VCU @ Umass on ESPN2 Tonight

Taj79

Game tip is 7:00 pm EST; 6:00 pm CST. If Umass wins, VCU drops into a tie for second place with Umass and GeeDubya, with St.Joe's one win back from joining them. Which should happen on Saturday when St. Joe's hosts Fordham. Richmond can/should also join the party in second as they host a fading La Salle team Saturday.

All will sit at 8 and 4, three-and-a-half games back of us,four down in the loss column. Meaning a win over GeeDubya on Saturday essentially clinches a regular season title for us. Two ina row ---- and habit-formingly addictive!

Anyway,who do we root for? I am going Umass. Screw RPI stuff and all that, I want the title again and that result seems to get us a lot closer than having VCU alone in second. Plus, I want VCU and Umass to have see each other before us in Brooklyn. I'd like VCU/Umassin 2/3 and St. Joe's/Richmond at the four/five.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Game tip is 7:00 pm EST; 6:00 pm CST. If Umass wins, VCU drops into a tie for second place with Umass and GeeDubya, with St.Joe's one win back from joining them. Which should happen on Saturday when St. Joe's hosts Fordham. Richmond can/should also join the party in second as they host a fading La Salle team Saturday.

All will sit at 8 and 4, three-and-a-half games back of us,four down in the loss column. Meaning a win over GeeDubya on Saturday essentially clinches a regular season title for us. Two ina row ---- and habit-formingly addictive!

Anyway,who do we root for? I am going Umass. Screw RPI stuff and all that, I want the title again and that result seems to get us a lot closer than having VCU alone in second. Plus, I want VCU and Umass to have see each other before us in Brooklyn. I'd like VCU/Umassin 2/3 and St. Joe's/Richmond at the four/five.

I'm definitely rooting for UMass.

-this would require picking the lesser of two evils for me

-just did a quick look at real time rpi to see if it would matter to us and other than we play VCU twice not sure it does

-also noticed the # of teams for a few conferences in the top 50...Beast 3, SEC 4, Big10 6, ACC 5, A10 6 (SLU, UMass, VCU, GW, SJU and Rich), impressive (what the heck are you doing Duquesne at 233???)

-this would require picking the lesser of two evils for me

-just did a quick look at real time rpi to see if it would matter to us and other than we play VCU twice not sure it does

-also noticed the # of teams for a few conferences in the top 50...Beast 3, SEC 4, Big10 6, ACC 5, A10 6 (SLU, UMass, VCU, GW, SJU and Rich), impressive (what the heck are you doing Duquesne at 233???)

Winning at home against Duquesne next week is very important. That's the last bad RPI team on the regular-season schedule; we can absorb a loss to any of the other remaining teams, since the worst one (Dayton) was sitting at 57 as of yesterday. Not that I want to or expect to, just saying. Duquesne is the last chance for a disastrous loss unless they or someone else with a bad RPI (Fordham 187, URI 179, GMU 148) greets us in Brooklyn. I'm hoping the bad ones just get weeded out before we have to bother.

I know it's early in the thread but I appear to see consensus in Umass. That doesn't happen much for me! Even got the kshoe. By the way ---- and shoes to Brooklyn? Mom again?

No shoes in Brooklyn. At least a couple will be at the NCAA tourney though.

If UMass wins, VCU will be tied for third with Saint Joseph's in 2nd at 8-3 by a half game (with an easy home game vs Fordham tomorrow). Additionally, if UMass wins, we could clinch the league title at home next Thursday vs Duquesne.

We play VCU twice to UMass once. I'm rooting for VCU.

It's OK to hate. Just make sense while doing it folks. JettFlight5 is dead on the mark.

I'm still trying to figure out how VCU is only a plus 1 dog for this one with Vegas. What do they know that we don't?

I'm going with UMass just to cancel MUDKAT'S vote.

I'm very much hoping to put Jan and Silent Bob up at 9:30. Tough game. We gotta find a way to hold down Chaz. They are not dominating down low and we have better size than last year. Just don't make this a FT bogus usual A-10 officiating game. We always get fouls racked up on us en masse when on the road. I wanna see a run n gun game!!!!

Edit: In case you hadn't figured it out, I'm a hard-core VCU fan.

I selected VCU tonight, small, if you know what I mean; I think U Mass is very overrated. I do not think the outcome will affect us that much at all.

My biggest fear, again, is that our kids will not be able to run the table knowing they have the A-10 practically clinched. And if when they do, the last 3 games, @ VCU, Dayton, @ U Mass, we will be playing teams that might be 1,000% more motivated than us, playing for seeding, byes, and getting their NCAA resumes enhanced by beating us.

One loss and the AP and USA will dump on us 5-7 spots and even more with two losses. But no worries, sure win the A-10 and the A-10 Tourney, but what matters is winning TWO goddam NCAA games. Quibble about seeding for the NCAA is over done. # 3, # 4, # 5, # 6... does it matter that much in the scramble of all the teams that are possible opponents?