Who disappears when the rotation gets cut down?

ARon

Twice this week I've heard or read comments from coach Crews that show how frustrated he is with this bunch. He told the media part of the trouble in cutting down the rotation is that not a single player on the team has strung two good games together. During the post-game show last night he said, with a very exasperated tone, "Looks like we played everyone again tonight."

But by conference play I have to imagine the oration will be cut down to 8 or 9. It's one things to play 10-11 players because they are all so good, but when they are mostly playing like lost children?

So as of today who are the odd men out?

At this point (and this is assuming Glaze still isn't back), I think it's is Jolly, Reynolds, and Roby. I'm surprised myself by this as I'd assumed all three would at least be ahead of their fellow freshmen by now. Maybe Roby gets in at the expense of Lancona against smaller lineups.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McBroom should not start, I'd rather have him coming off the bench for instant offense at the 2. I am still puzzled as to why manning continues to get the starts. Reggie just needs more and more playing time and he will lock in. Ash is starting to drop some of those layups, imagine if he can find his stroke by conference play. I still think he has the talent and athleticism to do great things for this team the remainder of the season and especially next year.

Bartley

Ash

Yarborough

Reggie

GIllman

In fact, Yarborough is the only player who seems to be stringing together consistent performances at this point. Just put him on the floor and let him do his thing.

McBroom should not start, I'd rather have him coming off the bench for instant offense at the 2. I am still puzzled as to why manning continues to get the starts. Reggie just needs more and more playing time and he will lock in. Ash is starting to drop some of those layups, imagine if he can find his stroke by conference play. I still think he has the talent and athleticism to do great things for this team the remainder of the season and especially next year.

Bartley

Ash

Yarborough

Reggie

GIllman

In fact, Yarborough is the only player who seems to be stringing together consistent performances at this point. Just put him on the floor and let him do his thing.

I agree and I like your lineup. The only thing that matters is developing the young guys. Manning should be removed from the lineup period. He's a complete disaster and as a Senior he has no future here. I still am bewildered at what a disappointment he was from day one and then worse, he subsequently strings together three straight summers of zero development. I cringe when I think back to Majerus' comments about him being a future NBA player...good lord. I feel like Agbeko is also clueless when it comes to court sense and I wonder if he will ever get it. I don't see the point in playing Glaze either...if he's healthy, he should be bouncing at Humphrey's.

I agree and I like your lineup. The only thing that matters is developing the young guys. Manning should be removed from the lineup period. He's a complete disaster and as a Senior he has no future here. I still am bewildered at what a disappointment he was from day one and then worse, he subsequently strings together three straight summers of zero development. I cringe when I think back to Majerus' comments about him being a future NBA player...good lord. I feel like Agbeko is also clueless when it comes to court sense and I wonder if he will ever get it. I don't see the point in playing Glaze either...if he's healthy, he should be bouncing at Humphrey's.

You do not need to take such brutal shots at our kids, playing hard, doing the best they can.

Constructive criticism, sure.

But you are not a Billiken fan if you throw our hard working kids under the bus like you have here with your vile comments.

Show some class.

You do not need to take such brutal shots at our kids, playing hard, doing the best they can.

But you are not a Billiken fan if you throw our hard working kids under the bus like you have here with your vile comments.

Show some class.

Sorry I posted my opinion.

Show some class.

Just stop

The question was who will not be in the rotation not who will start. At this time none has distinguished themselves to be left in or left out. Crews is stuck with his problem but what I would do is not be substituting so much if the group on the floor seems to be doing alright. He tends to sub even when things are going well.

Manning had the overall best game of any of our Centers this year. Sure it was SIUE, but he was efficient at both ends of the floor. He is the only pivot who has shown this year that he knows how to defend.

Flopping, hoping to buy an offensive foul, is not very efficient. It has worked, what, three times, and hasn't worked a dozen. A player on the floor can't defend or rebound. You know who I'm talking about. When Ellis was doing it, the rules were different.

Who starts is immaterial. Who gets the minutes is what's important. Personally I liked the core that got solid minutes last night, Ash, Manning, Crawford, Yarbrough, and McBroom/Roby. They all know how to defend, and are our top three scorers.

Manning had the overall best game of any of our Centers this year.

You are right and I know that he did, but think for a second about how low the bar is when we have people on this board organizing a circle jerk because he put up 6 points and 6 boards against SIUE? He's a senior. I'd rather watch our other guys play.

You are right and I know that he did, but think for a second about how low the bar is when we have people on this board organizing a circle jerk because he put up 6 points and 6 boards against SIUE? He's a senior. I'd rather watch our other guys play.

+1. I'm sure John Manning is a fine person, and I wish him all the success in the world, but he really shouldn't be on the floor over Gillmann or Jolly or Lancona at this point. We need to be building for the future.

The question was who will not be in the rotation not who will start. At this time none has distinguished themselves to be left in or left out. Crews is stuck with his problem but what I would do is not be substituting so much if the group on the floor seems to be doing alright. He tends to sub even when things are going well.

I believe if Crews stops doing this the team will play much better. He did it yesterday when SLU started pulling away and took out players who were producing.

I believe if Crews stops doing this the team will play much better. He did it yesterday when SLU started pulling away and took out players who were producing.

He did the same thing against SDSU, we went up 7 in the second half with good offensive flow and he takes 3 players out and we squander the lead. He did it again last night

Manning is easily our best post defender but as I said earlier, he can't defend a ball screen to save his life. It's a give and take with all our big men on defense. At least Gillmann adds an offensive threat. That being said, Gillmann and Manning need all the time at the 5 in my opinion. Not sure Jolly should see any time barring foul trouble.

Even when he isn't scoring, the offense just seems to run better when Crawford is out there. 3 of our better games this year had Crawford playing 20+ minutes.

Manning is easily our best post defender but as I said earlier, he can't defend a ball screen to save his life. It's a give and take with all our big men on defense. At least Gillmann adds an offensive threat. That being said, Gillmann and Manning need all the time at the 5 in my opinion. Not sure Jolly should see any time barring foul trouble.

Even when he isn't scoring, the offense just seems to run better when Crawford is out there. 3 of our better games this year had Crawford playing 20+ minutes.

I pretty much agree with this in its entirety. But watching Gillmann's matador defense on ball screens two games in a row is very, very troublesome.

i have been saying that MC and TL should be logging more minutes, they are the only ones who know our offensive scheme. Crawford played well last night, but know one seems to recognize it. Rose colored glasses for the freshman

I do agree the offensive seemed to run better when Crawford was in the game but believe it was addition by subtraction. Crawford doesn't add anything positive besides knowing where to go and move the ball. It would be nice if he hit an outside shot ,but I can say that about everybody except AM. While he may help in the short run you are not going to be a good team wth MC playing 20+ minutes.

i have been saying that MC and TL should be logging more minutes, they are the only ones who know our offensive scheme. Crawford played well last night, but know one seems to recognize it. Rose colored glasses for the freshman

I am totally on board with you. Crawford understands how to defend also. He isn't the quickest afoot, but he knows the system.

This concerns the none part of the " " - I think there is no ? some have proved worthy of being in the top 9. easily Yarborough, N Hollywood, Ash, both Austins and Bartley.

Manning had the overall best game of any of our Centers this year. Sure it was SIUE, but he was efficient at both ends of the floor. He is the only pivot who has shown this year that he knows how to defend.

Flopping, hoping to buy an offensive foul, is not very efficient. It has worked, what, three times, and hasn't worked a dozen. A player on the floor can't defend or rebound. You know who I'm talking about. When Ellis was doing it, the rules were different.

Who starts is immaterial. Who gets the minutes is what's important. Personally I liked the core that got solid minutes last night, Ash, Manning, Crawford, Yarbrough, and McBroom/Roby. They all know how to defend, and are our top three scorers.

Not really disagreeing with what you say here but manning should have the best game of all of our centers every game. He is competing against two first semester freshmen. The fact that he doesn't stand out at all in comparison to the freshmen is what gets people so frustrated with him. If he isn't noticeably better than the other two, for the sake of future development he shouldn't play.

I pretty much agree with this in its entirety. But watching Gillmann's matador defense on ball screens two games in a row is very, very troublesome.

I totally agree with this. I'm not a big Manning fan by any means but the other two centers have been awful defensively. Both Gillman and Jolly couldn't recover on the pick and rolls last night. It was awful defense by both those guys. Manning at least stopped the bleeding some in that area, which I think stemmed the tide in that game. Manning helped the guards recover that kept getting beat off the dribble.

I totally agree with this. I'm not a big Manning fan by any means but the other two centers have been awful defensively. Both Gillman and Jolly couldn't recover on the pick and rolls last night. It was awful defense by both those guys. Manning at least stopped the bleeding some in that area, which I think stemmed the tide in that game. Manning helped the guards recover that kept getting beat off the dribble.

wow! You thought Manning defended the pick and roll. We saw different games. What he did do was clog up the middle at the end.

I must have seen a completely different game than all of you manning supporters. There was absolutely nothing that warranted manning getting more minutes than Gillman. Yeah, manning had some nice blocks against guys 1-2 feet shorter, but otherwise his defense was not anything special. I counted at least 5-6 times where he simply let his man dribble right past him and into the lane. He was too slow to get in front and block them out. I also though Gillman looked pretty decent on defense, he seemed to move much faster to block out his man than manning did. I must have been watching a completely different game though....