OT: NIT vs. March Madness

Bills By 40

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have bet money on the NIT In the past. It's easier to pick those games than the first two rounds of the NCAA, since they are more regional and have non-neutral sites. The NIT is run by the NCAA now. There is a selection show for the NIT for the teams that won regular season titles. Only ESPN cares about the President's bracket.

Iowa was the runner-up in 2013. They are having a great season this year. The surprise of the Big 10.

Wichita St. won the NIT in 2011. Final Four in 2013.

Baylor was the runner-up in the NIT in 2009. They made it to the Regional Final of the 2010 NCAA.

West Virginia won in 2007. They went to the Sweet 16 in 2008 after beating Duke in the round of 32.

I could go back further and find of more of these.

Wichita St. First round loss in 2012. Final Four 2013.

Michigan. First round loss 2012. National Runner Up 2013.

Michigan St. First round loss 2011. 1 Seed and Sweet 16 2012.

Butler. First round loss 2009. National Runner Up 2010 and 2011.

I could go back further and find more of these.

On a bracket or individual games? Wonder what the ratings are for that selection show? Also, has any team, since they went to the 68 field, ever declined and opted to play in the NCAA? I'll agree if you are denied the NCAA, there's no disgrace playing in the NIT, especially if you're a young team. Great way to extend the learning curve, but most, if not all, coaches would prefer their kids get the dance experience.

Iowa was the runner-up in 2013. They are having a great season this year. The surprise of the Big 10.

Wichita St. won the NIT in 2011. Final Four in 2013.

Baylor was the runner-up in the NIT in 2009. They made it to the Regional Final of the 2010 NCAA.

West Virginia won in 2007. They went to the Sweet 16 in 2008 after beating Duke in the round of 32.

I could go back further and find of more of these.

I am sure you could, but each of those teams would have received more benefit by playing in the NCAA one game than a NIT run.

No one is arguing that there is no benefit from the NIT. That said, nothing prepares you for the NCAA tournament in future years better than playing in the NCAA tournament.

You trying to cheer up Mizzou fans?

Are you saying they even have a chance of winning the NIT? HAH.

-I am curious, which side of the argument were you on?

-NCAA for all the reasons others have mentioned

I was on the same side as everybody here. It wasn't necessarily one side or the other, we agreed with each other, but we were trying to be unbiased and make an argument for either side.

Wichita St. First round loss in 2012. Final Four 2013.

Michigan. First round loss 2012. National Runner Up 2013.

Michigan St. First round loss 2011. 1 Seed and Sweet 16 2012.

Butler. First round loss 2009. National Runner Up 2010 and 2011.

I could go back further and find more of these.

The NIT is a good alternative for a young team. Maybe a couple of extra home games…extra practice… possibility to play in MSG. It's only a washout with a quick elimination.

That's what we were saying. I should've made the question more specific because our argument in favor of the NIT was if you're a young team, i.e. freshman and sophomores, the NIT tends to be much better experience than a whooping in the Round of 64. For example, Wichita St. or the SLU CBI team a few years back. I think victory and a longer season goes further in developing a young team than just the chance to play in the big dance. Not that any of those said players would rather have the NIT championship, but the argument is there... (kind of)

BrianSTL from Jeffco, I said from the beginning, the question has a bad premise. Of course, an NCAA bid is better, but you must look beyond that. When the goal of a bid is reached, a lot of times those teams ride that for a week and are knocked out easily. A failed bid and an invite to the NIT can be used by a coach and its players to try and validate a season. It takes more gumption to raise yourself up after kick in the gut, and go out for 2-3 weeks and win five games. And sometimes a first round NCAA loss will motivate a team the next year to not take the bid for granted. I'm sure Wichita learned just as much from their 2011 NIT run as it did their 2012 first round exit.

SLU 13, I think you and I both proved it depends on what kind of team you have. Also, how could anyone care about my bracket when I don't fill out one.

SLU 72, the ratings for the NIT show are about the same as a Sunday afternoon women's game. It's all part of the entire network package.

I could name many of the teams eliminated in the first round of the NCAA tourney, but I cannot tell you any of the teams (besides Kentucky) that played in the NIT...

I find this sentence interesting. It would have been easy to put Mizzou in the first half, yet you didn't. You did know Kentucky for the second half.

I challenge you to name just 10 of the 15 at-large NCAA selections to lose in the first round of 2013 NCAA's, WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP. ( I mention at-large because those are really the teams that are comparable to this option.)

I find this sentence interesting. It would have been easy to put Mizzou in the first half, yet you didn't. You did know Kentucky for the second half.

I challenge you to name just 10 more of the 30 at-large NCAA selections to lose in the first round of 2013 NCAA's, WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP. ( I mention at-large because those are really the teams that are comparable to this option.)

I don't know all the conference tourney winners so I don't know who is at large but I'll give you more than 10 to make up for it.

Oklahoma St.

Wisconsin

Pittsburgh

Georgetown

Kansas St

Colorado

New Mexico

Villanova

Notre Dame

Cincinnati

UNLV

Oklahoma

probably more. and no i did not look these up. its not that hard to remember especially if you're one of the hundreds of millions who fill out a bracket.

Off the top of my head:

SLU got a 4 seed, got the A10 autobid, beat 13 seed NMSU (WAC champion) then lost to Pac 12 autobid Oregon.

VCU got a 5 seed, don't remember who they beat as the 12 seed, then got blown out by 4 seed Michigan.

Butler got a 6 seed, beat 11 seed Bucknell then lost to 3 seed Marquette.

Temple got a 9 seed, don't remember who the 8 seed was that they beat, then they took 1 seed Indiana down to the wire but lost.

La Salle got a 13 seed, I recall they were the very last team to be named during the selection show. They played in the opening round and won, then beat 4 seed K-State and then beat someone else to make the S16, before losing to Wichita State.

Mi$$ou was an 8/9 seed lost to Colorado St in the first round.

The Final Four was Wichita St, Louisville, Syracuse, and Michigan. Syracuse beat Indiana to get there, and Indiana players looked like they had never seen a zone before.

Almost forgot, Florida Gulf Coast dunked all over Georgetown and San Diego State to become the first 15 seed to make the S16.

I remember all this but the only thing I remembered about the NIT was Kentucky losing to Robert Morris.

good for you SLU 13, but the question was for Dwayne's World. As for the "hundreds of millions of people who fill out a bracket" (of which I'm not), I think that is more outrageous than anything I wrote on this board. If you've only been out of school for less than a year, I would think you would like to know a little history that goes beyond your frontal lobe.

Why would you want to ban someone who has an informative, alternative view? A question was asked, and I gave my opinion. A rebuttal was given, and I gave some instances which backed up my point. I would think you would want to learn something from this.

On the next thread, I'll just agree with what everyone else is discussing.

good for you SLU 13, but the question was for Dwayne's World. As for the "hundreds of millions of people who fill out a bracket" (of which I'm not), I think that is more outrageous than anything I wrote on this board. If you've only been out of school for less than a year, I would think you would like to know a little history that goes beyond your frontal lobe.

Why would you want to ban someone who has an informative, alternative view? A question was asked, and I gave my opinion. A rebuttal was given, and I gave some instances which backed up my point. I would think you would want to learn something from this.

On the next thread, I'll just agree with what everyone else is discussing.

On Sunday, the NCAA unveiled the brackets for this year’s 68-team men’s basketball tournament. An estimated 45 percent of Americans fill out the brackets with their predictions of the results each year, and Barack Obama has referred to the practice as “a national pastime.” When were tournament brackets invented?

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/explainer/2012/03/history_of_bracketology_when_did_people_start_filling_out_ncaa_tournament_brackets_.html

313,000,000 * 45% = 140,850,000

So sure I guess technically you're right. It's only a little over one hundred million. My point stands. So off.

this "troll" will be sitting in Sect 219 on Thursday night for the 8th time this season. I will also be attending the Belmont - SIUE game this evening, because that's what I have done for the last 25 years, go to a lot of NCAA basketball games.

If you don't like what I have to say, then don't respond.