Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

3 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I hadn't seen/heard that the school was involved, if the kid heard from the janitor or anyone at school we're having Ramey's college announcement, by all means Twitter away

FWIW, he did end up deleting the original tweet and replacing it. Evidently he did that when somebody in the school administration confirmed that it was canceled/rescheduled. So I'm not sure what the dad's beef is, other than him not immediately deleting it when he asked him to.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I hadn't seen/heard that the school was involved, if the kid heard from the janitor or anyone at school we're having Ramey's college announcement, by all means Twitter away

I agree with that hsmith19 but if it was false and not true or not going to happen that could have an affect on recruiting or how coaches take things. It brings a lot of unwarranted attention to an already intense recruiting battle. So maybe that's why he was asked to take it down and let it die until appropriate time. Which didn't happen and the kid kept tweeting about it even the next day. I do agree that as adults we have to pick how to comeback wisely and not getting into a debate or whatever them 2 were in, is not the right way.

I don't see why this has become such a huge deal myself. 

59 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Crapping on student journalists and acting like high school kids should just sit down and shut up is definitely an old school mentality. And Jimmy Piersall is pretty good evidence that the overbearing sports dad phenomenon has been around a while as well.

Paging Harry Chapin...

todd.jpg

3 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Haha. I also thought about Vic Morrow in the original Bad News Bears.

"THROW THE BALL, JOEY!"

BadNewsBears_Morrow.jpg

Excellent BNB reference here, hsmith. Classic! I heard he watched 100 hours of Billy Martin meltdowns before auditioning for the role. I also think that's a Rolex Submariner.

2 hours ago, hsmith19 said:

All the kid did was report when the school was planning the commitment ceremony. To act like this was somehow violating his family's privacy or reporting on their personal lives is just ridiculous. The school ended up canceling or rescheduling the ceremony, but that doesn't mean the kid should have been forced to delete the tweet just because the dad didn't like it. What a silly controversy to brew up, even without getting into the namecalling and making all the personal remarks about the kid reporter.

I get that. However, if I was the school reporter and I had made the tweet and the Dad who is clearly in the know told me it was incorrect and asked me to delete it, I would have. Why not? Unless of course the Dad was rude and ordering me around and acting like an idiot ... then maybe not.

On 1/30/2017 at 6:15 PM, bauman said:

While I know we always want the best players we can recruit, a couple of points: we, at least as of now, do not have any more 2018 scholarships, but more importantly, even if we did, I don't foresee any possibility that we would be able to provide anywhere close to the desired playing time to Henriquez/Graves/Goodwin/Thatcher/ Watson (I hope) and Ramey in the 2018-19 season.  That is just not realistic.  Even the following year when AH is gone, how would the other 5 be satisfied with having to split the time available for the PG and SG positions.

It doesn't seem like we are in any position to take the approach of, "whoever commits first between Watson and Ramey gets the scholarship" but I certainly don't see us even being able to utilize both of them in the same class.  Even in the RM years, I don't think we were ever in a position that we could have had too many outstanding players for the available playing time.

no thinking needed on that. The 3 classes of recruits we have now are better ranking wise than we've ever had. The '18 class is ranked #4 in the country by one of those rating sites. Not often SLU #4 in anything.

19 hours ago, runandshoot said:

I agree with that hsmith19 but if it was false and not true or not going to happen that could have an affect on recruiting or how coaches take things. It brings a lot of unwarranted attention to an already intense recruiting battle. So maybe that's why he was asked to take it down and let it die until appropriate time. Which didn't happen and the kid kept tweeting about it even the next day. I do agree that as adults we have to pick how to comeback wisely and not getting into a debate or whatever them 2 were in, is not the right way.

I don't see why this has become such a huge deal myself. 

What is not a big deal is a kid from a high school newspaper reporting accurately that a conference had been scheduled.

What is a bigger deal is a grown ass man making such a huge ordeal about it, throwing a twitter tantrum, and blasting the high school kid as if reporting that a conference had been scheduled was an attack on his family's privacy.  If it got canceled it got canceled.  The fact that the high school kid's information was correct at first and then changed isn't affecting Pitino's recruiting.

In the end, my opinion of this high school kid remains unchanged.  I have no opinion about him.  My opinion of Dad Ramey has been tainted.

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

throwing a twitter tantrum, and blasting the high school kid as if reporting that a 

In the end, my opinion of this high school kid remains unchanged.  I have no opinion about him.  My opinion of Dad Ramey has been tainted.

Sounds presidential to me

Big game tomorrow in the O'Fallon Shootout between Webster and Morgan Park.  I assuming Gordon will play and Morgan Park features 2018 target Ayo Dosunmu. We made Dosunmu's final 19 back around Christmas.  

The Shootout will, also, feature some other players we were recruiting at least at some point like Nojel Eastern, Christian Negron, Nana Akenten and Javon Pickett.

On 1/31/2017 at 2:40 PM, Bobby Metzinger said:

Excellent BNB reference here, hsmith. Classic! I heard he watched 100 hours of Billy Martin meltdowns before auditioning for the role. I also think that's a Rolex Submariner.

No, if you look closely it is a Folex Submariner, a knock off copy.

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

Metz: I'm thinking it's actually a Rolex GMT.

(This stuff isn't important, but I really like watches.)

According to this site it is Rolex GMT Master.

http://watchesinmovies.info/movies/bad-news-bears-the-1976/

Who knew there was a site for watches in movies.

When that movie was made it would have been the Rolex GMT Master 1675.  That is the same watch Tom Selleck wore on Magnum P.I..

Tom-Selleck-as-Magnum-PI-Rolex-GMT-Maste

54 minutes ago, brianstl said:

According to this site it is Rolex GMT Master.

http://watchesinmovies.info/movies/bad-news-bears-the-1976/

Who knew there was a site for watches in movies.

When that movie was made it would have been the Rolex GMT Master 1675.  That is the same watch Tom Selleck wore on Magnum P.I..

Wow, I'm going to have to spend some time on that site...

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

The ring is the Cross of Lorraine.  Now for a SLU connection, Jesuit missionaries used this cross when converting Native Americans.

So obviously "Magnum, P.I." is banned from Fusz Hall?