Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

Coby White is off the big board; he committed to UNC. Last time I checked in was when SLU offered a few weeks back, and the bluebloods were all showing interest but had yet to offer. Well, UNC must've finally come around and he wasted no time. He's a NC kid, #21 in the class of 2018.

The good thing about the commitments going elsewhere so far is that we haven't had time to get too attached.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Coby White is off the big board; he committed to UNC. Last time I checked in was when SLU offered a few weeks back, and the bluebloods were all showing interest but had yet to offer. Well, UNC must've finally come around and he wasted no time. He's a NC kid, #21 in the class of 2018.

The good thing about the commitments going elsewhere so far is that we haven't had time to get too attached.

Except in the rare cases of a local phenom (like Jayson Tatum), I make a point of not getting attached to a recruit until he commits to the Billikens.  I don't even want to see highlight videos unless he's a future Bill.

• 2 weeks later...
On July 28, 2016 at 10:03 AM, brianstl said:

Terrell Ramey is Director of Community Relations at Cardinal Ritter Prep.  My guess is that might the reason there are rumors about Courtney leaving Webster.

Rumors aren't true, Courtney is returning to Webster.  They were looking at prep schools out of state, not Cardinal Ritter. 

8 hours ago, Billiken4life5 said:

Rumors aren't true, Courtney is returning to Webster.  They were looking at prep schools out of state, not Cardinal Ritter. 

I heard similar things about Carte'Are Gordon. Apparently the thought is that he will head to a basketball factory next year as well.

20 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Not sure if this is on the list but Ayo Dosunmu has an offer from SLU. Ranked #59 in the class of 2018 by ESPN. 6'2 PG with offers from SLU, Illinois (ha), Florida St, Northwestern, SMU, Texas A&M, and UNLV according to ESPN

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/224172/ayo-dosunmu 

Yep, got him. Recently picked up a Xavier offer on his visit.

-with Friday's verbal from Goodwin it makes me hope we have a better chance to land other quality local kids, any word on how these or other locals did over the summer and if we are still in the mix with them?

- Torrence Watson, Carte’Are Martin, Courtney Ramey, Kale Catchings, Fred Thatch, Gavin Pinkley, Karrington Davis

Ramey and Gordon have higher aspirations. Watson is a top 100 player we have a legitimate shot and would make a dynamite backcourt partner with Goodwin after Henriquez graduates. Davis and Thatch are top 300 type 3 stars. They would be top recruits under Crews and average recruits under Ford. Either would be a nice consolation prize if the full court press on Watson doesn't work out.

Pinkley is currently a skinny 3/4 tweener. Valley guy until he bulks up or develops ball skills.

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Ramey and Gordon have higher aspirations. Watson is a top 100 player we have a legitimate shot and would make a dynamite backcourt partner with Goodwin after Henriquez graduates. Davis and Thatch are top 300 type 3 stars. They would be top recruits under Crews and average recruits under Ford. Either would be a nice consolation prize if the full court press on Watson doesn't work out.

Pinkley is currently a skinny 3/4 tweener. Valley guy until he bulks up or develops ball skills.

What are your thoughts on Catchings?

I think you might be underselling Thatch and Davis a little. Tulsa and Mizzou were on Thatch early but his recruitment has been way under the radar; we offered in late June, I believe. He seems to be a pretty physical gamer, though. Davis' stock rose quickly this summer. We're his best offer at this point but he's got a lot of SEC interest. I will be curious to see what he does on Chaminade's squad now that the 2016 class is gone; the supporting underclassmen should be better than people realized.

33 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Are we going hard after Watson?

Just now, Zink said:

Are we going hard after Watson?

My understanding is that Tate does in fact have an established relationship with Watson, so I am expecting us to be a player for him. I had heard Gordon and Ramey don't have much natural interest in SLU, so they may take some work if we target them.

9 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I had heard Gordon and Ramey don't have much natural interest in SLU, so they may take some work if we target them.

Ramey more so than Gordon.  From what I've heard Gordon is all ku. 

2 minutes ago, Billiken4life5 said:

Gordon visited Mizzou last week.  Not at all a sure thing that he goes to KU

A few reasons he went to Mizzou to visit.  But he is a big ku fan, and holds an offer. 

37 minutes ago, wgstl said:

A few reasons he went to Mizzou to visit.  But he is a big ku fan, and holds an offer. 

-recruits looking at Mizzou might want to have the same skeptical view of the coaching situation as those looking at Illinois as neither seems a sure thing to have the same coach next season

-I hope if either or both go looking for coaches they don't look our way....

8 hours ago, Pistol said:

What are your thoughts on Catchings?

I think you might be underselling Thatch and Davis a little. Tulsa and Mizzou were on Thatch early but his recruitment has been way under the radar; we offered in late June, I believe. He seems to be a pretty physical gamer, though. Davis' stock rose quickly this summer. We're his best offer at this point but he's got a lot of SEC interest. I will be curious to see what he does on Chaminade's squad now that the 2016 class is gone; the supporting underclassmen should be better than people realized.

You're right, I am underselling Thatch.  Thatch is a high major athlete who can do a lot of the things Goodwin can do.  The major knock on him right now is he is a volume scorer a la Ash Yacoubou.  But if Ash was a top 150 guy, then Thatch certainly is.

Davis is in the middle of a growth spurt and is developing nicely.  Long athlete but slightly built with average ball handling.  I'm sticking with top 300.

Catchings is a solid 6'5 athlete who doesn't do anything particularly well.  He'll be the centerpiece at CBC this year so he'll get the opportunity to take his game to the next level. 

12 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

We need Watson to start playing for the Eagles 

Not necessarily. I'd personally rather see us have significant recruiting wins from multiple local AAU programs instead of just one pipeline.

Love the Goodwin tweet, by the way. That'd be a formidable backcourt.