Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

2018 interest list updates:

Darius Beane visited Vandy this summer.

SLU and Wichita State are keeping tabs on Kale Catchings. WSU was at CBC this month to check on him.

Antwaan Cushingberry is hearing from Ball State, NKU, and Eastern Illinois the most. SIUE was out to see him this month. I don't think SLU is still interested.

Darius Garland's latest offer is from Ohio State. Duke, Notre Dame, Virginia, Vandy, and Tennessee have all been out to see him this month.

USC and Wichita State were out to Chaminade to see Jericole Hellems and Karrington Davis. I know Hellems has some more interested schools out there, but the list remains something of a mystery. He has a big chance to step up this upcoming HS season now that Chaminade's 2016 class has graduated.

Drew Peterson had visits from Northwestern, Wright State, Furman, and William & Mary; he'll visit Northwestern this weekend. I haven't seen anything to show that Ford's staff is on him, as his name surfaced during Crews' tenure.

Gaven Pinkley has had a lot of programs out to see him this month - DePaul, Missouri State, UWM, Wright State, SIUE, SIUC, Drake, Oral Roberts, and a few others. UIC and SIUE are his only D-I offers at this point.

Brennan Schofield transferred from Hamilton Southeastern near Indy to SPIRE Institute in northeastern Ohio.

TJ Smith transferred from Marian Catholic (Matteson, IL) to Wesley Christian in Kentucky. He visited Cincinnati this month.

Caleb Strohmeier took an unofficial visit to Northern Illinois recently.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Drew Peterson had visits from Northwestern, Wright State, Furman, and William & Mary; he'll visit Northwestern this weekend. I haven't seen anything to show that Ford's staff is on him, as his name surfaced during Crews' tenure.

Keep him away from your wives and significant others. 

Drake, UNLV, and Loyola-Chicago are visiting Chaminade today to see Jericole Hellems, Karrington Davis, and Jadis White. This is in addition to Wichita State and USC, as mentioned earlier. I should also add White to the list of 2018 players I haven't confirmed SLU interest in, but to keep track of.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

2018 interest list updates:

Darius Beane visited Vandy this summer.

SLU and Wichita State are keeping tabs on Kale Catchings. WSU was at CBC this month to check on him.

Antwaan Cushingberry is hearing from Ball State, NKU, and Eastern Illinois the most. SIUE was out to see him this month. I don't think SLU is still interested.

Darius Garland's latest offer is from Ohio State. Duke, Notre Dame, Virginia, Vandy, and Tennessee have all been out to see him this month.

USC and Wichita State were out to Chaminade to see Jericole Hellems and Karrington Davis. I know Hellems has some more interested schools out there, but the list remains something of a mystery. He has a big chance to step up this upcoming HS season now that Chaminade's 2016 class has graduated.

Interested in who will handle the rock for Chaminade  now that Tatum and Lewis are gone. Ballhandling was never a strength even for last year's team and now their squad is loaded with wing players. 

23 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Interested in who will handle the rock for Chaminade  now that Tatum and Lewis are gone. Ballhandling was never a strength even for last year's team and now their squad is loaded with wing players. 

Jadis White is the 2018 kid who appears to be a (the?) PG. He's 6-1, 160. I believe he plays for MOKAN Elite on the AAU circuit. Jordan Rayner is another 2018 guard; I don't know much about his game, though, and whether he has potential to run the point.

Keyyaun Batchman is a 2019 PG. It's unclear whether he'll continue to play a point behind White or if he's more of a combo guard. He played on the St. Louis Eagles' U-15 squad alongside Keelan Handy, a 2019 SF at Chaminade.

So I agree that ballhandling is still an unknown, but they do have at least a couple guys to possibly fill the position.

It looks like 2018 could be another strong class for CCP, with Davis, White, and Hellems, along with Rayner and Henry Gladson, Will's younger brother. We'll know a lot more about the relative strength of this class in a few months when they are back on the floor but there's at least a good amount of potential here - not that I expect ever see another class as good as 2016, or player on the level of Tatum. I've heard rumors that Davis has grown another inch or two, which would put him at 6-6 or 6-7.

In addition to those two 2019 players above, they have a one or two freshmen that have a chance to play up in Luke Kasubke and possibly Dylan Branson. I'm not sure what the status of the Euro (Marin Vrucinic) and Canadian players are at this time; they were around last season but Vrucinic, who will be a senior, didn't play much and the Canadian kid wasn't eligible yet and I'm not sure what class he is. I think Reggie Crawford will be the only other senior.

5 hours ago, hmart23 said:

How did we get so behind on Ramey? I feel like he's been a no brainer recruit since he's been in high school.

I have heard that Ford & staff really botched this up. They never contacted him or Watson until late August. Also didn't go see one game of their aau team all summer, while every other coach in the country seemed to based on articles and offers they have. How can you not contact 2 kids that have offers from previous staff already that are local and having stellar summers and are nationally ranked. DIdn't get this one. They have seemed to mend the fence with Watson to an extent and I think they tried with Ramey but the interest wasn't as strong.  I am not positive in this matter just what I have heard and it seems to be true. 

Seems like they both would have been major local priorities. The previous staff had both kids on campus and had them at several games. 

11 minutes ago, runandshoot said:

I have heard that Ford & staff really botched this up. They never contacted him or Watson until late August. Also didn't go see one game of their aau team all summer, while every other coach in the country seemed to based on articles and offers they have. How can you not contact 2 kids that have offers from previous staff already that are local and having stellar summers and are nationally ranked. DIdn't get this one. They have seemed to mend the fence with Watson to an extent and I think they tried with Ramey but the interest wasn't as strong.  I am not positive in this matter just what I have heard and it seems to be true. 

Seems like they both would have been major local priorities. The previous staff had both kids on campus and had them at several games. 

Just looking back in this thread indicates that Ford re-issued the offer to Watson at the beginning of August (the post is from 8/6). 

The obvious priority for most of the summer was Goodwin, so it makes sense that we were at every Eagles game and probably missed some of Watson's. You're the first one I've heard complaining about Watson's recruitment, as he seems to be just about the top priority for '18. It's unclear if Ramey has ever expressed enough interest to be worth pursuing. 

14 minutes ago, runandshoot said:

Given the results so far, Ford and staff need to be given the benefit of the doubt.  Sometimes a staff looks at a kid's tapes and might just think they are overrated or that they wouldn't fit their system.  Sometimes a coach might reach out to the kid and the kid says he's not interested.  In either case, neither the kid nor the coach would share their reasoning with MBM's like us.

My understanding is that it was pretty well known that Ramey has little interest in staying home (i.e. SLU or Mizzou and it has been that way from the jump), so I have a hard time saying we botched his recruitment. I don't know the kid, but would him and his dad be the type to kind of talk up being disrespected by the local programs?

Frank seems to think we are in good position with Gordon and Watson for what it is worth (neither play with the Eagles). Here is a quote from him today on the radio "I'm getting good vibes from people close to the situations with Carte'Are and with Torrence Watson from Whitfield that they like their chances. Can you imagine if they get Goodwin, they have him there, and then all of a sudden in the next two or three weeks they get a commitment from these two. Boy, you talk about a buzz, wow." Anyone hearing such positive things concerning our chances with Gordon and Watson?

29 minutes ago, runandshoot said:

Literally since Ramey was in 8th grade all we heard was that he had no interest in SLU. As to Watson, Twitter says that SLU visited with Watson on August 15th.

7 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Literally since Ramey was in 8th grade all we heard was that he had no interest in SLU. As to Watson, Twitter says that SLU visited with Watson on August 15th.

Right, you can't really have it both ways. If you put off that you have no interest in the local programs, you can't then complain when they don't burn their resources following you all summer.

Clearly we are involved with Watson, so I don't think he feels the same level of disrespect (assuming there is any truth to that). It is still early with these 2018 kids.

13 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Right, you can't really have it both ways. If you put off that you have no interest in the local programs, you can't then complain when they don't burn their resources following you all summer.

Clearly we are involved with Watson, so I don't think he feels the same level of disrespect (assuming there is any truth to that). It is still early with these 2018 kids.

if it helps, twitter shows Corey Tate meeting with Watson is 2015 (while a coach at Mizzou)

57 minutes ago, runandshoot said:

I know for a fact this is incorrect regarding Watson.  IF you heard this your source was full of $hit. However, it's an understatement to say I'm leery of your entire post.

9 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I know for a fact this is incorrect regarding Watson.  IF you heard this your source was full of $hit. However, it's an understatement to say I'm leery of your entire post.

Thanks for posting this response. I also know that this is totally false regarding Watson and it amazes me that so much misinformation is posted here with no basis in fact by people who are unknown and have basically are not Billikens fans and often have never or seldom have posted before and yet people seem to give these posts credibility.

17 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

Thanks for posting this response. I also know that this is totally false regarding Watson and it amazes me that so much misinformation is posted here with no basis in fact by people who are unknown and have basically are not Billikens fans and often have never or seldom have posted before and yet people seem to give these posts credibility.

1) welcome back

2) any further info on Watson? 

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

Frank seems to think we are in good position with Gordon and Watson for what it is worth (neither play with the Eagles). Here is a quote from him today on the radio "I'm getting good vibes from people close to the situations with Carte'Are and with Torrence Watson from Whitfield that they like their chances. Can you imagine if they get Goodwin, they have him there, and then all of a sudden in the next two or three weeks they get a commitment from these two. Boy, you talk about a buzz, wow." Anyone hearing such positive things concerning our chances with Gordon and Watson?

you have my attention

Yea there is zero chance anybody could complain about Ford's recruiting over the summer.  He came back from what seemed like the dead to get Goodwin.  The great thing seems to be from what we have heard from Frank and some of his guests is that Goodwin can get other locals to commit because they know him and know he is a winner. It's his attitude that everybody talks about with him.  

Like they said on the Champaign radio station the week before Goodwin committed.  Getting Tilmon is a perception changer for the program, getting Goodwin is an attitude changer for the program.  

Also, Goodwin did reply to somebody saying he still had time to rethink commitment after new Billiken was released and he said "I'm good".

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

My understanding is that it was pretty well known that Ramey has little interest in staying home (i.e. SLU or Mizzou and it has been that way from the jump), so I have a hard time saying we botched his recruitment. I don't know the kid, but would him and his dad be the type to kind of talk up being disrespected by the local programs?

I just listened to that interview after reading what you wrote.  That is very interesting how he mentioned in the next "two to three weeks" to get a commitment.  Wonder if this was the local part of the parlay Pelican was referring to with Goodwin?

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

Jadis White is the 2018 kid who appears to be a (the?) PG. He's 6-1, 160. I believe he plays for MOKAN Elite on the AAU circuit. Jordan Rayner is another 2018 guard; I don't know much about his game, though, and whether he has potential to run the point.

Keyyaun Batchman is a 2019 PG. It's unclear whether he'll continue to play a point behind White or if he's more of a combo guard. He played on the St. Louis Eagles' U-15 squad alongside Keelan Handy, a 2019 SF at Chaminade.

So I agree that ballhandling is still an unknown, but they do have at least a couple guys to possibly fill the position.

It looks like 2018 could be another strong class for CCP, with Davis, White, and Hellems, along with Rayner and Henry Gladson, Will's younger brother. We'll know a lot more about the relative strength of this class in a few months when they are back on the floor but there's at least a good amount of potential here - not that I expect ever see another class as good as 2016, or player on the level of Tatum. I've heard rumors that Davis has grown another inch or two, which would put him at 6-6 or 6-7.

In addition to those two 2019 players above, they have a one or two freshmen that have a chance to play up in Luke Kasubke and possibly Dylan Branson. I'm not sure what the status of the Euro (Marin Vrucinic) and Canadian players are at this time; they were around last season but Vrucinic, who will be a senior, didn't play much and the Canadian kid wasn't eligible yet and I'm not sure what class he is. I think Reggie Crawford will be the only other senior.

You are an immense source of knowledge - I'll add my thanks to your work and dedication in providing the 411 on the recruits. One question - not living in St Louis how do you know so much about a high school basketball team? I'm amazed.

I've posted this numerous times before but I'll repeat it again.  

I reffed Courtney Ramey games when he was in 5th and 6th grade.  He was considered one of the top players in his class back then, if not the best.  his team won national titales in grade school and middle school.

Ramey has been groomed to be a one and done since birth.  His stock has dropped somewhat because he never got bigger than his 6'1 and his athleticism isn't sky high.  He is on his way back up though.  As always he will go to the school that gives him the quickest route to the pros.  This has never been SLU.  He's paid us no more than lip service.

SLU did attend games that Ramey and Watson played in over the summer.  Both have been on campus.  

No need to lament the recruitment of Ramey.  Our only chance at him was if he suffered a debilitating injury and we became his deep plan B.  Watson has always been in play and Gordon appears to be too now.  Before Ford was here Gordon had dropped us completely.  Ramey just has absolutely never been in play.

Where is everyone gettting all this info from about Ramey. I know the dad really well and recently talked to him at his league. He had no ill will towards SLU after I asked him about where did our Billikens stand. He told me exactly from his mouth that the new coaches hadn't reached out to him or his son and Watson for the matter all summer long and after there hire. He mentioned that the 1st contact to him and Watson was by Cory Tate a week after he was hired and he told Tate that he was surprised that Ford wouldn't have reached out by now and that no SLU coaches attended any summer games and for that matter they were behind other schools who have done a better job of building a relationship with him and his son which is vital to him. This is from the horses mouth. Not sure what he has to gain by lying.

Also since I have been around the Dad even before Courtney was born, he has never talked about the kid and NBA and plus you never see the kid on social media or anywhere talking or acting like he is a superstar. So I was just curious of to where you all are getting this notion that he never liked SLU and being programmed to be a 1 and done. Back to Watson, he had a very strong relationship with the previous staff especially coach Brown and has always liked SLU. Not being a detective but since I am talking bull&&&& why did it take till August 2016 for the staff to re offer the Watson family as stated by the tweet from his HS coach. 

I am big on kids staying home and wish we could land all 3 but the question was raised why have we fallen of Ramey so quick and since I am close to the family, I thought I would bring some clarity to the situation from what the Dad has told me. I have nothing to gain and I am not saying anyone is at fault, I am sure Coach Ford knows what exactly he is doing and wants. Maybe Ramey isn't high on his list and doesn't like his playing style. He has that right, just wanted to tell you what was said to me by the family. 

User Actions
 Following
C2Sle9kx_biggerCoach M Potsou@Whitfieldhoops

SLU has offered Torrence Watson. Congratulations to Torrence and his family!

6:31 PM - 4 Aug 2016
8 retweets21 likes

Retweet

More

23 minutes ago, runandshoot said:

Where is everyone gettting all this info from about Ramey. I know the dad really well and recently talked to him at his league. He had no ill will towards SLU after I asked him about where did our Billikens stand. He told me exactly from his mouth that the new coaches hadn't reached out to him or his son and Watson for the matter all summer long and after there hire. He mentioned that the 1st contact to him and Watson was by Cory Tate a week after he was hired and he told Tate that he was surprised that Ford wouldn't have reached out by now and that no SLU coaches attended any summer games and for that matter they were behind other schools who have done a better job of building a relationship with him and his son which is vital to him. This is from the horses mouth. Not sure what he has to gain by lying.

Also since I have been around the Dad even before Courtney was born, he has never talked about the kid and NBA and plus you never see the kid on social media or anywhere talking or acting like he is a superstar. So I was just curious of to where you all are getting this notion that he never liked SLU and being programmed to be a 1 and done. Back to Watson, he had a very strong relationship with the previous staff especially coach Brown and has always liked SLU. Not being a detective but since I am talking bull&&&& why did it take till August 2016 for the staff to re offer the Watson family as stated by the tweet from his HS coach. 

I am big on kids staying home and wish we could land all 3 but the question was raised why have we fallen of Ramey so quick and since I am close to the family, I thought I would bring some clarity to the situation from what the Dad has told me. I have nothing to gain and I am not saying anyone is at fault, I am sure Coach Ford knows what exactly he is doing and wants. Maybe Ramey isn't high on his list and doesn't like his playing style. He has that right, just wanted to tell you what was said to me by the family. 

User Actions
 Following
C2Sle9kx_biggerCoach M Potsou@Whitfieldhoops

SLU has offered Torrence Watson. Congratulations to Torrence and his family!

6:31 PM - 4 Aug 2016

I always love the "SLU is disrepecting the local players" posts. Never good enough, it seems.