Would relocation of Rams open opportunity for SLU?

bk18

I have not heard anyone in St. Louis talk about the Raiders moving here. When people talk of poaching another NFL team from a different city, they seem to focus on the Chargers, which makes sense. They have had much bigger problems with their stadium for much longer than the Rams in St. Louis.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bernie Miklasz mentioned the possibility of the Raiders and St. Louis.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/bernie-it-s-no-fantasy-for-stl-la-to-both/article_64fcb864-b8f5-509e-8fe6-72f36c71f7df.html

The San Diego Chargers are owned by the Spanos family of Stockton, CA. I do not see them moving to St. Louis. The University of the Pacific's basketball arena in Stockton is the Alex G. Spanos Center. (SLU actually played UOP and won there under Brad Soderberg.) Nor do I see the Chargers leaving Southern California; they will either stay in San Diego or move back to the LA Area (Carson). The Chargers played their inaugural season as the Los Angeles Chargers before moving to San Diego in Year 2. The Chargers have estimated that 35% of their fanbase comes from the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area.

I feel bad for St. Louis, should it lose a 2nd NFL team, especially one it has supported. I thought it was absurd when a former St. Louis Mayor said the Football Cardinals and St. Louis were like a bad marriage. The Football Cardinals in St. Louis may have been incompetent, but they were never boring.

If St. Louis had dealt with Bill Bidwill, he would have never moved the Football Cardinals, and his son, SLU graduate Michael Bidwill, would be competently running the team today- in St. Louis. And St. Louis would not be in its current predicament.

Thanks. I had not seen that article.

I still think people in St. Louis are wrong to assume the stadium proposal is about trying to woo Kroenke into staying here. It's about trying to woo the NFL into not allowing Kroenke to move, and about trying to woo another potential owner should Kroenke be deprived of LA and forced to sell to a different owner. Kroenke staying in St. Louis for the long-term has already become an untenable situation, I think. And poaching another franchise from a different city seems like a much less likely outcome than the above.

Thanks. I had not seen that article.

I still think people in St. Louis are wrong to assume the stadium proposal is about trying to woo Kroenke into staying here. It's about trying to woo the NFL into not allowing Kroenke to move, and about trying to woo another potential owner should Kroenke be deprived of LA and forced to sell to a different owner. Kroenke staying in St. Louis for the long-term has already become an untenable situation, I think. And poaching another franchise from a different city seems like a much less likely outcome than the above.

Tagliabue was still defending his fellow Georgetown alumnus, Bill Bidwill, when that 2nd NFL expansion team was granted to Jacksonville, FL over St. Louis. That should have never happened, as in never. St. Louis had difficulty getting its act together, but should have been awarded that expansion team that wallows in Jacksonville, the originator of the infamous tarps covering empty seats to reduce game capacity to avoid the local blackout rule and get the games on TV.

Then Khan was in contract to buy the Rams. Khan is from Champaign, IL, and most likely would have been happy to keep the Rams in St. Louis. Kroenke exercised his right of first refusal, and then the rest of the saga has since ensued. Now ironically, Khan owns the Jacksonville team, but may be stuck in Jacksonville per the tight exit clause provisions.

As a sidebar, Tagliabue played a key advisory role in the formation of the New Big East. St. Louis and SLU did not come out too well in that one either.

I still have an old St. Louis Stallions t-shirt I bought at Soulard Market. The colors match my old St. Louis Swarm IBL championship t-shirt.

I get weird looks when I break out my Sportsprint Stallions tee I bought for a buck the day after the franchise was awarded to Jacksonville.

Thinking about it is pretty awful that I own Stallions, Swarm, Skyhawks, Storm apparel all in good condition yet ruined by billikens.com shirt.

If Tagliabue had made the correct decision, instead of still rendering justice for Bill Bidwill, the St. Louis Stallions would be playing in the Edward Jones Dome now, and the NFL's Jacksonville problem would not exist.

But would Stallions owner Stan Kroenke nevertheless be trying to move the St. Louis Stallions to Los Angeles?

If Tagliabue, from his position as Chairman of the Georgetown Board of Trustees and adviser re the start up New Big East given sound advice re the 10th Big East school, Georgetown not ceded the 10th school decision to Marquette, not only would Saint Louis University no longer be "a proud member of the Atlantic 10 Conference," but SLU would be completing its 2nd Year in the Big East, instead of Creighton of Omaha, which sits today in SLU's Big East seat.

Creighton of Omaha would still be playing in Arch Madness today at the Scottrade Center.

If Tagliabue had made the correct decision, instead of still rendering justice for Bill Bidwill, the St. Louis Stallions would be playing in the Edward Jones Dome now, and the NFL's Jacksonville problem would not exist.

But would Stallions owner Stan Kroenke nevertheless be trying to move the St. Louis Stallions to Los Angeles?

If Tagliabue, from his position as Chairman of the Georgetown Board of Trustees and adviser re the start up New Big East given sound advice re the 10th Big East school, and not allowed Georgetown to cede the 10th school decision to Marquette, not only would Saint Louis University no longer be "a proud member of the Atlantic 10 Conference," but would be completing its 2nd Year in the Big East, instead of Creighton of Omaha, which sits today in SLU's Big East seat.

-Kroenke was going to own the expansion team? I don't recall it that way

I get weird looks when I break out my Sportsprint Stallions tee I bought for a buck the day after the franchise was awarded to Jacksonville.

Thinking about it is pretty awful that I own Stallions, Swarm, Skyhawks, Storm apparel all in good condition yet ruined by billikens.com shirt.

I don't have any Skyhawks apparel, but I think I have a Vipers t-shirt somewhere. Another one I missed out on was the Stampede.

I don't have any Skyhawks apparel, but I think I have a Vipers t-shirt somewhere. Another one I missed out on was the Stampede.

What about the Swarm?

SLU defeated Iowa in the NIT at the Family Arena amidst all the lines and the big bumble bee at midcourt.

That was the game Drejaj buried the game winner from the corner at the buzzer.

• 10 months later...

St. Louis needs serious consideration of an MLS team and/or SLU to start to develop a football program. If SLU were to develop a football program, the AAC would be a nice fit eventually.

List of Major Metropolitan cities without an NFL team and the nearest football stadium and/or MLS stadium with average attendance/capacity

St Louis, Missouri 2,913,673 -- Mizzou (65,000 avg / 71,000 capacity - 125 miles)

Sacramento, California 2,600,000 -- UC Davis (6,000 avg 10,700 - 16 miles); Oakland Raiders 63,000 (87 miles)

Portland, Oregon 2,314,554 -- MLS (Portland Timbers) (22,000); University of Oregon (57,000 avg 59,000 - 111 miles); Oregon St. (48,000 avg / 46,00 capacity - 83 miles)

San Antonio, Texas 2,277,550 -- Alamodome (UTSA) 28,000 avg / 65,000 capacity ; University of Texas (94,000 avg / 100,000 - 80 miles)

Orlando, Florida 2,267,846 -- UCF (38,000 avg / 45,000 capacity) MLS (Citrus Bowl - 61,000)

Las Vegas, Nevada 2,000,759 -- UNLV (16,000 avg / 35,000 capacity)

San Jose, California 1,975,342 -- 8 miles from Levi's Stadium (SF 49ers)

Columbus, Ohio 1,944,002 -- Ohio St. (106,000 avg)

Providence, Rhode Island 1,630,956 -- URI 5,300 avg 5,200 capacity

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 1,569,659 -- Green Bay (80,000 - 118 miles) UW-Madison (79,000 - 80 miles)

PS: I hope 05's blood pressure is now up 40 points

St. Louis needs serious consideration of an MLS team and/or SLU to start to develop a football program. If SLU were to develop a football program, the AAC would be a nice fit eventually.

List of Major Metropolitan cities without an NFL team and the nearest football stadium and/or MLS stadium with average attendance/capacity

St Louis, Missouri 2,913,673 -- Mizzou (65,000 avg / 71,000 capacity - 125 miles)

Sacramento, California 2,600,000 -- UC Davis (6,000 avg 10,700 - 16 miles); Oakland Raiders 63,000 (87 miles)

Portland, Oregon 2,314,554 -- MLS (Portland Timbers) (22,000); University of Oregon (57,000 avg 59,000 - 111 miles); Oregon St. (48,000 avg / 46,00 capacity - 83 miles)

San Antonio, Texas 2,277,550 -- Alamodome (UTSA) 28,000 avg / 65,000 capacity ; University of Texas (94,000 avg / 100,000 - 80 miles)

Orlando, Florida 2,267,846 -- UCF (38,000 avg / 45,000 capacity) MLS (Citrus Bowl - 61,000)

Las Vegas, Nevada 2,000,759 -- UNLV (16,000 avg / 35,000 capacity)

San Jose, California 1,975,342 -- 8 miles from Levi's Stadium (SF 49ers)

Columbus, Ohio 1,944,002 -- Ohio St. (106,000 avg)

Providence, Rhode Island 1,630,956 -- URI 5,300 avg 5,200 capacity

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 1,569,659 -- Green Bay (80,000 - 118 miles) UW-Madison (79,000 - 80 miles)

PS: I hope 05's blood pressure is now up 40 points

MLS yes NCAA football no

I'd love to see SLU revive their football program, but I don't know if they have had the necessary foresight to anticipate this once in a lifetime opportunity. Though I suppose this opportunity exists for a while since there is no NFL occupant of the Edward Jones Dome and MLS would most likely not prevent SLU from using the space.

the biggest benefit that the Rams departure might give Saint Louis University is not a football team, (that is never going to happen considering the cost of startup and thereforward) is it will free up a lot of sports entertainment dollars that were ear marked for the Rams since they came to town. Right before the Rams came to St Louis the Billikens were in the midst of some incredible attendance years. Saint Louis University had some top 50 attendance years prior to the Rams coming to St Louis. After the Rams came, there was a gradual decline in attendance that I believe was a big part due to the more casual sports fan picking to spead their limited sports entertainment dollars on the Rams instead of the Billikens.

Now those fans are without a place to send those dollars. Hopefully our athletic department will try to reach out to those fans in 2016 to attempt to convert them to the rebuilding of the Billikens. New coach + new fans = new era in Billiken Basketball.

the biggest benefit that the Rams departure might give Saint Louis University is not a football team, (that is never going to happen considering the cost of startup and thereforward) is it will free up a lot of sports entertainment dollars that were ear marked for the Rams since they came to town. Right before the Rams came to St Louis the Billikens were in the midst of some incredible attendance years. Saint Louis University had some top 50 attendance years prior to the Rams coming to St Louis. After the Rams came, there was a gradual decline in attendance that I believe was a big part due to the more casual sports fan picking to spead their limited sports entertainment dollars on the Rams instead of the Billikens.

Now those fans are without a place to send those dollars. Hopefully our athletic department will try to reach out to those fans in 2016 to attempt to convert them to the rebuilding of the Billikens. New coach + new fans = new era in Billiken Basketball.

+1

HERE HERE

SLU football is a pipe dream. If students won't even go to a basketball game down the street what makes you think they'll go to a football game downtown? And are there even SLU fans in this city that would support a football team? Everyone is a Mizzou fan

I get tired of the constant perpetuation of this worn-out myth. STL is a city that has had two teams owned by carpet-bagger owners who have proven to be completely inept in their ability to put a successful product on the field. Neither has done anything to engage the community or made any sort of commitment to winning football. The amount of support this city has generated for football has actually been quite impressive given how epically, historically bad STL's teams have been.

We only had one carpet bag owner - the one who just left. Bidwill was an inept owner but he was committed to StL. Is was StL let him down. McNary, County Executive, was insistent on building a stadium in Earth City but Civic Progress wanted it downtown. The two never could come together and make something happen. Bidwill wanted to stay and he gave us every opportunity to put something together but our constant City versus County thing got in the way. When the NFL expanded to Carolina and ultimately Jacksonville it was once again two sides not seeing we would be better off as one. The guy who owned Grey Eagle - I forgot his name - wanted the team and led the charge but he did not have the money even thought he had the contract for the stadium. Chuck Knight and his group were competing for the same expansion bid but he did not have the contract on the stadium. They refused to give the money to the Grey Eagle guy and he refused to give Knight the contract. The NFL gave us a year to work this out but the two were stubborn and so they pissed the opportunity away - the NFL wanted that last expansion team to go to StL. Those two times it was our fault but not this time. By the way, unless you are a BCS school football will never make the money it you need it to make.

Nearly everyone in St. Louis is a Mizzou fan because who else would they cheer for.

I think first priority is make the basketball program good enough to make Chaifetz a near sellout every game. Then slowly develop a football program. This isn't a 2016 goal. This is a 20+ year slow development. And hopefully we are out of the A-10 sooner than that.

SLU football is a pipe dream. If students won't even go to a basketball game down the street what makes you think they'll go to a football game downtown? And are there even SLU fans in this city that would support a football team? Everyone is a Mizzou fan