ESPN article on Vedad Ibisevic

How badly does the US team need him? Hopefully California Klinsi changes the USMNT culture and we capitolize and get guys like Vedad to play for the US in the future. He brought over a German so far but I'm not real enthused the dude is only 18 and playing on the reserve squad.

How badly does the US team need him? Hopefully California Klinsi changes the USMNT culture and we capitolize and get guys like Vedad to play for the US in the future. He brought over a German so far but I'm not real enthused the dude is only 18 and playing on the reserve squad.

o

I thought if you played for a country's senior side, you couldn't play for another?

o

I thought if you played for a country's senior side, you couldn't play for another?

Youth players (U-21) and players who have not been cap-tied can file one-time nationality switch.

Anyways, good read and love the picture at the top!

So far Klinsmann has successfully recruited at least 4 other guys on this roster (plus Julian Green) who were dual-nationals. In addition, Tab Ramos has done a good job of keeping Mexican-American dual-nationals on our side at the youth levels.

As far as Green is concerned, yes he has a lot to prove, but Germany actively recruited him as well and his coaches at Bayern (one of the biggest clubs in the world) are excited about his potential. It can't hurt to have him as a prospect. The next teenager we might be able to recruit is Gedion Zelalem, a tri-national who is in Arsenal's youth system.

Now the USSF and MLS need to get better at developing talent here in the US so that we don't have to rely on the whims of adolescents to ensure future success. I do think that we are headed in the right direction as a "footballing" nation.

In 2003, I was living in Florida and drove up to Furman to watch the Bills play in a tournament. In the championship game Vedad found Will John in the box who scored in overtime to beat Clint Dempsey's Furman 1-0. It was the best, most intense regular season soccer match I've ever seen. Still have that program. Wonder if its worth something with 2 world cup stars 11 years later? Probably not.

So far Klinsmann has successfully recruited at least 4 other guys on this roster (plus Julian Green) who were dual-nationals. In addition, Tab Ramos has done a good job of keeping Mexican-American dual-nationals on our side at the youth levels.

As far as Green is concerned, yes he has a lot to prove, but Germany actively recruited him as well and his coaches at Bayern (one of the biggest clubs in the world) are excited about his potential. It can't hurt to have him as a prospect. The next teenager we might be able to recruit is Gedion Zelalem, a tri-national who is in Arsenal's youth system.

Now the USSF and MLS need to get better at developing talent here in the US so that we don't have to rely on the whims of adolescents to ensure future success. I do think that we are headed in the right direction as a "footballing" nation.

+1, gotta get Gedion, that would be awesome.

+1, gotta get Gedion, that would be awesome.

There were rumors that he was stateside with his father sorting out their citizenship situation last week. He is currently not a US citizen, so if he suits up at the youth level for either Germany or Ethiopia before becoming one, he wouldn't be eligible for us even with FIFA's one time switch policy. Hopefully he's patient!

Another guy I hope is patient is Diego Fagundez - a NE Revs teen who is an Uruguayan, but could become a citizen down the road.

There were rumors that he was stateside with his father sorting out their citizenship situation last week. He is currently not a US citizen, so if he suits up at the youth level for either Germany or Ethiopia before becoming one, he wouldn't be eligible for us even with FIFA's one time switch policy. Hopefully he's patient!

Another guy I hope is patient is Diego Fagundez - a NE Revs teen who is an Uruguayan, but could become a citizen down the road.

As I understand it, Fagundez is approximately 4-5 years from full citizenship (just got his green card I believe), but completely agree with you on him. Also, Gedion turned down a call up to the German U-17 (or U-21) side at the last second recently. It may mean nothing, but combined with the U.S. citizenship rumor, it could mean something. It's 50/50.

As I understand it, Fagundez is approximately 4-5 years from full citizenship (just got his green card I believe), but completely agree with you on him. Also, Gedion turned down a call up to the German U-17 (or U-21) side at the last second recently. It may mean nothing, but combined with the U.S. citizenship rumor, it could mean something. It's 50/50.

I think you are correct regarding Fagundez. Would he be eligible for youth national teams with a green card?

And fingers crossed on Zelalem....

Our next cycle is actually looking better than expected. Losing (maybe) Howard, Dempsey, Beasley, and Donovan, but we'll have an older and improved back line, along with improved (and hopefully playing at higher levels than any American ever) Johansson, Boyd, Agudelo, and Green. And maybe Zelalem. The future looks bright.

I saw the same rumors as well, hopefully it works out. The last citizenship process I had intimate knowledge of took about 3 years, even though the girl's other 4 family member's were already naturalized citizens and she had spent basically her entire childhood in the US on a green card. Hopefully Zelalem's process goes smoother.

How long do we have California Klinsi? Also I think it's awesome we have Berti Vogts (as an assistant) too! That's 2 German legends on the sideline.

Anyway they should speed up the Citizenship process like they did for the hot Ice Dancer from Canada.

How long do we have California Klinsi? Also I think it's awesome we have Berti Vogts (as an assistant) too! That's 2 German legends on the sideline.

Anyway they should speed up the Citizenship process like they did for the hot Ice Dancer from Canada.

He is under contract through the next World Cup.