Would relocation of Rams open opportunity for SLU?

bk18

Will anyone have football in 30 years? I'd rather see SLU fund and dominate the sports already in place, maybe adding hockey and/or lacrosse to the D1 ranks.

Neither will have football.

SLU'd viable sports future lies in top flight D1 hoops - a la Xavier, Dayton, Marquette, Villanova

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they would've made Chaifetz able to turn into a hockey rink, I think D1 hockey would be great. There are a lot of former NHL alumni living in the area and St. Louis is producing a lot of NHL talent right now. There are currently 5 kids from St. Louis listed on the top 40 North American skaters for the upcoming NHL draft which is impressive. Blues also announced recently their plan to contribute more money to hockey development programs in the area.

No idea of conference and all of those things that go with it but from a talent stand point, makes sense for SLU.

Wasn't there a plan before the recession for the Blues to build a new practice facility at Grand and Chouteau and SLU would have used it for the club team and/or started a varsity team? That could have worked. Easier to get SLU students to go than out where the club team plays now

Wasn't there a plan before the recession for the Blues to build a new practice facility at Grand and Chouteau and SLU would have used it for the club team and/or started a varsity team? That could have worked. Easier to get SLU students to go than out where the club team plays now

A of of schools have rinks that are open for students for public skates and such, also intramural games. That would be the best

Isnt the Blues organization also starting an initiative to build more ice rinks in the St Louis area? They're pumping like $2 million into this to draw more youth into the youth hockey programs in St Louis. You gotta think they could potentially help fund the construction of a new ice rink facility somewhere close to SLU.

With no NFL, hockey has a lot of upside potential at SLU.

St. Louis fans enthusiastically supported the successful SLU D-1 team in the 70's, with very high attendance before the Jesuits panicked and pulled the plug. Yes I know the free ride ended at the Checkerdome.

It is a Title IX problem, though, you'd have to pull 25 schollies from other men's teams to offset it. Title IX hurt the growth of men's hockey in D-1.

St. Louis is a good hockey town with plenty of support, lots of experienced, knowledgeable people including potential coaches to run the program; it is worth a look but probably isn't going to get one.

With no NFL, hockey has a lot of upside potential at SLU.

St. Louis fans enthusiastically supported the successful SLU D-1 team in the 70's, with very high attendance before the Jesuits panicked and pulled the plug. Yes I know the free ride ended at the Checkerdome.

It is a Title IX problem, though, you'd have to pull 25 schollies from other men's teams to offset it. Title IX hurt the growth of men's hockey in D-1.

St. Louis is a good hockey town with plenty of support, lots of experienced, knowledgeable people including potential coaches to run the program; it is worth a look but probably isn't going to get one.

I believe hockey is 18 full scholarships for D1. Similar to baseball where they will split some up.

Not if they simultaneously started up a women's team. :)

I realize that... but it is a very expensive sport to fund, and attendance at women's hockey games to support a woman's program would be problematic.

If SLU is ever going to take a look at D-1 hockey, this is the time. They won't. It could be a money maker, other sports, no. Football, way too big of a risk.

I realize that... but it is a very expensive sport to fund, and attendance at women's hockey games to support a woman's program would be problematic.

I think it would be more problematic to start up a men's team without starting up a women's team. The clock tower would probably not be left standing. ;)

What is the marketing value in the media exposure, etcetera of a top 60 football program?

4% of college bound high school grads have heard of St. Louis U

38% of those believe it is the same as UMSL

A football program would do way more in a week than 4 billboards on a farm in Illinois along I-55 could do in 50 years. If we could make a better team than BC we would have the best Jesuit football program in the country and Mizzou would basically be irrelevant.

What is the marketing value in the media exposure, etcetera of a top 60 football program?

A football program would do way more in a week than 4 billboards on a farm in Illinois along I-55 could do in 50 years. If we could make a better team than BC we would have the best Jesuit football program in the country and Mizzou would basically be irrelevant.

How in the sam hell is SLU supposed to fund and build a top 60 football program? We are wondering if Jim Crews will be fired or not. Football is not happening. SLU sports is not headed there.

Can you imagine? More high dollar coaching staff. Tons of scholarships, dome rental fees... Initial god awful product.. Its just not happening give it up

Just wow.

How in the sam hell is SLU supposed to fund and build a top 60 football program? We are wondering if Jim Crews will be fired or not. Football is not happening. SLU sports is not headed there.

Can you imagine? More high dollar coaching staff. Tons of scholarships, dome rental fees... Initial god awful product.. Its just not happening give it up

The 3 phases of truth:

First, you are ridiculed

Second, people begin to accept

Third, people say that's the way it always should have been

Get real, man. Fix the GD basketball program before you start talking nonsense. Top 60? LMAO we are like top 300 in basketball.

There doesn't have to be a direct correlation between success in one revenue sport and another. It is a relatively weak argument for why a team shouldn't be founded. If you want to say that there aren't enough resources to spread around I get that, but if the boosters sat down and said their money is going to football I am sure you would see something happen. Their money ultimately determines what happens athletically. If they say fix the basketball program that will happen. While unlikely, if they back football then football will potentially happen.

Isnt the Blues organization also starting an initiative to build more ice rinks in the St Louis area? They're pumping like $2 million into this to draw more youth into the youth hockey programs in St Louis. You gotta think they could potentially help fund the construction of a new ice rink facility somewhere close to SLU.

The Blues will soon be announcing their partnership helping to build a 4 sheets of ice complex (4 games can take place at the same time under 1 roof) located in Maryland Heights. This large facility will be able to attract better hockey tournaments so that the local teams won't have to travel as much. Tournaments are just not possible will 1 sheet of ice facilities found in Webster, Kirkwood, Creve Coeur, etc. I am told it will be located by the Lou Fusz and Scott Gallagher soccer complexes. The plan is to leave their location at The Mills in Hazelwood/North County which is nice but only 1 sheet of ice and attached to an all but dead outlet mall. Stay tuned.

The down side, though, is that the ice complex in Chesterfield (3 sheets of ice) known as Hardee's or previously Summit will be torn down and replaced by a Top Golf complex.

But yes, the local community would definitely support D-1 hockey. At the same time, the price tag I am told is $10 million per year as opposed to $2 million to $3 million for D3 or "club" hockey like what is found at MIzzou, Missouri State, Lindenwood, etc.