Worst 3 point shooting in NCAA Tourney history

bauman

The studio crew, while saying how bad the Syracuse 3 pt shooting was also mentioned that the Bills 0 for 15 set a new NCAA Tournament record. Hello MC. Hello TL. Hello JC!!!!!!

Also, while I'm in a pissy mood, how can our go to guy shoot 4 for 10 and 3 for nine at the free throw line his last two games. If you can't shoot from the outside, but can take it to the hoop with the best of them, how the hell can you not shoot FTs any better than that? A serious question---is there something wrong with his eyes which affected his ability to shoot anything outside 8-10 feet? I notice every time he has gone to the line recently he keeps squinting his eyes.

It is a little troubling that kids seem to become worse outside shooters the longer they are in the program. Not sure what the reasons are. Jett, Loe and McCall had by far their worst seasons from the three. Also, Barnett regressed from last season. Would read nothing into it if it was just one guy, but four seniors having big declines is a sign that something is being done wrong.

It is a little troubling that kids seem to become worse outside shooters the longer they are in the program. Not sure what the reasons are. Jett, Loe and McCall had by far their worst seasons from the three. Also, Barnett regressed from last season. Would read nothing into it if it was just one guy, but four seniors having big declines is a sign that something is being done wrong.

I wonder if our conditioning program needs to be better. If you want to play for SLU you have to expend a ton energy on the defensive end. Maybe the legs just aren't there on the shots?

I wonder if our conditioning program needs to be better. If you want to play for SLU you have to expend a ton energy on the defensive end. Maybe the legs just aren't there on the shots?

You think it would have impacted them last year too. Mitchell and Ellis regressed as shooters during their time at SLU, too.

Oh, gimme a break. We've sucked from beyond the arc all year and still won a bunch of games. Today, I agree 0- 15 from beyond the arc killed us. Hit just 4 of them different ball game. But we didn't. The only argument I have is put MC in for JB, he seems to have a better stroke and we needed it today. Still can't figure out why he was sent to purgatory the last 6 games.

You think it would have impacted them last year too. Mitchell and Ellis regressed as shooters during their time at SLU, too.

True.

Maybe we just don't do anything like that in practice. I don't know what goes on in a college basketball practice but I would bet that coaches don't want to spend time on things like shooting. I assume that's what the guys are supposed to do on their own, but I guess you can't really mimic in game situations when you practice on your own. I have no idea.

From what I understand we have a great conditioning program. But there is a pattern here - players don't see gains in 3pt% during their careers here. In fact, more guys seem to regress. I'll look up some real numbers later.

If there is one area our team next year will be superior to this year's squad in it will likely be shooting. Crawford, McBroom and Lancona were our three best shooters from deep (small sample size alert for the two frosh though). Ash is supposedly as good as these guys and shot ~40% from three while at Nova. Obviously shooting is just one part of the game, but hey, it's something to look forward to.

The studio crew, while saying how bad the Syracuse 3 pt shooting was also mentioned that the Bills 0 for 15 set a new NCAA Tournament record. Hello MC. Hello TL. Hello JC!!!!!!

Also, while I'm in a pissy mood, how can our go to guy shoot 4 for 10 and 3 for nine at the free throw line his last two games. If you can't shoot from the outside, but can take it to the hoop with the best of them, how the hell can you not shoot FTs any better than that? A serious question---is there something wrong with his eyes which affected his ability to shoot anything outside 8-10 feet? I notice every time he has gone to the line recently he keeps squinting his eyes.

Give me a freaking break. JJ has been a 60% ft shooter his entire career. It is what he is. He's still a fantastic player.

Here are the 3pt stats.............

Team

2011....32.63%

2012....35.9%

2013....34.04%

2013....32.42%

Following the Freshman class of 2011

2011...Fr.....33.1%

2012...So....34.4%

2013....Jr.....34.7%

2014.....Sr....31.1%

2014 by month

Nov13......31.3%

Dec13......29.7%

Jan14.......37.3%

Feb14.......31.4%

Mar14.......32.1%

Player....................2012-13.............2013-14

McCall.....................40.2%.................33.6%

Loe...........................31.5%.................30.9%

Barnett......................33.3%.................32.2%

Jett............................33.3%..................20%

Evans.......................26.3%...................29.4%

Note ....Evans and Jett take very few shots so there numbers are not significant

Here are the 3pt stats.............

Team

2011....32.63%

2012....35.9%

2013....34.04%

2013....32.42%

Following the Freshman class of 2011

2011...Fr.....33.1%

2012...So....34.4%

2013....Jr.....34.7%

2014.....Sr....31.1%

2014 by month

Nov13......31.3%

Dec13......29.7%

Jan14.......37.3%

Feb14.......31.4%

Mar14.......32.1%

Player....................2012-13.............2013-14

McCall.....................40.2%.................33.6%

Loe...........................31.5%.................30.9%

Barnett......................33.3%.................32.2%

Jett............................33.3%..................20%

Evans.......................26.3%...................29.4%

Note ....Evans and Jett take very few shots so there numbers are not significant

So basically McCall had a bad year shooting the ball and nothing else is statistically significant?

Alright here are some real numbers for our shooters over the past few years from Fr->Sr year (attempts in parentheses)...

Rob Loe: 33.7 (95); 35.1 (97); 31.5 (92); 30.6 (124)

Mike McCall: 36.6 (112); 34.8 (89); 40.2 (117); 32.1 (131)

Jake Barnett: 28.6 (14); 33.3 (72); 31.2 (125)

Kwamain Mitchell: 35.3 (119); 36.0 (178); 36.5 (178); 31.5 (92)

Cody Ellis: 30.0 (130); 28.9 (83); 38.1 (181); 33.3 (186)

Kyle Cassity: 23.1 (39); 33.1 (124); 32.8 (128); 32.8 (64)

I think it safe to say guys don't really improve, although there might not be any real regression either. Just lots of noise. Everyone had at least one year better than their first year on campus, but none of them had their best percentage as a senior.

Edit: Corrected Jake's numbers (got his FG% mixed up with his 3pt%)

Oh, gimme a break. We've sucked from beyond the arc all year and still won a bunch of games. Today, I agree 0- 15 from beyond the arc killed us. Hit just 4 of them different ball game. But we didn't. The only argument I have is put MC in for JB, he seems to have a better stroke and we needed it today. Still can't figure out why he was sent to purgatory the last 6 games.

That is the one question I would ask Coach Crews. Hope to see lots of Mike Crawford starting. The other thing is how McBroom 3 point shooting went completely in the tank. What happened to him.

McCall's numbers are skewed from last year.

He started off the season 17-32 and was through games 5-11 one of the best 3 point shooters in the country. He then regressed to his career mean. He made only 14 of his next 51 threes. He had a couple hot games and got his average up to stay above 40% but he was not a consistent 40% shooter.

First 11 games 21-40

Rest of season 24-79

The 24-79 is more indicative of his career average.

I don't think this is any crisis of our program. Crews or Majerus didn't make these guys into worse shooters. They weren't that great to begin with. Honestly we get more open looks than most teams in the country. I watch a ton of college ball, we rarely take contested shots. If we had a Stauskas on our team he'd shoot 60% with all the open looks he gets. We just don't have great shooters. We have average ones. Sadly this group of seniors was one great shooter from being a great team to a really great team. Make Barnett a plus 40% shooter and we are still playing.

Barnett has decent form but he can't even make free throws.

McCall & Mitchell are line drive shooters, not many good ones like that,

Cassity had similar problems like Barnett, mostly in his head.

Ellis and Loe, yeah they could get their shots off at any time but were they great shooters? No. They missed more wide open 3s between them than anybody in college basketball.

Hopefully a great shooter or two watches our system and sees all the open looks we generate and says i want to play for this team where I could score 2000 points just off the catch and shoot. Majerus just missed on a couple really good shooters, Crews maybe has one in this class or the next. Our program just wasn't able to attract that one guy who could play at the A10 level athletically and fill it up for us at the same time.

McCall's numbers are skewed from last year.

He started off the season 17-32 and was through games 5-11 one of the best 3 point shooters in the country. He then regressed to his career mean. He made only 14 of his next 51 threes. He had a couple hot games and got his average up to stay above 40% but he was not a consistent 40% shooter.

First 11 games 21-40

Rest of season 24-79

The 24-79 is more indicative of his career average.

I don't think this is any crisis of our program. Crews or Majerus didn't make these guys into worse shooters. They weren't that great to begin with. Honestly we get more open looks than most teams in the country. I watch a ton of college ball, we rarely take contested shots. If we had a Stauskas on our team he'd shoot 60% with all the open looks he gets. We just don't have great shooters. We have average ones. Sadly this group of seniors was one great shooter from being a great team to a really great team. Make Barnett a plus 40% shooter and we are still playing.

Barnett has decent form but he can't even make free throws.

McCall & Mitchell are line drive shooters, not many good ones like that,

Cassity had similar problems like Barnett, mostly in his head.

Ellis and Loe, yeah they could get their shots off at any time but were they great shooters? No. They missed more wide open 3s between them than anybody in college basketball.

Hopefully a great shooter or two watches our system and sees all the open looks we generate and says i want to play for this team where I could score 2000 points just off the catch and shoot. Majerus just missed on a couple really good shooters, Crews maybe has one in this class or the next. Our program just wasn't able to attract that one guy who could play at the A10 level athletically and fill it up for us at the same time.

Micah Mason, was a transfer from Drake, ended up, all places, Duquesne. Probably the bottom of the barrel in the A10. First time I saw him when we were out Pittsburgh, I said he is the perfect fit for us.

He shoots a phenomenal .560 beyond the arc.

It should be noted McBroom, who helped carry us during the winning streak with his 3 pt shooting, slowed down considerable when the schedule hit the month March.

In regards to McBroom -- his performance seemed to fall off a cliff right when he got a girlfriend. He used to tweet about grinding at practice, now he tweets pictures of his gf brushing his hair and stuff. So there's a (bad) theory.

Micah Mason, was a transfer from Drake, ended up, all places, Duquesne. Probably the bottom of the barrel in the A10. First time I saw him when we were out Pittsburgh, I said he is the perfect fit for us.

He shoots a phenomenal .560 beyond the arc.

It should be noted McBroom, who helped carry us during the winning streak with his 3 pt shooting, slowed down considerable when the schedule hit the month March.

It seemed that McBroom stopped shooting the three (or at all for that matter) in the past 6-7 games. Again, as with the MC questions, why? (I don't buy the girlfriend thing.)

Austin McBroom seemed to have lost his confidence in the last 6 games or so. He was yanked by Crews for launching 3 pointers too early in the 35 second clock and many were off balance, he wasn't set. He quit shooting as the season progressed into the playoffs. I think he needs to play a lot of summer ball to get his head straightened out. I hope the freshman can take over the point guard. I don't see McBroom as a leader, sorry,although he is our best free throw shooter. .

Austin McBroom seemed to have lost his confidence in the last 6 games or so. He was yanked by Crews for launching 3 pointers too early in the 35 second clock and many were off balance, he wasn't set. He quit shooting as the season progressed into the playoffs. I think he needs to play a lot of summer ball to get his head straightened out. I hope the freshman can take over the point guard. I don't see McBroom as a leader, sorry,although he is our best free throw shooter. .

I like AM but he is small, 5'9". Defensive liability. He has trouble with big muscular guards just blowing by him which he usually has to foul. When he on with the 3, kind makes up for it. With big guards coming in like Davell and AY at 6'4", and Miles at 6'2" at the point, Austin better work on 3 point sniping till his arms fall off. That will be the way for him to get minutes.

I don't know. McBroom has quickness that is something you are born with. You cannot teach it and, unlike endurance or strength, you cannot train it. Plus, with a little more confidence, I think he can be a very good three point shooter. I think between Ash, Crawford and Austin, we have three guards with great potential and a lot of ability. The incoming freshmen will just add to that and, from the reports and videos, Reynolds may be the first freshman on the floor in early games. Not a bad, albeit inexperienced, guard rotation.