Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

6 hours ago, thetorch said:

Silly

Anthony Bennett, Aaron Gordon, Julius Randle, Jabari Parker, Ben Simmons, and on and on.  Not saying he's a 1 and done but 7 foot PFs with 7'5 wingspans are hard to come by. Most like these guys are measured at or below 6'10 with below average wingspans, less than 3 inches longer than they are tall.  You also get a few guys like Jahlil Okafor and Nerlens Noel who get great measurements but in photos look 3 or 4 inches shorter than their 7 foot teammates and play like they are.

Gordon at 16 was measured at USA basketball camp in shoes at 6'9 with a wingspan over 7 feet.  Comparable with everyone on this list with 3 more years to grow.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Carte-Are-Gordon-85452/

He's never actually measured 6'9" (that's just what he gets listed as) and his wingspan is right at 7'.  I think he could go one and done, but is the kind of guy who could go from being a mid-late first rounder to a top-5 pick with the addition of a jump shot/another plus skill. He's not as good an athlete as Randle, nor does he have the same ability to put the ball on the floor. Randle was a consensus top-5 recruit in a loaded class and wound up as the 7th pick. Gordon would have to move up quite a bit to match that pedigree. Possible, but we'll see how eager he is to get to the pros. He would almost certainly get drafted after one year, it just might not be as high as he'd like. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

gordon has not shown he is the elite scorer yet like tatum or hughes that could just carry his team for an entire game.   there is no doubt he has a once in a lifetime body that very few 16 year olds have, but for my money he has a ways to go yet to be considered a one and done.   dont get me wrong.   he is an awesome get for the billikens.   but one and done is saying too much at this stage.   lets talk again in 12 months about that.  

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I agree with this.  

I just looked at three 2017 NBA mock drafts, NBAdraft.com, ESPN and CBS.

For the 2017 draft, the number of freshmen predicted to be drafted in the first round for these three sources were 15, 16 and 17.  Sure each year is different, but if Gordon is a #9, he certainly is in the one and done conversation.

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I just looked at three 2017 NBA mock drafts, NBAdraft.com, ESPN and CBS.

For the 2017 draft, the number of freshmen predicted to be drafted in the first round for these three sources were 15, 16 and 17.  Sure each year is different, but if Gordon is a #9, he certainly is in the one and done conversation.

how's thats any different from my post?

17 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-if he is this good, that is simply fantastic, I hope to see him play this season

His first game has me pumped.  jan 27th @ SLUH i'll probably ditch my WG gear and put on my SLU stuff

45 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Illinois, Creighton, K State, Arkansas, Louisville, Mizzou, Iowa State, Texas, Florida, Marquette, Ohio State, Northwestern and Southern Cal

Outside of Louisville and Florida, that list reads like the perennial underachiever of preseason hype list. 

6 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

WV has a history of not knowing what he's talking about...

replace WV with MBMs and I'm on board. It does seem nuts to be all over Gordon with so little actual HS experience but those scouting folks have a collective keen eye because overall hype does usually hold up. I bet he hits D-1 higher than 6'9" typed this before I read Zink's so I guess 6'9" final height?

-If Ramey doesn't want to go to SLU right away that's okay, we'll take his transfer from Marquette after one year......if he is good enough for us at that time

Edited by Quality Is Job 1
Fix technical issue. (Try viewing source to delete unwanted text/code.)

1 hour ago, almaman said:

replace WV with MBMs and I'm on board. It does seem nuts to be all over Gordon with so little actual HS experience but those scouting folks have a collective keen eye because overall hype does usually hold up. I bet he hits D-1 higher than 6'9" typed this before I read Zink's so I guess 6'9" final height?

While I understand and agree with your main point, Gordon has pretty much proven himself at the AAU and USA Basketball level. 

It will be nice to see him against local high school competition. 

As Roy pointed out earlier (I think) Gordon's stats aren't going to be as gaudy as Hughes', but he should be a next-level dominate player this year for WG. He will probably be even more dominate because unlike more high school bigs, he has a point guard who can actually get him the ball. 

He's ranked #9 in the Country for a reason. (OK, I have sufficiently hyped myself up regarding a Gordon, Foreman, French front court)

2 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

(OK, I have sufficiently hyped myself up regarding a Gordon, Foreman, French front court)

Jumping a thousand miles ahead, but I doubt if you see this as a front court very often.  They play too much the same, with no outside threat. 

I'm looking at Foreman coming off the bench his senior year, with three 'guards/SF' like Henriquez, Goodwin and Johnson/Bess running with Gordon and French up front.  Pure speculation on my part, but let the hype (and second guessing by Soderballs) begin.

21 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Jumping a thousand miles ahead, but I doubt if you see this as a front court very often.  They play too much the same, with no outside threat. 

I'm looking at Foreman coming off the bench his senior year, with three 'guards/SF' like Henriquez, Goodwin and Johnson/Bess running with Gordon and French up front.  Pure speculation on my part, but let the hype (and second guessing by Soderballs) begin.

i think Foreman is going to surprise us. He gets overlooked, i think, because he was the first recruit/transfer to jump on board.... youtube his Rutgers highlights... kid could run the floor and jam with authority