 2018 class. 

I would assume Ford wants either Watson or Karrington Davis to fill that shooter role in the 2018 class.

21 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

-what games showed you that his guard skills need a lot of work? I've only seen him play once and at least on that night his passing was great, but one time evaluations have their limitations