12th annual DJCF all-star basketball game (report)

Folks, if you thought last year's game was lacking in terms of the talent -- particularly for the national squad -- then you'd really be appalled at tonight's game. The most prestigious school represented on the national squad was Missouri. The other schools represented were Montgomery College (!), Kansas State, Manhattan, Creighton, and Texas A&M (and he wasn't there) -- oh, and of course, the notorious University of undecided. Demetrious Johnson used to get more star-caliber players.

Even worse than the national squad was the lack of talent on the local squad. As we all know, the bulk of the talent in the deep and talented class of 2004 was from the Illinois side, but the St. Louis squad was devoid of Metro East players. I came to find out from Earl Austin Jr. after the game that those players (like Xavier Price, JB Jones, et al) did not participate in the DJCF because the Illinois Hall of Fame game was this same night. Furthermore, Terry Evans was unable to be there. (Tommie Liddell could not participate in the game because he's "still in high school," according to Earl. But he'll play in the game next year, Earl told me.)

The national squad won 138-118, and I found the evening entertaining despite the relative lack of talent. C.J. Anderson, a 6-6 guard from Laurinburg, NC, en route to Manhattan, was awarded the MVP. (I don't think he's actually 6-6.) He scored quite a bit, but he didn't dominate or impress with spectacular plays.

Evaluation of selected players:

Glen Dandridge (6-6 guard from Mt. Zion Christian Academy en route to Missouri): A good scorer. Tall and fluid -- kind of sneaky. He's a good athlete who can finish at the basket, but his primary weapon is the long-range jumper. Once he crosses half court, you better be guarding him! He'll lauch from 25 feet with no qualms and hit it.

Marshall Brown (6-6 small forward from Austin, Texas en route to Missouri): He's a high-flying athletic slasher. He's a terrific finisher. Please don't let him drive into the lane, lest you don't mind being dunked on. Probably his best play was finishing an alley-oop thrown by Dandridge. Brown and Dandridge already have a nice on-court rapport going. I look forward to seeing them play together for the next four years (or however long they stay at Missouri, albeit I don't think anyone there tonight is a good bet for early entry).

Arturo Dubois (6-7 power forward from New York en route to Manhattan -- i.e., he's staying home): He's an imposing big man who knows what to do when he gets the ball. SLU needs a player like him. I was impressed with him.

Dwayne Polk (5-9 guard from Vashon en route to SLU): He did his normal thing here: went where he wanted with the ball, penetrated, fed the post, hit three point shots. He didn't have his A game, but still scored 29 points. Dwayne is used to having his way against opposing guards, but occasionally he'll run up against some who are quick enough to stymie him momentarily. He got his pocket picked on an occasion or two tonight; he can't take things for granted at the next level. It's too bad Mizzou recruit Jason Horton wasn't able to play, as it would have been interesting and entertaining to watch Horton and Polk go head-to-head. Perhaps Missouri and SLU will play each other during the next four years so that we can see that matchup. Polk was a pest on defense, repeatedly getting tip-aways and steals from unsuspecting forwards, but his best moment was completing a one-handed alley-oop dunk. Sheesh! He's only about 5'6", but he can dunk. I'm envious!

Kalen Grimes (6-8 forward from Hazelwood Central en route to Mizzou): I look forward to seeing what he can do with good coaching. He's a manchild, and if he gets a clear look from within one foot, look out below! To be a force at the next level, though, he's going to have to break his habit of using the power dribble in traffic and develop the ability to face up and hit 10-foot jumpers. Also, the only way he seems to be able to hit a free throw is to bank it in off the glass.

That's all for now; it's late.

Thicks ... I looked for you ... but no luck. I agree with your report. I also liked the Dubois kid. At first I thought he was scoring because he was in with the 2nd team ... then he stayed in against the 1st and continued to have his way. He looked a little awkward at time to me ... but he finishes.

Your thoughts on Curtis Muse ... he seemed raw, but very athletic and active to me.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

thicks said, "It's too bad Mizzou recruit Jason Horton wasn't able to play, as it would have been interesting and entertaining to watch Horton and Polk go head-to-head."

foreshadowing of what is to come. i.e. mi$$ouri ducking us.