Bills by 15 over TAMCC

The Wiz

Totally agree on the Sharpton view point. The reverend was a calming influence on Ferguson and the city of St. Louis. The epitomy of a man for others, our jesuit mission.

Sharpton is a joke. That said, He didn't inflame the situation here.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in agreement with hsmith19's comments here.

-One could easily classify Sharpton as a racebaiter or profiteer, but he's not the reason people are protesting. Most of the people protesting don't care about Sharpton and consider him irrelevant. Nothing he says can calm or incite these people.

-There are certainly out of town communists who are causing problems. I don't think they are the only outside group and they certainly aren't the only ones causing trouble. However, they are here and have bad intentions. Here are some articles about it:

http://themissouritorch.com/blog/2014/08/17/meet-greg-joey-johnson-an-opportunistic-communist-revolutionary-agitating-in-ferguson-video/

http://themissouritorch.com/blog/2014/08/19/antonio-french-catches-communist-agitators-including-greg-joey-johnson-arguing-with-other-protestors-video/

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/press-ferguson

Now, I know the Missouri Torch is probably not a very reputable news source. However, the fact that the managing editor of the St. Louis American (about as far away from the MO Torch as you can get) is also acknowledging the presence of these outside communist agitators tells you that these people are here and that they suck at life. Apparently these people are now handing out inflammatory flyers near SLU (http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/20212/).

-If you aren't in Ferguson, Clayton, downtown, and I'll add the Shaw neighborhood, you are likely perfectly safe. You should still prepare in whatever way you deem necessary, but please refrain from spreading fear & rumors. Given the fact that that law enforcement has had months to prepare, I will be sorely disappointed if things get near as bad as the days immediately following MB's death.

To tie this back to the game on Sunday, I'm not worried at all about violence erupting on SLU's campus on a Sunday afternoon. Anything bad is likely to happen at night. Protests during the day will be more organized and focused at a specific target (Ferguson PD or McCulloch's office). The only qualms I would have about going to the game Sunday if the GJ announcement is made would be travel related if a Hwy is blocked. However, there are multiple different ways to get to/from SLU & I'm fairly adept at all of them, so I doubt anyone could prevent me from getting there.

Sharpton is a joke. That said, He didn't inflame the situation here.

Al Sharpton has brought light to numerous acts of racism and oppression to people of all minorities since the 70s. He is anything but a joke.

To provide a little context, I believe when Time does this, they are not suggesting the person(s) are the BEST person of the year, just that they are the most newsworthy in a given year.

The Ferguson protesters are running away from the Hong Kong kid in the first round. Will this help/hurt our chances of recruiting FBJT and/or BE expansion?

The Ferguson protesters are running away from the Hong Kong kid in the first round. Will this help/hurt our chances of recruiting FBJT and/or BE expansion?

I think SLU should extend an invite to the good reverend for Sunday's game assuming he is in St. Louis helping to resolve any rioting within our city. What an honor that would be.

Al Sharpton has brought light to numerous acts of racism and oppression to people of all minorities since the 70s. He is anything but a joke.

There are plenty of reasons to criticize him, but he's far more than the punchline a lot of people try to reduce him to. The way he's reinvented himself in the past few years is almost amazing. He's gone from outside agitator/calculated attention troll to a consummate political insider. And you're right, people never give him credit for all the cases of racism he exposed that were absolutely dead on. They remember Tawanna Brawley but never mention the Central Park Five.

Sharpton exploits minorities for his own financial gain. He's a pr!ck

While intelligent arguments are thought provoking and beneficial, vague statements clearing coming from a position of cluelessness (possibly idiocy?) is not helpful.

hsmith19, on 21 Nov 2014 - 2:38 PM, said:

Sharpton is nothing but a piece of garbage. It is race baiters like him that keep this country in turmoil.....I have 0 respect for him and his likes, he does nothing but tear down the African American community.....who are unwittingly duped by him.....

hsmith19, on 21 Nov 2014 - 2:38 PM, said:

Sharpton is nothing but a piece of garbage. It is race baiters like him that keep this country in turmoil.....I have 0 respect for him and his likes, he does nothing but tear down the African American community.....who are unwittingly duped by him.....

Haha. I don't remember putting it quite like that...

Hate to bring this up, but if you scroll back, it was your "SLU is going to be on lockdown" that started this tangent to begin with...

Unfortunate but true, though I think someone made a comment before me and I quoted him? Just wanted to ensure people that there would still most likely be a game on Sunday, I don't think anything is going to get out of hand. Obviously I didn't know it would ignite a political firestorm...

How about Steve deletes everything from that comment onward?

This is the only relevant post since this one went off the rails.

This just dropped from Dr. Pestello:

While there has been considerable speculation in the media, Saint Louis University does not know with certainty when the St. Louis County grand jury decision may be announced.

At this time, the University plans for all campus activities and events – including classes next Monday and Tuesday, and Sunday’s men’s basketball game – to go on as scheduled.

Additional information will be communicated when there is greater clarity on the grand jury’s decision.

Please share this information with others as appropriate. Thank you.

MB-

What are your sources now saying about the announcement?

Unforeseen last minute complications... and I would add, "what could go wrong with the SL County Executive, Mayor, Governor, DOJ, and President involved.. oh, and all from the same party?"

Too many chefs. The announcement is imminent, equipment is being brought in, moved, some rules of engagement have been negotiated, concerts and conventions canceled, some schools are closing on Monday and Tuesday already. Hate to see SLU having to suffer again if the games SUNDAY or Tuesday are affected in any way.