Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I remember there being a lot of hullabaloo a year ago about the lack of a pure point guard on the roster. We still don't have one. If we're going to sign one more player in 2018, this is a good opportunity to get such a player. We're stacked pretty deep everywhere else.

Ty Graves?

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I remember there being a lot of hullabaloo a year ago about the lack of a pure point guard on the roster. We still don't have one. If we're going to sign one more player in 2018, this is a good opportunity to get such a player. We're stacked pretty deep everywhere else.

What about Graves? Or are you just talking about this year?  I agree, though, that signing a good pure point in 2018 would be good.  The 2019 class projects to be pretty large at this point.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

What about Graves? Or are you just talking about this year?  I agree, though, that signing a good pure point in 2018 would be good.  The 2019 class projects to be pretty large at this point.

Graves won't play much of the non conference schedule so we need someone I guess

For a 2018 scholarship player we still need "the best player available." We aren't recruiting just for the 2018-19 season but for his 4 year career. Once the transfers are gone after a 2018 recruit's freshman year we will have a likely starting lineup of Graves, Goodwin, Thatch, French and Gordon. Seems like you could get a player at just about any position and he'd help immensely.

we sure the heck aren't recruiting for the 12/13th roster spot with any 2018 scholarships.

6 minutes ago, kshoe said:

For a 2018 scholarship player we still need "the best player available." We aren't recruiting just for the 2018-19 season but for his 4 year career. Once the transfers are gone after a 2018 recruit's freshman year we will have a likely starting lineup of Graves, Goodwin, Thatch, French and Gordon. Seems like you could get a player at just about any position and he'd help immensely.

we sure the heck aren't recruiting for the 12/13th roster spot with any 2018 scholarships.

Let's say we get Karrington Davis. It's not a given that he beats out a junior Zeke Moore. That would make Davis the 12th man.

I don't think you ever recruit for the 12th or 13th spot on the roster. Every player you bring you hope will develope into a solid contributor. They obviously won't all pan out. These are 17 and 18 year olds you are recruiting. It is difficult to project what a 17 year old wil be when he is 23. You will always get surprises. Some good. Some bad.

6 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

I don't think you ever recruit for the 12th or 13th spot on the roster. Every player you bring you hope will develope into a solid contributor. They obviously won't all pan out. These are 17 and 18 year olds you are recruiting. It is difficult to project what a 17 year old wil be when he is 23. You will always get surprises. Some good. Some bad.

cameron biedscheid

19 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Let's say we get Karrington Davis. It's not a given that he beats out a junior Zeke Moore. That would make Davis the 12th man.

The talent Ford is looking to add for 2018 is better as a freshman than Moore will be as a junior.

Besides, you don't recruit a specialty player, as you describe it, when that player will be critical in his sophomore through senior years. He needs to think long term and not just focused on what the player will be his freshman year. Similarly, players need to focus not on how many minutes are available as a freshman but rather their 4 year career.

17 hours ago, wgstl said:

Sounds like he said Saint Louis "which is" SLU

Just like that guy who committed to Phil Fulmer back in the day who said "gonna be playing my college ball at the University of U.T."

16 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Also who is our New York connection? Isiah Mucius seems like a great recruit over Karrington Davis 

Van Macon, assistant coach. He came from Rutgers. 9 years at Hofstra before that. Grew up in Queens. I think this is the first time he's lived outside of the Northeast, actually.

14 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

+1  You should always be trying to recruit over your current players. That's how you create competition and get better. Not a fan of "promising" a kid a role. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Van Macon, assistant coach. He came from Rutgers. 9 years at Hofstra before that. Grew up in Queens. I think this is the first time he's lived outside of the Northeast, actually.

Thank you for a real and respectable answer. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Nice, just saw that Isiah Mucius plays AAU ball with French

Yes that is what I was trying to go after. When I was looking at the recruits that are outside of the Mo, Illinois area I tried to see what connection they had with us to be more of a feasible recruit. 

17 hours ago, kshoe said:

How many stars does Mucius have? That's all I care about. Stars, stars stars.

Ranked 57 of the top 60 on ESPN. Only other current schools that seem like competition would be Xavier, VT and Oregon 

I think that 3 Star's point was that the last scholarship would go to a kid that would start out 12 or 13 on the depth chart.  If he does well, he might work his way into the rotation next year.  Obviously, you expect him to eventually develop into a starter.

We will eventually have to adjust our mindset from this recent frenzy of recruiting.  Ford started with nothing and, therefore, had tons of immediate minutes to offer kids.  That only lasts so long if you bring in quality guys.  Eventually, if your recruits pan out, you don't have immediate minutes to offer to high school kids or transfers.  That's a good thing.  Eventually, the high school kids you recruit have to be okay with the fact that they have quality guys ahead of them and that they will need to work their way into the rotation in a year or two.  Again, if you recruit well, getting to this point is what you want.

34 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I think that 3 Star's point was that the last scholarship would go to a kid that would start out 12 or 13 on the depth chart.  If he does well, he might work his way into the rotation next year.  Obviously, you expect him to eventually develop into a starter.

Exactly.  Only 9 guys can play at a time so they're not all going to play right away.  And if they can't all play right away a coach is going to find himself recruiting high upside guys who could potentially redshirt with at least one of his scholarships.  With the best roster in Billiken history already assembled, we're starting to reach that point.