Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I assume if French saw himself as too good for UMASS I would feel that Isiah would feel like he would be downsizing to UMASS. 

Not sure if that works for every case.  Everyone has their own reasons for going or not going somewhere. UMASS is a well known program in his area, with a team we've seen that will be pretty good in a few years. 

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Not sure if that works for every case.  Everyone has their own reasons for going or not going somewhere. UMASS is a well known program in his area, with a team we've seen that will be pretty good in a few years. 

They do have a lot of freshmen talent, they don't seem to be consistent, beat Dayton, lost to SLU. Ford can also sell the facilities and city too. 

15 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Exactly.  Only 9 guys can play at a time so they're not all going to play right away.  And if they can't all play right away a coach is going to find himself recruiting high upside guys who could potentially redshirt with at least one of his scholarships.  With the best roster in Billiken history already assembled, we're starting to reach that point.

I think the 2017 big we were recruiting who recently signed with Pitt fits into that category. First, it is another clear indication that at least one or two scholarships for 2017 will open up, which should be obvious. Second, the kid we were recruiting was a raw athletic big, a shotblocker, who ideally could use a redshirt year to build strength, develop, etc. We could have the luxury to take on a kid like that. Getting a transfer who would sit out 2017-18 would also figure to be another possibility.

5 minutes ago, ACE said:

I think the 2017 big we were recruiting who recently signed with Pitt fits into that category. First, it is another clear indication that at least one or two scholarships for 2017 will open up, which should be obvious. Second, the kid we were recruiting was a raw athletic big, a shotblocker, who ideally could use a redshirt year to build strength, develop, etc. We could have the luxury to take on a kid like that. Getting a transfer who would sit out 2017-18 would also figure to be another possibility.

Would it be accurate for me to say we would recruit a player with potential, rather than lets say an impact player like Goodwin and French

6 minutes ago, ACE said:

I think you continue to recruit the best players you think you can land, projects or not.  Preferably not projects. Most of these kids think they can play right away anyway.  You are going to have a hard time selling kids that they are going to need to redshirt.  Plus, any smart kid wouldn't be willing to give up his redshirt year at the beginning of his career.  You do that and your are stuck if there is a coaching change or things just don't work out at school you selected.

17 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think you continue to recruit the best players you think you can land, projects or not.  Preferably not projects. Most of these kids think they can play right away anyway.  You are going to have a hard time selling kids that they are going to need to redshirt.  Plus, any smart kid wouldn't be willing to give up his redshirt year at the beginning of his career.  You do that and your are stuck if there is a coaching change or things just don't work out at school you selected.

Of course... I'm a big advocate of always recruiting the best players you can and not worrying about "recruiting over" somebody. A coach should always be trying to do that. But if you read about this kid, the article when he signed with Pitt even described him as a "developmental big." Doesn't mean he'll be a project who will never develop. He's only been playing since 2012 and is very rough offensively, but athletically has a lot of potential. Could be the kind of kid to develop into that Willie Reed type rim protector that is so coveted. But this kid does not figure to make an impact as a freshman. He's only averaging 8 ppg for his high school team.

9 hours ago, Billiken4life5 said:

Ford had most of his staff at the Webster game to watch the pride of the '18 class.  Gordon had 18 points despite only playing two minutes in the second half due to the blowout.  4 or 5 ferocious dunks and some nice midrange jumpers.  They usually post highlights so hopefully those are coming. 

I don't think this was from last nights game but at least it's some highlights. 

I saw the the WG - Parkway West game...not competitive.  For those who have seen not Gordon in person, he is a man among boys on the court, big, strong, quick and athletic.   It is going to be fun to see him play and develop.  As for Ramey, I understand why those might say he is rated to high, but I suspect his talent just does not show up in some of these high school games.  During this one he was covering Yess,  and was disadvantaged due to height, still caused him problems but Yess got his points.   Ramey seems to have more turnovers than he should but, WG was up be 25 most of the game.  HE is fast, and can clearly play at a faster pace than most on the court.  Can turn it on the speed at will, but did not need to most of the time.   West had a few injuries so they never really had a chance to make it close.  I think some of his errant passes were due to some of his teammates being a step or two slower than he is use to.  He did not shoot much during the portion I saw.   Yess is a good player, not to compare his skill set to Baniak but he is that level of player.  I would expect  him to have a good career at Yale. 

I was going to see French yesterday in Concord, NH but the whole event was cancelled because of the weather.  The snow started early and kept falling.  He is up in NH in a few weeks so I may try again.  The event had Bridgton which has 5 major conference recruits on their squad.  French's Commonwealth Academy was playing a Maine team known for prepping lots of foreign players.