Harris-Stowe from the MD couch .....

Taj79

... basically, I got what I expected. There were some questions where the answers were started and some new questions to watch along the way. First thing first, this was Harris-Stowe. They are NAIA. The game was over in ten minutes. Bills up 17 to 2. You have to measure what was done in the context of who it was done against. And you have to measure what was not done in the same context. Let's call it plus and minuses ....

INDIVIDUAL PLUSES: Ash had his way. A man amongst boys. Again, look at the competition. McBroom looked okay to great but as someone said in the GDT, he did that last year early too. Only time will tell there as the competition and team knowledge of the opponent grows. Robey showed some great potential. So did Reynolds and Gillmann. Yarbrough and Agbeko seemed looser and more confident as the game wound down. Bartley had some okay moments. All in all, nothing mind-blowing, can't-wait-to-write-home-about-it super.

INDIVIDUAL MINUSES: No sighting of any Conklin summers for Grandy and John. The rebounding game remains weak for some. Jolly did little which was surprising to me as the post-Bash notes and game start had me expecting something more. Agbeko and Yarbrough looked lost in the first half. Bartley was timid. Reynolds and Robey have backgrounds that must have included some "flash" --their speed and no look passes suggested so. Tanner did not stand out --- nor did he flail about. Still a question mark. Crawford did little. Those who talked of him scoring 10 ppg might need to re-evaluate and re-project. Or maybe not --- again it is early. Crawford looked like a glue guy which could be summed up in one word --- Cassity. Not good. Need more.

TEAM STUFF: The rebounding will need work considering HSSU was quite small. While the box will say we shot 50% from the field, I'd like to know what it was with the layups and dunk deducted out. Not too impressed as I sit here and remember. Sure, McBroom shot 50% (4 of 8) from three but no one in the rest stood out except Gillmann making a three which is only notable because he's a seven-footer. I am still sky high on the potential and stil can't wait to see how this all plays out. I wouldn't throw any of the freshmen back into the sea -- they all showed something. So too did Agbeko and Lancona but not enough to say anything has been rendered on them regarding their ability. And Crawford just never got involved. Grandy was like the Grandy of old -- started each half only to go away at the four-minute mark of both. His game is what it was. Ditto for Manning. Manning did not score, right? Against a bunch of Lilliputians. Jolly also no score but he's a freshman, John's a senior. Grandy also appeared disconencted on the bench during in-game huddles. Manning took to standing in the runway behind the bench when not in. We dressed what 16 players? Probably means nothing but that's not where I want my two seniors to be. Some guys put up some numbers (Robey, Agbeko) but again look at the competition. Finally, if Rammer is going to sing "Hooray for Hollywood" everytime McBroom makes a three, he'll need singing lessons.

The preponderence of turnovers accredited to the freshman is what I fully expect as the year goes on. When you talk to athletes of any sort, the major change in the game as they move up the ladder is speed. The speed of the game becomes the biggest challenge. And these kids were studs at their last level. They think they got it covered. Most don't. They have to be good in order to get the offer to the next level. How quickly they adjust to that level is key. And some never do. Then add in that outside of McBroom, the ball will be in a rookie's hand for the most part. Turnovers get amplified. It will take time. I can't wait to see how they handle Graham, Weber and HAVOC this year. Lot's of learning to be done.

Overall, I'd give them a C for the game. A curve might take it a notch higher but who cares. Lotof hope on display last night. A lot of learning still to be done.

These six freshmen, if they were all to stick around and FBJT came into the fold, they'd be juniors right? Now that tickles the excitement keys a whole lot.

My head was spinning after watching that game last night, I didn't know what to think. but...

Agree with a lot of this. I was surprised to see that Ash was worth every bit of the hype that this board gave him. He should play 34+ mins every game.

Defense and valuing the ball is going to separate the players into those who earn PT and those who find themselves outside of the rotation.

That said, I think that this recruiting class looks the most ready to compete right away. Brief thoughts on each player

JM - Yikes.

GG - looked exactly the same as last year. Energy guy, hopefully not more than 10 mins a game.

BJ - A freshmen big man who will play a role...nuff said. I like him although he didn't shine too much last night

AG - The made-three made me giddy, but lets save him for 4 years, starting next year. Get him in the weight room.

DR - Didn't look like a freshman, I expect big minutes from him

AY - worth all the hype. A JJ that can shoot? 35+ mins/gm from him

AM - I know he needs to play, if he keeps shooting well then I am okay with that. But if his shot is off, give me a freshman there.

TL - I think he will be fine. He needs to play defense better to earn major PT

RA - He will cause match up problems...

MC - umm...not impressed. missed both of his FTs. Didn't shine at all

MY - Most intriguing player with the wingspan and size. I found myself rooting for him the most

MR - lightening fast...fastest billiken that I can remember. I know it was harris stowe but he looked like John Wall looks in the NBA. Needs to play under control though

MB - I dont think he will be a factor this year. Needs work.

As has been said before, this was an exhibition game and all things that come with it were there last night - turn overs, poor shooting stretches, sloppy ball handling. A far as individual play of the freshmen - way premature to start labeling any them as not being a factor this year - at least wait until the non conference schedule part is over. In the Post today, JC was quoted as being open to red shirting a player or two but it will be up to the player - hard to say what a 18 year old will be thinking about that subject. Now for individual thoughts:

JM - injury or not, the guy and the basketball are like to magnets repelling each other. He was out of position for rebounding often. He still can not go up with the ball with authority nor did he improve his free throw shooting. The guy is uncoordinated and how do you coach that out. Best thing about JM is that he is a senior. His worse nightmare is Jolly when it comes to playing time.

GG - he is what he is - he will play this year but he is not someone who will carry the team - he is a role player and that is all he will ever be.

AY - the kid can play and if we did not have him for this year things really would be bleak. He has a nose for the basket and thinks scoring first - this team will need that kind of an attitude.

AM - he still shoots the ball rather low and that will be a problem against quicker and taller guards throughout the season. He handled the ball well last night and unless a freshman guard can do that consistently then AM will play plenty of minutes.

MC - showed very little - he may be another JB. He will play some but not big minutes unless he improves his overall play. We can use a guy like him if he can come in and spell others and hit a shot now and then.

RA - he can rebound but his offense is just not there. When you are 6'6" and play forward you have to be quick to the basket or you will get blocked - this is the GG syndrome.

TL - he has to figure out if he is a 3 or 4. He could be an effective 4 but as a 3 he has much to prove.

Freshmen: MY - he has the body but has much to learn. DR - kid will play this year. He has the body to not be pushed around. MR - he has flashes and when he can do those consistently he will be a real find for us. BJ - I know he did not score but he played like he belonged on the court. He knows where to be and moves very well for a freshman big man. He will play more minutes then JM unless something changes but don't count on it. AG - looked better than JM but that is not saying much. I am not sure you have to red shirt him but it would not be the end of the world. MB - he is long and I like that. I think he will come together this year but it will take a little time.

what i took away is that this team will be very long, athletic skilled and experienced next year. this year, they'll be all that minus the experience.

MR looked really fast

DR looked smooth and strong

AY was a gotdamn beast, hit his first five shots. really impressed when he FLEW in for an offensive rebound in the middle of everyone, then got on the floor after it. kid has something to prove.

AM played confidently and well against a subpar team (i think if you played AM in a rec game, you would think he's NBA material). will hit OPEN threes for us and hit his FTs at the end. more valuable than you think.

RA showed a lot of potential. if he just goes out there and plays like it's his rim and his ball, he's going to be a force.

we have incredible size. one of the tallest teams in the country, i'd wager. if we take care of the ball and play with intensity, we could be very surprising this year. but there will be plenty of bonehead moments, too, i'm sure of that.

basically, it was an exhibition game, and we had two big time recruits watch us take care of business. cool.

-exhibition game, good and bad, coaches have a list of things to coach, the season should see things improve

-my biggest takeaway is that FBJT was there until the end and seemed as interested as one can be while eating and watching a bball game

-now we enter what i hope won't be the longest 10 day stretch ever without a game on B.com, but i fear it will be

-exhibition game, good and bad, coaches have a list of things to coach, the season should see things improve

-my biggest takeaway is that FBJT was there until the end and seemed as interested as one can be while eating and watching a bball game

-now we enter what i hope won't be the longest 10 day stretch ever without a game on B.com, but i fear it will be

The team has a closed scrimmage down in Memphis. Like to be fly-on-the-wall for that. These BS exhibitions really tell you nothing.

The team has a closed scrimmage down in Memphis. Like to be fly-on-the-wall for that. These BS exhibitions really tell you nothing.

This year, I've seen national writers like Jeff Goodman tweeting out results from the scrimmages (not final scores per-se but fairly descriptive). I suspect we'll hear more from this one than we ever have before.

Carleton (ON) beat Memphis twice so obviously they are not any good :rolleyes: . (FYI, Syracuse used a late run to beat Carleton this week).

FBJT was scouting his potential future teammates

One other item of interest .....................got Rammer in second half. That was nice. Noted the "Hooray for Hollywood" line. A continuing theme of Rammer's (and we all know he is our homer) was "Jim Crews and staff --- always teaching." I say this because it seems to be the "SLU Corporate line" for now .... that the youth on this team will require constant teaching to navigate and survive this year. That speaks volumes for what might be the mindset in the hallowed bowels of Chaifetz.

This is truly ALL on Jim Crews now.