Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

But you won't know until next year plays out.  You have already listed one scenario.  Just something to think about.

McBroom transferred in, got his degree and transferred out as a Graduate.

McBroom's situation was quite a bit different than any of our current transfers:

• he transferred to SLU when Majerus was coach and then got stuck playing for Crews
  • he transferred after his freshman year and had 2 years at SLU before leaving
  • his PT was cut in year 2 and our team was worse

Assuming no unexpected things happen, I can't see Bess, Foreman, or Henriquez doing the grad transfer thing like McBroom.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard Ford on radio a couple of weeks ago talking about Bess. Bess came to Ford saying he was really struggling with classes. Ford said to take all the time needed for studying. Ford was proud to say Bess got a 3.0 in classes like Chemistry and Political Science. Unless Steve was his Polly Sci professor that's pretty good. 

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

McBroom's situation was quite a bit different than any of our current transfers:

• he transferred to SLU when Majerus was coach and then got stuck playing for Crews
  • he transferred after his freshman year and had 2 years at SLU before leaving
  • his PT was cut in year 2 and our team was worse

Assuming no unexpected things happen, I can't see Bess, Foreman, or Henriquez doing the grad transfer thing like McBroom.

McBroom was a c0ckbag. Him leaving SLU was the highlight of the Jim Crews era. This is totally irrelevant I just felt like taking a shot.

39 minutes ago, willie said:

I heard Ford on radio a couple of weeks ago talking about Bess. Bess came to Ford saying he was really struggling with classes. Ford said to take all the time needed for studying. Ford was proud to say Bess got a 3.0 in classes like Chemistry and Political Science. Unless Steve was his Polly Sci professor that's pretty good. 

If we don't see willie posting for several months, it might be because a certain forum operator became offended at his insinuation that he would do athletes academically fraudulent favors.  (I kid.)

17 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

If we don't see willie posting for several months, it might be because a certain forum operator became offended at his insinuation that he would do athletes academically fraudulent favors.  (I kid.)

I believe he was insinuating that Steve is such a great professor that Bess would have just learned the material quicker

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Thatch commits, I seriously doubt Watson is commiting. He's got offers from established programs with more minutes available right away.

I've never understood the minutes argument. Do you really think someone as talented as Watson doesn't believe he could start almost anywhere on day 1?

17 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Thatch commits, I seriously doubt Watson is commiting. He's got offers from established programs with more minutes available right away.

I can guarantee you that the coaching staff believes there will be plenty of minutes for Thatch and Watson if they both commit to the Billikens. What I would dream of would be a rotation--in no particular order--of Goodwin, Bess, Henriquez, Foreman, French, Gordon, Thatch, Watson and Graves. this group would give us speed, strength and incredible athleticism like we have never seen at SLU on one team--that probably will be the case even without Thatch and Watson but I am a dreamer and if we add those two guys the sky is the limit with a full court pressing running team that is never tired because we have incredible players rotating in and out!

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Sorry guys that came across way harsher than I meant it to. Not even sure what I meant to say. Pretty sure I just posted my thoughts while in a meeting. Not an excuse though so I'll take the heat on this one

Speaking of being in a meeting and reading this board, I was in a boring one today and was surfing the 2017 thread, when Box called team Beal or the Eagles team Beagle, I about lost it.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Some things are more important then  academics. Besides every political scientist in the country told us Hillary would be our next president. Right Steve. 

1 hour ago, For-DaLove said:

I've never understood the minutes argument. Do you really think someone as talented as Watson doesn't believe he could start almost anywhere on day 1?

The Watsons are a tight-knit and well-informed family. They are keeping tabs on who will be on the roster at the 2 and the 3 by the time Torrence is a freshman. Torrence has stated on multiple occasions that he's looking for a school where he can play right away. When you see what some of his other choices are losing in 2018, you'll understand why the field will be hard to beat.

We'll mostly have Henriquez and Bess returning as starters. Add Thatch and suddenly minutes at the 2/3 become tight. Thatch is a very good basketball player. The only thing preventing him from being a 4 star is a dominant AAU season. He was up and down last summer. 

29 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The Watsons are a tight-knit and well-informed family. They are keeping tabs on who will be on the roster at the 2 and the 3 by the time Torrence is a freshman. Torrence has stated on multiple occasions that he's looking for a school where he can play right away. When you see what some of his other choices are losing in 2018, you'll understand why the field will be hard to beat.

We'll mostly have Henriquez and Bess returning as starters. Add Thatch and suddenly minutes at the 2/3 become tight. Thatch is a very good basketball player. The only thing preventing him from being a 4 star is a dominant AAU season. He was up and down last summer. 

3star - Please tell the Watsons that SLU is going to be awesome and Torrence should want to be a part of something so awesome. Look at Golden State. They were awesome and then they got KD. Now they are even more awesome (or will be if they can figure our Lebron). Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Billikenswin said:

I can guarantee you that the coaching staff believes there will be plenty of minutes for Thatch and Watson if they both commit to the Billikens. What I would dream of would be a rotation--in no particular order--of Goodwin, Bess, Henriquez, Foreman, French, Gordon, Thatch, Watson and Graves. this group would give us speed, strength and incredible athleticism like we have never seen at SLU on one team--that probably will be the case even without Thatch and Watson but I am a dreamer and if we add those two guys the sky is the limit with a full court pressing running team that is never tired because we have incredible players rotating in and out!

Let's remember that we wiould only have that group for 1 year.  After that year we would only have 6 of those 9.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

-care to say which you would prefer with the roster as we know it?

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

Not sure where to post this, but stumbled across this while reading up on our recruits. Carteare Gordon and Hasahn French. Our days of bigs such as Manning, Jolly, Neufeld, and Gillmann will soon be over  

IMG_3663.JPG

I am hoping these guys come out like Tyler Cook has for Iowa in his freshman year. That kid is playing like a man.

From the Arkansas fan site...based on Thatch's quote at the very end, Ford likes to recriut beagles:

UA visit delayed

Junior guard Fred Thatch Jr. and Arkansas basketball assistant Scotty Thurman communicate on a regular basis and is hoping to visit based on that relationship.

"We talk a lot," Thatch said. "We talk about how our day is going and we talk about life a little bit. Not anything too big. We communicate like twice a week."

He was planning to visit for the North Florida game Saturday, but was unable to make it. He's now looking to visit a January game.

Thatch, 6-3, 198 pounds of Sikeston, Mo., has scholarship offers from Missouri, Tulsa and St. Louis while drawing strong interest from Arkansas.

"I haven't seen the campus, but everything I've heard about Arkansas as a whole as in the school and town is it's beautiful," Thatch said. "I'm excited to see what it's like the campus and the stadium. They say the arena is crazy. I'm just excited to see what it's like."

He wasn't aware of Thurman hitting the tie-breaking three-pointer against Duke in the 1994 national championship game, helping Arkansas to a 76-72 victory.

"I didn't even know that until my high school coach told me because his wife is from Arkansas," Thatch said. "She's a big Razorback fan so she was telling me all about him. I probably learned about his whole life story in 20 minutes."

Thatch averaged 20.7 points, 10 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 2.5 steals a game and was named a MaxPreps Boys Basketball Sophomore second team All-American while leading his team to a 28-3 record.

He's impressed with Thurman's resume as a player at Arkansas.

"That's big-time," he said. "It shows you a lot about him as a coach and a past player. There's obviously things I can learn from him."

Thatch, who has a 4.23 grade-point average, played for the 16-under St. Louis Eagles during the spring and summer. He said he's a lockdown defender with excellent quickness and a high basketball IQ.

"My jump shot is actually pure now," Thatch said. "I can score on all three levels. I can score at will as far as the high school level. I have some explosiveness in me and a little bounce. I play hard. I'm a dog."

9 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

"My jump shot is actually pure now," Thatch said. "I can score on all three levels. I can score at will as far as the high school level. I have some explosiveness in me and a little bounce. I play hard. I'm a dog."

#beagle

14 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Pistol, in the 2018 recruiting list, you state that there are four spots open.  Shouldn't that be two spots?  Until or unless players leave between this March and April, 2018, the only players whose eligibility will have expired for the 2018 class are Roby and Gillmann.

Likely a typo. I'll change it. Although, given how transfers go these days, there's probably no point in listing scholarship availability beyond the upcoming class.

If Watson's top priority by far is getting starter minutes as a freshman - assuming we'll have Henriquez, Bess, Graves, Moore, and Goodwin returning, and Thatch commits first - then yeah, he might go somewhere else. But we can move on.