The Bench

Bernie talked about it this morning in the Post and sadly I agree with him. I think our bench will be our achilles heel in the postseason. Our lapses in offense at times has to do with our bench not being able to score. Defensivley there is not much of a drop off with Grandy, Manning, Crawford, Tanner, and McBroom in the game. However, in the tourney we have to play consistently on offense to have a chance at the Sweet 16. I think sometimes Crawford and Lancona are too hesistant offensively. We need more points from somewhere in the tournament and these guys can score if they become more assertive.

Mc3s been pretty good all year giving us a scoring spark not so much though lately. Hope that's just a minor bump. But Bernie's right we don't have a lot of points sitting on the bench. JMs had flashes but not consistently. GG shoots before brain engages. The FR seem real tentative. Probably afraid a missed shot gets 'em yanked. MC might be our best bet.

It seems the bench has been pretty solid outside of the last 2 games. And quite frankly, not sure that our bench players match up well with the prior two teams. I do think we matchup better against GW and we will see solid production from the bench tomorrow.

Agree, especially with GW being shorthanded

This is yet another case of economists predicting ten of the last three recessions in this country. We're freakin' 24-2. To fill space, the various commentators generate theories. Then when they come true, the guy acts like he's some sort of analytical genius.

(BTW, although I believe Bobby Knight is an analytical genius, that's somewhat worthless when he doesn't spend time on the data he uses to inform the analysis. His commentary on Loe was blatantly ignorant, but it was just one of several instances during the game where I didn't think he had a clue what was going on.)

As I've commented on often, the days of iron man basketball among major teams is over. Saw somewhere that we were ranked 222 in NCAA for bench minutes. Now the problem is that late in conference play, games get tighter as opposition better knows how to play each other. However, MC and TL look like their poise is improving and with more minutes can fully participate on both ends.

MC looked good for a couple of games. But lately he looks overwhelmed and a bit lost out there. Ithink TL might have caught up with MC and may see more minutes. But neither of these guys look like that are ready to help much down the stretch. I am very high on all three frosh. But boy, do we need them to grow up quick because next year they will get major minutes.

I think SLU's best chance for scoring help from the bench lies in AM and GG. AM has proved he can score and hit the 3 and drive to the basket (although his height is definitely and drawback when he goes to the hoop). GG can score near the hoop but not sure he can ever get control of himself so he doesn't foul so much.

Crews really needs to take advantage of this year's PR and high ranking and get a big-time, immediate contributor with our last scholarship.

Mc3s been pretty good all year giving us a scoring spark not so much though lately. Hope that's just a minor bump. But Bernie's right we don't have a lot of points sitting on the bench. JMs had flashes but not consistently. GG shoots before brain engages. The FR seem real tentative. Probably afraid a missed shot gets 'em yanked. MC might be our best bet.

Wait. That's not fair. Crews is not to blame and he hasn't yanked them simply for a missed shot all year.

This is yet another case of economists predicting ten of the last three recessions in this country. We're freakin' 24-2. To fill space, the various commentators generate theories. Then when they come true, the guy acts like he's some sort of analytical genius.

+1

Come on, McBroom has been cold lately, but he's still our best outside shooter and one of our better scoring threats over the course of the season. I am not too concerned about lack of offense from the bench. And calling Jett and Ellis bench players last year is nothing more than a technicality when they averaged 26 minutes apiece.

GG needs to be able to shot fake. I assume he doesn't try to because he can't do so without walking. If he could develope a decent shot fake that would help him a lot. I think half his shot attempts are blocked.

He also needs to work on catching the ball. When we have gotten in foul trouble, like first half at St. Joes, our offense is effected a great deal. I like McBroom but we have nothing else on the bench.

What is beautiful about this team is there is enough talent and experience to overcome some players' bad games. San Diego State has one player. We have a number of good to come in, players like Grandy who can come in and spell an Evans, who was in foul trouble. I personally think McBroom is very valuable, even though he sometimes launches those off balance three pointers like he's playing a Sunday half court league.

Coach had him in the game at the end to get fouled and shoot free throws, and that worked. Crawford needs confidence, but his brilliant drive is what he can do when given the chance. He needs to play a lot if we get ahead of Duquesne and/or Dayton and let him drive. Last night, the shots at the end didn't fall for JJ, but he was there.

My biggest disappointments were Barnett missing BOTH FTs near the end, and McBroom's ill advised threes. Also, we seem to get out of control when we have a lead, trying to bury the opponent, and get sloppy. Crews has been brilliant, but the one very small beef I have with his coaching is he doesn't call time out when the team is out of focus, like RM did. BTW, that bald-headed ref is horrible. Every time we have him he calls twice the number of fouls on us than he calls on our opponent, and a lot of those fouls are clearly wrong. I watched the replays and it is clear to me he doesn't like SLU. He called one on Manning that was the worst.

I have no problem with McBroom continuing to put up threes, but Barnett's missed free throws brought back nightmares from the end of the Wichita State game.

I also agree that Crews not calling timeouts continues to be a little puzzling. It's definitely a pattern.

I have no problem with McBroom continuing to put up threes, but Barnett's missed free throws brought back nightmares from the end of the Wichita State game.

I also agree that Crews not calling timeouts continues to be a little puzzling. It's definitely a pattern.

It's part of his coaching philosophy. I don't really agree with it but it seems to be working so whatever

It's part of his coaching philosophy. I don't really agree with it but it seems to be working so whatever

If you watch a replay of the game, you'll see nearly every time someone jacked up a quick shot, in the second half, they were substituted and talked to by an assistant. And then put back in within a couple of minutes. Frankly, I think this staff really gets it.

If you watch a replay of the game, you'll see nearly every time someone jacked up a quick shot, in the second half, they were substituted and talked to by an assistant. And then put back in within a couple of minutes. Frankly, I think this staff really gets it.

yep. i watched carefully as mcbroom and mccall put up stupid threes back to back when we inexplicably took our foot off GW's throat. they got YOINKED immediately. staff needs to put up with no bullsh!t, especially from the seniors.