Better Fit for SLU: BE or AAC?

I'm not saying this would happen, but what if SLU and Dayton got invitations to join the AAC as non-football members. Would that be a better conference for us than the BE?

It was clear that he BE wasn't anything special this year. The big boys in the AAC seem better positioned and respected than the top teams in the BE right now. We could satisfy our need for closer regional rivals with Memphis, Louisville, and Cincinnati. It'd be great to reestablish some of those rivalries. Can anyone argue that we would have stronger rivalries with Marquette, DePaul, Butler and Xavier than we would with Memphis, Louisville and Cincinnati. On top of that, add games with Uconn to the mix.

You could argue that we could make a slightly positive impact on recruiting by having conference road games in Florida (USF & UCF) and Texas (Houston & SMU) simply by allowing our coaches to be down in those areas a few times a year. Also, wouldn't there be some recruits that would be happier knowing that not all of their conference games will be played in the cold-ass northeast every January, February and March.

Again, I'm not saying its likely or that I would be in favor of it, but what does everyone think?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Louisville is joining the ACC. BE or Bust.

I hadn't heard that, but if true, BE without a doubt. The teams in the Big East are historically successful, and history repeats itself, so I think the BE would be the better option for the sustained success of our program.

I hadn't heard that, but if true, BE without a doubt. The teams in the Big East are historically successful, and history repeats itself, so I think the BE would be the better option for the sustained success of our program.

It is true. KEEP UP ABAS

I'm not saying this would happen, but what if SLU and Dayton got invitations to join the AAC as non-football members. Would that be a better conference for us than the BE?

It was clear that he BE wasn't anything special this year. The big boys in the AAC seem better positioned and respected than the top teams in the BE right now. We could satisfy our need for closer regional rivals with Memphis, Louisville, and Cincinnati. It'd be great to reestablish some of those rivalries. Can anyone argue that we would have stronger rivalries with Marquette, DePaul, Butler and Xavier than we would with Memphis, Louisville and Cincinnati. On top of that, add games with Uconn to the mix.

You could argue that we could make a slightly positive impact on recruiting by having conference road games in Florida (USF & UCF) and Texas (Houston & SMU) simply by allowing our coaches to be down in those areas a few times a year. Also, wouldn't there be some recruits that would be happier knowing that not all of their conference games will be played in the cold-ass northeast every January, February and March.

Again, I'm not saying its likely or that I would be in favor of it, but what does everyone think?

In terms of common interests and similarity of mission the NBE schools are a perfect match for SLU. The AAC has no schools like us and we would be a terrible fit.

In terms of common interests and similarity of mission the NBE schools are a perfect match for SLU. The AAC has no schools like us and we would be a terrible fit.

I agree completely. I guess I'm still pissed off that we're not already in the BE.

Is that any better than X, Marquette, Creighton, and Butler? I don't think so.

I don't disagree, but CIncinnati and Memphis will be better than all four of the teams you just mentioned for the foreseeable future. Creighton will suffer a huge drop off next season and the other three aren't showing many signs of improvement. You should have left Butler off the list in the same way you left off DePaul, because that program has dropped into the same level of irrelevenancy.

We'd never get an invite to the AAC. Given their TV deal and recent breakup with the Big East, I feel pretty confident in saying that a football program is absolutely 100% necessary to receive an invite.

With that said, though, I think the Big East is still a better fit. The schools are far more similar to SLU (mid-sized urban private/mostly religious schools with a basketball focus) than AAC schools, and I think we could get a good thing going with Marquette, Creighton, Butler, and Xavier. And even if Aresco got drunk and extended an invite to us, I'm not sure I'd be thrilled to join another awkward marriage between basketball-only and football schools.

I don't disagree, but CIncinnati and Memphis will be better than all four of the teams you just mentioned for the foreseeable future. Creighton will suffer a huge drop off next season and the other three aren't showing many signs of improvement. You should have left Butler off the list in the same way you left off DePaul, because that program has dropped into the same level of irrelevenancy.

Butler is bad. Don't get me wrong. However, they have a LONG way to go before they're even in the same galaxy as DePaul when it comes to being a bad program.

Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc., would be a better fit regionally, but not in terms of the type of programs/schools. Marquette, DePaul, Xavier, Butler, et al. are smaller private schools in urban areas and similar to SLU in more than just geography.

BE. No debate. Similar schools. Similar mission statements. Similar blood lines. No football. The AAC has crap football. Temple? puh-lease. Uconn? Not-ready-for-prime-time player. Lousiville? Headed to the ACC (which by the way is where Uconn wants to be). SMU? Death penalty pony. Cincinnati? Probably the closest to legit but they are rumored to be looking towards the Big Ten or even Big Twelve. Rutgers? Soth Florida? Houston? Nope to all. Football will be the death of them all yet.

Nothign will ever be perfect,but the new BE is about as good as we'll get. Plus, if you think Memphis and Cincy are/were ouir rivals, get real.

let's make a big double splash at what really is a crossroads for the university, with the switch at the top, unprecedented success in our biggest athletic team; Switch to AAC, and start division 1 football. get naming rights to the soon to be empty dome, play our games there increasing downtown presence already announced in a big way with law school move. Imagine the parade from The Alumni Club down Broadway to The Billiken Dome every other Saturday in the fall. . Drag Holtz out of the ESPN morgue to run it like we did Coach.

BE. No debate. Similar schools. Similar mission statements. Similar blood lines. No football. The AAC has crap football. Temple? puh-lease. Uconn? Not-ready-for-prime-time player. Lousiville? Headed to the ACC (which by the way is where Uconn wants to be). SMU? Death penalty pony. Cincinnati? Probably the closest to legit but they are rumored to be looking towards the Big Ten or even Big Twelve. Rutgers? Soth Florida? Houston? Nope to all. Football will be the death of them all yet.

Nothign will ever be perfect,but the new BE is about as good as we'll get. Plus, if you think Memphis and Cincy are/were ouir rivals, get real.

Rutgers is headed to the BIG 10, right?

I finally need to ask this stupid question, why would you evan want to leave the A10?

By winning the A 10 or at least the Conference you get the automatic bid to the NCAA,

You get to pick a tough OOC schedule,

You get top recruits wanting to attend,

I you guys have it easier than you think,,, don't look a gifted horse in the mouth!!!

I finally need to ask this stupid question, why would you evan want to leave the A10?

By winning the A 10 or at least the Conference you get the automatic bid to the NCAA,

You get to pick a tough OOC schedule,

You get top recruits wanting to attend,

I you guys have it easier than you think,,, don't look a gifted horse in the mouth!!!

I have no idea where to go with this. Maybe if you look at the makeup of both leagues you'll see why.

SLU won the last 2 A-10 RS titles...and most fans will tell you they'd rather be in the Big East.

If the Rams leave St. Louis, SLU should develop a football team in response. I'm not saying they should take the Rams place at the Edward Jones Dome, but the city can support a 20,000+ fan base for the only local football team. This would be the only appropriate reason to join the AAC.

This change would help SLU seperate from the other midsize midwestern Jesuit schools Marquette/Dayton/Xavier/Creighton.

I've always thought the Armory building next to SLU along 64/40 would be an epic building to start with for the contraction of a midsize stadium. Perhaps share the stadium with an MLS team. I'd rather see MLS team and SLU football than the Rams in town.

Otherwise, with the Rams in town, there is no economic way to make SLU have a football team and it is the Big East or A10.

I have long hoped that the Rams leaving would finally provide the impetus to get another NBA team in St. Louis. But if that happens, the oft-griped about trouble getting media/public attention for SLU basketball will get exponentially worse.

If the Rams leave St. Louis, SLU should develop a football team in response. I'm not saying they should take the Rams place at the Edward Jones Dome, but the city can support a 20,000+ fan base for the only local football team. This would be the only appropriate reason to join the AAC.

This change would help SLU seperate from the other midsize midwestern Jesuit schools Marquette/Dayton/Xavier/Creighton.

I've always thought the Armory building next to SLU along 64/40 would be an epic building to start with for the contraction of a midsize stadium. Perhaps share the stadium with an MLS team. I'd rather see MLS team and SLU football than the Rams in town.

Otherwise, with the Rams in town, there is no economic way to make SLU have a football team and it is the Big East or A10.

Stop