Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2018 list will be up later today or tomorrow.

How have we not offered Gordon yet?! Good gravy.

Its better to play it slow. Let a SLU offer be a rarity instead of just another offer to go with his high major offers he has already.

Some thoughts on this list:

-Gordon, Ramey, Thatch, and Easley are all "must offer immediately" players.

-We were on Easley early, but since then all the big in-state powers have offered and he's going to be a nationally-rated player on everyone's radar. Even though he hasn't started sophomore year yet, I think that ship may have sailed.

-Catchings is a kid I'd be recruiting hard, but I definitely want to see more of him before I'd say whether I'd offer yet.

-I've seen Hellems play plenty, but it's usually as the fifth guy on Chaminade's loaded team. He's got good size and some ability for a freshman, but he also looks lost a lot of the time. I have questions about his athleticism. But I'll be watching him a lot closer this season now that Tatum and Cook are off the table.

-One thing the names on this list have in common is that they're all really big for their age. The guys on this list have more developed frames than almost all the players on the 2016 list. These are mostly 4-star guys, no question. Maybe higher for a few when all is said and done.

2018 list will be up later today or tomorrow.

How have we not offered Gordon yet?! Good gravy.

Have we not learned to focus on players we actually have a chance of landing? Top 25 players don't play in the A10. And getting Top 100 players to consider SLU is like pulling teeth. The best teams we've had at SLU is when we've made The Next 100 a priority in our recruiting. Many of the kids who will be in that group aren't even starting on varsity yet.

-Gordon is listed at Webster Groves HS, is that a done deal?

-Watson from Whitfield from my few times seeing him looks like a player, I'll hope to see him play more this season

-Catchings seemingly has the DNA

-the Hellems kid has a way to go in my view, seems way behind Watson from a maturity aspect

-Easley, I realize this quote did not come from the staff but we were aggressively on him at the start, didn't offer, blows up, bigs come and offer before we do, not sure I like that progression, would love to know a reason but realize probably won't

-love the quote on Thatch

Have we not learned to focus on players we actually have a chance of landing? Top 25 players don't play in the A10. And getting Top 100 players to consider SLU is like pulling teeth. The best teams we've had at SLU is when we've made made The Next 100 a priority in our recruiting. Many of the kids who will be in that group aren't even starting on varsity yet.

I agree in general but for local kids, I say go after them. We will be able to get a better gauge after seeing the recruiting class we get this year but I don't think going after Tatum killed us. And that was being in his top 4 and looked like down to the final 2.

When you can drive to their games and there are other kids on the team or teams they will be playing against that we can also recruit, no reason not to try and see if the top 25 kid may be interested. If not, I'm sure they would pick up on it early and don't have to spend more time but I'd much rather have the coaches try on all local kids.

Who knows, I am still hoping by 2018 we may get into the Big East.

When you can drive to their games and there are other kids on the team or teams they will be playing against that we can also recruit, no reason not to try and see if the top 25 kid may be interested. If not, I'm sure they would pick up on it early and don't have to spend more time but I'd much rather have the coaches try on all local kids.

Everybody wants to be like Gonzaga but no one wants to recruit like Gonzaga. Win consistently with top 300 guys. Winning gets you respect and access to top 100 guys. If you establish a winning tradition over the course of a decade, you get access to top 50 guys. And even then you need a top flight salesman to get a commitment.

Butler is already in the Big East, has been to TWO Final Fours and is still getting the cold shoulder from Top 50 players. That's the hierarchy you're up against.

The beauty of having freshmen/sophomores who are potential top 50 kids in your own backyard is that you can be involved early and often. To already give up on recruits who don't even have driver's licenses because they'll probably be 'out of our league' in a year or two seems like a loser's mentality to me. Sure, the big programs will come calling but they can say "SLU was recruiting me when..."

To say Gonzaga is competitive with "top 300" recruits is false. Let's take a look at some offers guys on their current roster had:

Wiltjer: Transferred from Kentucky, was a McDonald's All-American; Cal, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Texas, Wake Forest

Pangos: Cincinnati, Michigan, UNLV, Temple

Bell: Arizona State, Cal, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State

Karnowski: Cal, Marquette, possibly Duke and Kansas

Nunez: Transferred from Louisville; Cincinnati, UConn, Arizona, Arkansas, Indiana, Providence, Rutgers, St. John's, West Virginia, Virginia Tech

McClellan: Transferred from Vandy; Tulsa, Wichita State, SMU, Fresno State, Pepperdine, Tulane

Wesley: Transferred from USC;

Dranginis: Utah, Utah State, Washington State, Boise State, Notre Dame, Portland, San Diego

Perkins: UCLA, Minnesota

Sabonis: Arizona State, Oregon

Melson: Washington

Gonzaga currently has commitments from Zach Collins (4-star with offers from Oregon, Iowa State, Iowa, Baylor, USC, Cal, Arizona, ASU, Washington, SDSU, UNLV) and a 3-star 2017 PG. Look at the offers they have out to other 2016 kids; a lot of talent.

Point is, Gonzaga is recruiting the top third of the top 300. Would I love to recruit like them? Unquestionably.

It's hard to win consistently with top 300 kids in order to gain access to the top 100 and then 50. We have a few top-50 types in our own area, and you think we should be too afraid to offer them because they're too good for us? They're 15 and 16! If our staff is afraid to offer young talent in our own area because they think they're already out of our league, then we should drop down to D-III. Pathetic.

Thats what I'm trying to figure out.

If so, WG has to be one of the best teams in MO history, 2 5*.

Will Gordon and Ramey be 5 star recruits? That would be a lot of fun to watch over the next three seasons along with Chaminade this coming season and Althoff the next two.

The beauty of having freshmen/sophomores who are potential top 50 kids in your own backyard is that you can be involved early and often. To already give up on recruits who don't even have driver's licenses because they'll probably be 'out of our league' in a year or two seems like a loser's mentality to me. Sure, the big programs will come calling but they can say "SLU was recruiting me when..."

To say Gonzaga is competitive with "top 300" recruits is false. Let's take a look at some offers guys on their current roster had:

Wiltjer: Transferred from Kentucky, was a McDonald's All-American; Cal, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Texas, Wake Forest

Pangos: Cincinnati, Michigan, UNLV, Temple

Bell: Arizona State, Cal, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State

Karnowski: Cal, Marquette, possibly Duke and Kansas

Nunez: Transferred from Louisville; Cincinnati, UConn, Arizona, Arkansas, Indiana, Providence, Rutgers, St. John's, West Virginia, Virginia Tech

McClellan: Transferred from Vandy; Tulsa, Wichita State, SMU, Fresno State, Pepperdine, Tulane

Wesley: Transferred from USC;

Dranginis: Utah, Utah State, Washington State, Boise State, Notre Dame, Portland, San Diego

Perkins: UCLA, Minnesota

Sabonis: Arizona State, Oregon

Melson: Washington

Gonzaga currently has commitments from Zach Collins (4-star with offers from Oregon, Iowa State, Iowa, Baylor, USC, Cal, Arizona, ASU, Washington, SDSU, UNLV) and a 3-star 2017 PG. Look at the offers they have out to other 2016 kids; a lot of talent.

Point is, Gonzaga is recruiting the top third of the top 300. Would I love to recruit like them? Unquestionably.

It's hard to win consistently with top 300 kids in order to gain access to the top 100 and then 50. We have a few top-50 types in our own area, and you think we should be too afraid to offer them because they're too good for us? They're 15 and 16! If our staff is afraid to offer young talent in our own area because they think they're already out of our league, then we should drop down to D-III. Pathetic.

Top 300 to Top 100 to Top 50 describes the evolution of Gonzaga's recruiting over the last 15 years. They started out winning with unheralded recruits like Casey Calvary. A few years later they were able to bring in a top 150 guy like Adam Morrison . A few years later they were bringing in their fair share of top 100 recruits. In the last couple of years they've been able to recruit on equal footing with the Pac 12 powers for top 50 players. Some folks to want to skip right to the Top 50 recruiting without going through the first two stages first.