SLU - Harris Stowe Game Day Thread

SluSignGuy

Fun! Fun! Fun! This off-season seemed longer than most and now we're back and have real things to talk about. We can't fault any posters on this board who post crazy things this early on, as that has always been the history of this board. We also can't fault them because they only have a tiny sample size to make observations and assessments. I guess nobody can say anything, but what's the fun in that? We're finally playing ball and I love reading all the comments both good and bad because the season is on us!

FWIW, I had a couple conversations with those in the know (ones who are close to the program, speak with the coaches, and have been at multiple practices). These guys are not MBM's like me. They said what we all already know - Ash will flat out be a player and will make all conference THIS year. From the small sample size I have, I would agree. Just an exhibition game against a weak opponent but 16 points, 78 FG%, 5 rebounds, 4 steals, 2 assists and only 1 turnover in 21 minutes. He will be a stat stuffer like Jett because he is a versatile player. Look for him to lead the team in minutes played. These guys also said that MY will be a stud and they wouldn't be surprised if he was the second best player on the team next year. He's still a freshman and like many freshman will need time. I must say, something didn't seem right about those comments about MY after watching him last night but it's way early.

McBroom should not be a concern. Will he be Kwamain, Jett, or McCall - nope. But, he will be a serviceable player for us and will surprise people and be more than capable.

Glaze still motors and gives it all. As we read in the article, Glaze has committed to his role and that will benefit this team.

I know a couple of you said Bartley looked good, but I must have not been seeing what you were seeing. I thought he really struggled and that is okay, way early and plenty of time to grow.

People were excited after the open house about Jolly and he is more than capable, but did you feel that way last night? I think he will be fine and in the rotation, but last night I expected more against the competition we played. He had 0 points, 2 rebounds, 3 fouls, 2 assists, 0 steals and 3 turnovers in 14 minutes of play. Compare that to Lancona and Agbeko and Jolly struggled. Brett will be fine, but we only know what we know now.

I know 19 turnovers is a lot, but it doesn't phase me in this type of game. We had a 30 second shot clock and we played 13 guys 10 minutes or more. There was so many shifting players and lineups, it was hard to get in a clean flow. Once guys get used to playing with each other, that will clean up.

I think Crews will play a 9-10 man rotation and it will be interesting to see who those players will be, because there are a number of players who are capable.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Crews will play a 9-10 man rotation and it will be interesting to see who those players will be, because there are a number of players who are capable.

-sitting here now i will say i would like a 10 man rotation especially if we press every now and then, this opinion may certainly change as we get data

-Grandy and any player, stay away from here as we don't have clue

Some observations

Manning - Obviously he is still feeling the effects of injury. He went back to the locker room a couple times during play.

Glaze - missed a couple bunnies and has to be stronger on the boards. His injury hurts him as well, can't go one handed for the ball like he should

Roby - The obvious standout of the freshman. He's a year long starter.

McBroom - Impressed again. Still don't know why people are down on him. 2nd best player on the team. He's tightened up his game on both ends of the floor. I'm not waiting for a 2nd half dropoff because he looks in better shape. He won't wear down as easily.

Ash - The consensus top player on the team. He's the best at pretty much everything, shooting, creating, ballhandling, rebounding, even converted our only post play of the night.

Crawford - Going to be a sub, not a starter. Needs more strength and just a bit slow on defense.

Lancona - Pick and pop, not much more right now.

Agbeko - Struggled to find his place, hurries on offense. His game needs to start on the boards and defense.

Jolly - Didn't look as good as he did in practice, serviceable though, taking charges at a high rate.

Gillmann - Hit a nice 3, has a good stroke. I guess he could redshirt but he can contribute.

Reynolds - Going way too fast right now.

Bartley - Probably at the bottom of the depth chart.

Yarbrough - shows flashes of freak ability, I don't know where his position is though.

Free throw shooting was very very bad.

We are picking up defensively a little earlier. I like that.

Lack of any post game will hurt us a lot. With Manning hurt we have nobody who can post up effectively, except Yacoubou.

When I'm bigger physically (6'3 185) than many on our roster I worry about injuries and getting beat up in conference play. Reynolds, Bartley, Gillmann, Crawford I don't remember when we have had so many guys with so slight of builds.

Once again having the recruits at the game was the biggest thing to take away from this.

Some observations

Manning - Obviously he is still feeling the effects of injury. He went back to the locker room a couple times during play.

Glaze - missed a couple bunnies and has to be stronger on the boards. His injury hurts him as well, can't go one handed for the ball like he should

Roby - The obvious standout of the freshman. He's a year long starter.

McBroom - Impressed again. Still don't know why people are down on him. 2nd best player on the team. He's tightened up his game on both ends of the floor. I'm not waiting for a 2nd half dropoff because he looks in better shape. He won't wear down as easily.

Ash - The consensus top player on the team. He's the best at pretty much everything, shooting, creating, ballhandling, rebounding, even converted our only post play of the night.

Crawford - Going to be a sub, not a starter. Needs more strength and just a bit slow on defense.

Lancona - Pick and pop, not much more right now.

Agbeko - Struggled to find his place, hurries on offense. His game needs to start on the boards and defense.

Jolly - Didn't look as good as he did in practice, serviceable though, taking charges at a high rate.

Gillmann - Hit a nice 3, has a good stroke. I guess he could redshirt but he can contribute.

Reynolds - Going way too fast right now.

Bartley - Probably at the bottom of the depth chart.

Yarbrough - shows flashes of freak ability, I don't know where his position is though.

Free throw shooting was very very bad.

We are picking up defensively a little earlier. I like that.

Lack of any post game will hurt us a lot. With Manning hurt we have nobody who can post up effectively, except Yacoubou.

When I'm bigger physically (6'3 185) than many on our roster I worry about injuries and getting beat up in conference play. Reynolds, Bartley, Gillmann, Crawford I don't remember when we have had so many guys with so slight of builds.

Once again having the recruits at the game was the biggest thing to take away from this.

Agree with many of your observations, but just a few points of disagreement... I was actually thinking we are bigger and stronger physically at several positions - AY, DR, RA and MY are pretty imposing. I have heard good things about MY, it just seemed he was pressing. He is a big 3 who can play an undersized 4 if the match-up is right. He is more perimeter oriented and more of a slasher than DE, but will be able to do some damage inside if he is guarded by somebody smaller. He will create match-up problems. I'm excited about his future.

Yes MR & MB are slight, but we don't need our guards to be bodybuilders. As for AG, I just don't expect him to contribute much if anything this year, so not worried about his slight build. I also don't think MB is at the bottom of the depth chart. Agree with your point that AM seems to be under-rated. We're going to need guys who can score. McBroom can shoot it and knows how to create his own shot. We're going to need a guy like that to help avoid some long scoring droughts.

Grandy said some people's analysis.. based off of a preseason exhibition, is "not that great". He pointed out it was an exhibition, essentially, take what you saw with a grain of salt, as has been repeated by many in this thread. He used a laughing emoji. I mean.. seriously, emojis were involved.. and now he's 'blasting' the fans and 'needs to act like adult'.. for offering analysis of your analysis. Which may or may not be right. Hilarious.

Hoppy, welcome to the board. After three posts I have a suspicion you have a personal relationship with Gillman? True?

I hope you are right about the bigs.

I have no connection to Gillman, and I thought he was one of the few bright spots on an otherwise disappointing night. Unfortunately, I didn't see much to get me excited about the freshmen. However, Gillman is definitely not as raw as advertized and looked better than Jolly, IMO.

I have no connection to Gillman, and I thought he was one of the few bright spots on an otherwise disappointing night. Unfortunately, I didn't see much to get me excited about the freshmen. However, Gillman is definitely not as raw as advertized and looked better than Jolly, IMO.

gillman's entire family may be whores, gigolos and captains of industry, but i have no connection to gillman. i am considering creating a connection to gillman, however. we'll see how it goes.

I still say too early to make any real analysis on who will do what and I always give passes to players playing through injuries like JM, RA, and GG. This team will be good. No one game determines anything, we are only getting a glimpse. The fact that limited plays were run shows staff is aware that these events are being scouted by future opponents.

Liked what I saw from the guys and not worried about those who did not perform the best. This is a work in progress.

gillman's entire family may be whores, gigolos and captains of industry, but i have no connection to gillman. i am considering creating a connection to gillman, however. we'll see how it goes.

Is there a Theresa Gillmann?

I'll post some observations later, but just for those who missed it.

Future Billiken Jayson Tatum was in attendance, #1 player overall c/o '16.

Jeremiah Tilmon was in attendance, top ten player overall c/o '17.

Not too bad for an exhibition game. Also Jake Barnett was working the recruits at halftime with his fiance.

It is not surprising that Harris Stowe brings fans we seldom see at Chaifetz; it is a relaxed and welcome atmosphere for people studying and playing just across the street; I say we should welcome Harris Stowe as a pre season exhibition game every year or at least as long as a SLU alum is head coach; speaking of which did anyone else think one of the refs looked like our beloved Claggett? We should give Harris Stowe a thousand free tickets as long as they pay for concessions-I saw one being shocked by the $9.50 Margerita and high beer prices. I wonder what he thought about the $6.00 stale pretzels we serve up.

For anyone interested, here's a link to SLU's game against Harris Stowe 6 years ago (November 5, 2008) -- the first game for guys like Kwamain Mitchell, Brian Conklin, etc. Note: no points and 2 minutes of play from guy named Kevin Lisch. Wonder if he ever picked his game up after the Harris Stowe? Also, I presume Ruben Cotto turned out to the be our best Freshman that year. And also presume that Brett Thompson played like this rest of the season. ;)

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=205261296

It would be wise for GG not to post anywhere about the fans comments on this or any board. As Mike Golic always says - fans can say what they want as long as it is not personal because they pay the bills. Players need to remember that even if they are in college. Now that being said - what GG posted was not that big of a deal. I do agree with the guy who said GG needs to do his talking on the floor.

By the way, a player doesn't become " a whipping boy" by meeting expectations. To say a player is a whipping boy when people point out their weak play is off base. If people expect that everybody will be in the "orange slices and juice box" crowd at this level then they are being naive.

ps: I discovered an Urban Chestnut booth as well -- I think on the SE side -- was that there last year? also at $8.50 a pop!

Beer prices definitely went up across the board. $8.00 for a bottle of Bud, $8.50 for a 12 oz Schlafly, $9.00 for a draft Bud. Worst part about Tuesday.

Beer prices definitely went up across the board. $8.00 for a bottle of Bud, $8.50 for a 12 oz Schlafly, $9.00 for a draft Bud. Worst part about Tuesday.

What you have to decide is how you want your life to be. If your forever was ending tomorrow, would this be how you'd want to have spent it? Listen, the truth is, nothing is guaranteed. You know that more than anybody. So don't be afraid.... be alive, bring into the games a $5 pint of bumpy face, save those dollars on alcoholic beverages and put that money away for those whom will be, after thee.