best college hoops team in Mo calls St. Louis “home"

Bills71

He has a point - until a coach is coaching the players he recruits you can not honestly measure his success. The next 2-3 years for JC will be his defining measure.

Agreed. I thought it was a pretty good article and felt he made some fair points about Crews v. Haith, though he correctly indicated that there is more reason for optimism with Crews than there was with Haith.

Agreed. I thought it was a pretty good article and felt he made some fair points about Crews v. Haith, though he correctly indicated that there is more reason for optimism with Crews than there was with Haith.

For whatever reason, nearly every SLU head coach since Grawer (except RM) has had his most success with the previous coaches players. Spoon danced with Grawers players in 94 and 95 but only once thereafter. Romar danced with Spoon's players in 2000 but didn't in 01 and 02. Sodi went to the NIT in 03 and 04 with teams largely comprised of Romar recruits and did nothing thereafter. Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself with Crews. The next 2-3 years will be very interesting.

First, let's appreciate what we got going this year. It will end all to soon, and it's been a fabulous, almost unreal, three years. Next year will almost be JCs team. He still has 3 RM holdovers in JM, GG, and Mc3. Not the crew he has now, but I wouldn't call the cupboard bare. We were all pretty happy w/ the three FR he delivered this year and AY. So, let's give him the benefit of the doubt. SLU has so many good things going for it I think a guy like JC will continue to move it forward. Next year the expectations will not nearly be as great. I doubt we'll be ranked in the preseason, probably not slotted in early bracketologies, and picked as a middle of the pack in the A10. Far cry from this year, but at least we can look forward to see how this year's FR develop and what we've got in the new recruits. Also, if JM and GG have Conklin summers, we might just be able to extend our dance streak. We still have one open scholie, which I hope we fill with a JUCO. Just about any position would do as long as the guy could contribute immediately, since our backups are so short on experience. What also will be interesting to watch will be next year's recruiting. I think we're all going to be looking at just what CC brings to the party in this regard. Hopeful his name and excellent character will land us some of the better midwest and local talent out there. Bottom line, at this point I think we're well structured to keep the ball rolling, especially when compared to the state's second best D1 program.

First, let's appreciate what we got going this year. It will end all to soon, and it's been a fabulous, almost unreal, three years. Next year will almost be JCs team. He still has 3 RM holdovers in JM, GG, and Mc3. Not the crew he has now, but I wouldn't call the cupboard bare. We were all pretty happy w/ the three FR he delivered this year and AY. So, let's give him the benefit of the doubt. SLU has so many good things going for it I think a guy like JC will continue to move it forward. Next year the expectations will not nearly be as great. I doubt we'll be ranked in the preseason, probably not slotted in early bracketologies, and picked as a middle of the pack in the A10. Far cry from this year, but at least we can look forward to see how this year's FR develop and what we've got in the new recruits. Also, if JM and GG have Conklin summers, we might just be able to extend our dance streak. We still have one open scholie, which I hope we fill with a JUCO. Just about any position would do as long as the guy could contribute immediately, since our backups are so short on experience. What also will be interesting to watch will be next year's recruiting. I think we're all going to be looking at just what CC brings to the party in this regard. Hopeful his name and excellent character will land us some of the better midwest and local talent out there. Bottom line, at this point I think we're well structured to keep the ball rolling, especially when compared to the state's second best D1 program.

+1

Since the article came from COMO, I guess you could correlate the same for the Mizzou coaches. Quin danced with Norm's leftovers. Anderson with Quin's. Haith with Anderson's

The bold part is not true. They did not make the NCAA tourney Andersen's first two years.

Not sure what your point is - nobody was knocking JC just agree with the guy who wrote that it is only fair to hold off evaluating a coach's legacy until he has a chance to play with his recruites. How could anyone find fault with that measure.

1688389_610056849062993_913979387_n.jpg

Somehow, a friend of mine's parents are able to the get stltoday.com printed on paper and delivered to their house. This was on the cover of the sports section today.

1688389_610056849062993_913979387_n.jpg

Somehow, a friend of mine's parents are able to the get stltoday.com printed on paper and delivered to their house. This was on the cover of the sports section today.

Looks like the typical Post Dispatch bias at work there as they used a #3 jersey for the Bills and a #1 jersey for Mizzou. The average fan will look at that and implicitly assume SLU is #3 and Mizzou is #1.

No question that the next couple years will give Bills fans an indication of how we will fare with Coach Crews recruits. Not too worried about his X's and O's so it will all come down to how the kids he recruited progress as players. I am sure hopeful that this run continues as it has been a blast watching it.

Looks like the typical Post Dispatch bias at work there as they used a #3 jersey for the Bills and a #1 jersey for Mizzou. The average fan will look at that and implicitly assume SLU is #3 and Mizzou is #1.

...and ignore the giant "Moving up" and "Moving out" headlines? Cmon. #3 holds a special place in the hearts of Billiken fans.