Top 144

Taj79

Many have said they were not expecting us to make this list - for some reason this site seems to want to credit one or two people who post the same thing over and over again as they only ones who say something of import. Anybody who thought we were going to be on this list was being overly optimistic. As pointed out by some - there is just to many holes/minutes to fill. We knew this was going to be a problem given how JC rode his seniors last year so hard and did not spread the opportunities around much - I understand why he did so but by doing so we find ourselves in this situation. At this point, I expect us to win early due to the schedule and hit a rough spot in the middle but then by the end of the season to be actually playing with some real focus to take us into next year. How many wins and losses who knows - but it is not going to be a pretty year.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Dwayne ---- I might have to take dubious credit for starting and continuing this thread (altho I've stayed out it lately given the fact that my original thought has played out) but again, my aim was only to stir debate. I know personally BEING on this list means nothing.

P.S. ---I posted some of the Sporting News magazine article in another thread. Again, for debate and info, not saying being wherever we are in the Sporting News is good/bad or the holy grail of projecting at all. I know that when we are playing any team, I will refer to all items for advance knowledge of the team coming in to sort of know what to look for.

It's important to keep in mind these are predictions not results. You can argue predictions till the cows come home. Results are insurmountable facts, they is what they is. At this point, I'm done with predictions and look forward to what results this season delivers.

Billiken pessimist will have his opinion validated by some outsider whose analysis consists of looking at the returning contributors and number of incoming 4 and 5 star recruits.

Billiken optimist will have his opinion validated by highlight videos of the incoming freshmen lighting up high school competition.

Billiken realist knows that even the most talented freshmen will take time to adjust to the pace and defensive intensity of D1 ball, and it's unlikely - but not impossible - that this team will develop fast enough to contend in a very deep and unforgiving A10 conference.

@Dwayne ---- I might have to take dubious credit for starting and continuing this thread (altho I've stayed out it lately given the fact that my original thought has played out) but again, my aim was only to stir debate. I know personally BEING on this list means nothing.

P.S. ---I posted some of the Sporting News magazine article in another thread. Again, for debate and info, not saying being wherever we are in the Sporting News is good/bad or the holy grail of projecting at all. I know that when we are playing any team, I will refer to all items for advance knowledge of the team coming in to sort of know what to look for.

I respect your openness for debating the questions going into this season, I just don't think that any "writer" knows how any of the A10 teams are going to perform (outside of VCU, G Dub, and Dayton). You could be completely right and prove us all fools, or you could be completely wrong... I am optimistic about us having around a 18-12 --- 20-10 record at least. I'm not being blindly optimistic, I just refuse to believe we will be as bad as some think. I've seen some of the freshmen walking by on campus, and let's just say that at least 3 of them look more like juniors/seniors physically (which still doesn't say much about their actual abilities). But if they can play the defense, size matchups will not be much of a problem this year based on just my personal "eye test" standing next to them (comparisons based on the size of the seniors last year).

I don't think any of us can wait any longer for the season to begin. Only then will all of the answers to our speculations fall into place.

URI just came in at 57. It's looking like Taj and slu72 are going to be right about us not even being listed by this website as one of the top 144.

bauman, i'ma let you finish, but jimbofive had one of the best prediction predictions OF ALL TIME.

I don't think we're going to make the top 144. But they can suck my doggie's dick. I don't need my team pre-validated.

Billiken pessimist will have his opinion validated by some outsider whose analysis consists of looking at the returning contributors and number of incoming 4 and 5 star recruits.

Billiken optimist will have his opinion validated by highlight videos of the incoming freshmen lighting up high school competition.

Billiken realist knows that even the most talented freshmen will take time to adjust to the pace and defensive intensity of D1 ball, and it's unlikely - but not impossible - that this team will develop fast enough to contend in a very deep and unforgiving A10 conference.

+1

For the record, I think the projections for Dayton, Umass and Richmond are all off as well. I believe Dayton got hot at the right time last March. They then met suspect teams in Syracuse and Ohio State. But they made it work. Let's look back one year at La Salle, who went to the Sweet Sixteen and got the love bounce the following preseason. And that didn't work out did it? Umass lost a lot in my opinion, namely the poitn guard Williams. We shall see. I don't see Cady Lalanne as an all-conference pick either. And Richmond, while its not adjusting to losing seniors (they went down and out early last year) will not be overlooked and taken for granted this year.

I happen to believe the league's best team is VCU -- head and shoulders above everyone else. Then, I'll go with George Washington and four returning good juniors in Larsen, Savage, Garino and McDonald. And finally I like the look of Danny Hurley's Rhode Island team, especially if Jordan Hare returns with fire. Hare, Birutas, Martin and Mathews plus a top recruit in Jared Terrell make Rhodey pretty impressive on paper.

Questions.

What is this website and why does anyone even care what predictions they have? Does it matter if anyone thinks we deserve to be in the top 144? Everyone on this board knows more about SLU basketball than whatever wacko is writing those predictions. From what I've read on this thread, only about 2-3 posters actually agree with him, everyone else begs to differ.

Fordham and Rhode Island getting more pre season respect? A joke.

We will see how the season plays out; when all is said and done and the season is over, we will all see who was right. Until then, no one knows how any of these teams are going to do (e.g. Kentucky might clinch a spot in the NIT again, but everyone will have them in the top 5 as usual).

+1000

Closing the loop ...... Geedubya at #63, Rhode Island at #57 and Umass in at #42. Meaning with three left it's VCU, Dayton and Richmond or us.

Richmond will be over-rated, but they're going to be the next one. Chris Mooney is a good coach, but I don't see where all the love for the Spiders is coming from.

@Jett: I agree but I guess it's the four or five returning guys that give them cred: Anthony, Davis, Jones, Nelson-Ododa and Allen. Some teams can run on five upperclassmen .... one recent momeory comes to mind.

I am not buying it however. That maybe readjusted come conference play.

@Jett: I agree but I guess it's the four or five returning guys that give them cred: Anthony, Davis, Jones, Nelson-Ododa and Allen. Some teams can run on five upperclassmen .... one recent momeory comes to mind.

I am not buying it however. That maybe readjusted come conference play.

Jones showed flashes, but I'm not buying Anthony as anything more than a volume shooter. The five guys you mentioned would get blown off the court by the other team you're mentioning. Wait, they did.

Richmond will be good.

I have to agree with Brian on this. There have been comments here saying their guards are "over-rated" (like Anthony). That may be true, I really do not know, but Anthony is good. The issue that is not mentioned though that they are very deep with stretchy forwards who can shoot and rebound. Remember that the Princeton Offense is about distributing the ball and looking for the right matchup--with 3 capable forwards that can be tough to defend. Allen was very streaky last year but can score. I remember Nelson-Ododa looked good against SLU. And they have 3 more (Cline, Taylor, Davis) that I do not remember so much but are supposed to be good. FYI, Cline's mom is Nancy Lieberman so that cannot hurt.

I have to agree with Brian on this. There have been comments here saying their guards are "over-rated" (like Anthony). That may be true, I really do not know, but Anthony is good. The issue that is not mentioned though that they are very deep with stretchy forwards who can shoot and rebound. Remember that the Princeton Offense is about distributing the ball and looking for the right matchup--with 3 capable forwards that can be tough to defend. Allen was very streaky last year but can score. I remember Nelson-Ododa looked good against SLU. And they have 3 more (Cline, Taylor, Davis) that I do not remember so much but are supposed to be good. FYI, Cline's mom is Nancy Lieberman so that cannot hurt.

I remember watching the game against them last season and thinking that the Spiders were a year away from being really good. I think I even posted it in the game day thread. It was a roster really loaded with the right talent for that system. The problem was it was a roster loaded with underclassmen in that system. It takes some time in the Princeton system to play it properly.

One thing I will give credit to UR is that they have a very good coach. I like what Mooney does, and think he's a solid gamesman on the sideline. I think Richmond could be decent to good...but it will take a step up from where they were.

The "joke" comment was more in reference to the entire list.