So, we're getting a new President tomorrow

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have to admit, I was hoping for someone with a little bit more of a background and resume (especially since the dude is not a Jesuit). Admittedly, I dont know anything about this guy, but this feels like a bit of a let down - my goal for the University is a Top 50 academic ranking and supported basketball program, lets see how he does with that.

Me too. By definition, we now have a precarious "top 50" BB program, its up to him to solidify that position. He can delegate much of that to May/Crews (or whomever) and fund them sufficiently. (Yes, he needs to build relationships with NBE leaders, but he has to do that anyway, with many institutions).

OTOH, our "top 100" academic position has been heading south, and reversing that has to be his top priority. He needs to improve faculty morale at SLU, attract new top quality faculty, and support them with a functional and coherent administration. Over time, that will improve our reputation among our academic competitors, which is a key to improving our ranking. His resume indicates good relationships with religious and lay faculty at other institutions, and a reasonable career path (Chief Academic Officer at National UD, to CEO at Regional LeMoyne, now CEO at better National SLU).

I pray that he succeeds. Here's the news from Syracuse (with photo).

Pretty classy, sending this out today. Many on faculty have met him and are highly impressed. ps: Pestello is Italian American . . . .
Dear Students, Faculty and Staff,
I am writing to thank you for your warm embrace of me and my family during our visit last week. We were touched by your kindness and moved by your devotion to Saint Louis University. Fran, Vitina, Freddie and I are proud to be the newest members of the SLU family.
While it has been only a few days since I was introduced as your next president, I already have a pretty good idea of what it means to be a Billiken.
First, it means that you are passionate. During my brief visit in St. Louis, everyone I met expressed a genuine love of this institution. You told me why SLU matters to you — and why it will matter to me.
You dream big. To a person, you expressed your pride in SLU and hopes for its future. You have high expectations, and so do I. Working together, we will achieve our aspirations.
Serving others is a priority for you. When I think about the range and volume of your service, of your distinctive programs such as Casa de Salud and Campus Kitchen, and of your daily outreach, I am more than impressed; I am inspired.
SLU is mission driven. From the beginning of the search process through my last meeting on Sunday, our Catholic, Jesuit mission has been at the heart of our conversations. The Jesuit way of proceeding will guide our discussions and decisions.
Finally, you are as unique as SLU’s beloved mascot. This is an exceptional place full of exceptional people with various backgrounds, experiences and aspirations. Such rich diversity translates into a vast pool of talent ready to be tapped as we chart our collective future. This bodes well as we plan SLU’s next chapter.
As I said during my introduction Friday morning, I am only one person entering this large and vibrant community. I need your assistance and support as I assume my new role. I ask that you continue to do the many things that make SLU so special and so successful. And, finally, I ask for your prayers — for me, for my family and for this community — as we join together.
Last week, I stated that I felt honored and humbled to lead an institution of such prominence. After meeting you I am even more thrilled to be joining SLU.
Thank you for a wonderful Billiken welcome.

Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D.

cleardot.gif

^

Love it. I hope I get to meet him someday.

On a side note, it was pretty funny that 05 and I got tons of face time with the interim president in Orlando. I couldn't imagine Biondi ever stopping to chat like that.

He was talking about trying to rebrand and improve merchandising once he was done as president

He was talking about trying to rebrand and improve merchandising once he was done as president

And as I recall, he specifically mentioned that Billiken gear should come in a single, consistent shade of blue, and not in colors like pink and green. I loved it.

And as I recall, he specifically mentioned that Billiken gear should come in a single, consistent shade of blue, and not in colors like pink and green. I loved it.

Awesome. This is news I have been hoping to hear for a long time.

I loved it that New Era/Lids finally started selling a variety of Billikens caps over the past year or so, but nearly all of them were in totally random colors (black and white, black and neon yellow, neon cerulean and black, a dark Mizzou-esque anthracite gray, etc.),

More important, I would make the Billiken a fierce looking mascot, ready to fight.

The original old one looked like a Buddha, the one they instituted 15 years ago (whenever) looks like The goddam Grinch Who Stole Christmas.

I like the winky face. I wouldn't mess with the primary logo, but I would like to see some of the retro ones on more merchandise again, not just the original seated one (although that one is definitely the most "accurate" in terms of a true billiken). There's also the one with the crown, the basketball-spinning one, etc.

Some mascots are just not supposed to be "fierce." Webster U redesigned the Gorlok to be more "fierce" for its athletic logos a few years ago, and the result was downright ridiculous. I'm okay with the Billiken being a vaguely menacing, creepy harbinger of good luck rather than trying to make it look like an imp on steroids or something.

Awesome. This is news I have been hoping to hear for a long time.

I loved it that New Era/Lids finally started selling a variety of Billikens caps over the past year or so, but nearly all of them were in totally random colors (black and white, black and neon yellow, neon cerulean and black, a dark Mizzou-esque anthracite gray, etc.),

That's lids' thing. Do that to every team. I don't see those type of hats anywhere else