Former Targets

RiseAndGrind

1) Wally Ellenson has left the Minnesota Basketball team to focus on Track and Field.

Looks like he played in 9 games his freshman year and average 5.3 minutes. Scored a career 18 points.

2) Quinton Chievous

Turned on the Georgia-Tennessee game and he was no where to be found. Doesn't look like he is injured as he played 5 minutes against Florida. Looked up his career stats. See below. He's played in 6 games this year.

TOTAL 28-0 9.0 24-53 .453 6-22 .273 4-8 .500 15-58 2.07 7 17 1 3 58 2.1

Last Updated: Feb 15, 2014

Funny how we always think we are missing out.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I. Djambo, Clemson --- 23 games, 10.5 mpg, 1.9 ppg, 1.7 rpg

R. Onwuasor, Texas Tech --- 26 games, 11.8 mpg, 3.3 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 1.3 apg.

N. Berry, Butler --- 15 games, 4.5 mpg, 1.7 ppg, 1.1 rpg.

K. Post, Mizzou --- 20 games, 7 mpg, 0.9 ppg, 1.5 rpg.

H. Saintel, So Alabama -- 25 games, 22.9 mpg, 6.9 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.7 apg.

Z. Turner, Ball State --- 23 games, 32.3 mpg, 12.2 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 3.5 apg.

H. Price, TCU --- 18 games, 12.2 mpg, 1.6 ppg, 1.7 ppg, 0.3 apg.

M. Shaw, transfer from Illinois --- to Bradley

L. Smith, Nebraska --- 24 games, 18.3 mpg, 6.3 ppg, 5.3 rpg.

D. Knight, Illinois State --- 27 games, 27.7 mpg, 13.2 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 2.3 apg.

J. Strawberry, prep school --- no stats available

L. Strivins, Nevada --- 17 games, 6.5 mpg, 0.5 ppg, 1.1 rpg.

AJ Riley, John Logan CC --- no stats available.

Trey Ziegler, transfer from Pitt --- to TCU.

Turner and Knight lead their teams (Ball State and Illinois State) in ppg.

And to be fair:

A. McBroom, SLU --- 25 games, 22.7 mpg, 8.5 ppg, 2.1 rpg. 1.9 apg.

T. Lancona, SLU --- 14 games, 6.9 mpg, 2.4 ppg, 1.5 rpg.

R. Agbeko, SLU --- 17 games, 5.6 mpg, 1.6 ppg, 1.4 rpg.

M. Crawford, SLU --- 19 games, 7.5 mpg, 2.1 mpg, 0.6 rpg, 0.5 apg.

This type of comparison leaves out the possibility that the coaches would have been able to make the players more valuable to our team. The coaches may have seen a way to develop his skills that he his present coaches do not.

It is bit like chasing the four star recruit. It says nothing about how the player will fit into your team, only some generic team that the star awarders have in their head.

Alright, let me say something a little devils advocate:

If none of the kids we recruited the past couple years and went elsewhere have succeeded big time and none of the kids we have actually landed the past couple years have succeeded big time (yet), maybe we aren't recruiting the right caliber kid to succeed big time once our seniors graduate?

I'd actually feel better if some of the guys we missed out on went elsewhere and were tearing it up. It would suggest that we were on the right path. Seeing this list is a little depressing, quite frankly.

This type of comparison leaves out the possibility that the coaches would have been able to make the players more valuable to our team. The coaches may have seen a way to develop his skills that he his present coaches do not.

It is bit like chasing the four star recruit. It says nothing about how the player will fit into your team, only some generic team that the star awarders have in their head.

That is true. I do like to see how guys we were recruiting end up playing though and it is likely somewhat valuable for the coaches to kind of check out after the season to help them improve their evaluations.

I felt like there were a few guys in this most recent recruiting cycle that we lost to other programs that excited me on paper in guys like JP Macura, Sean O'Mara, Larry Austin Jr., Jordan Barnett (have seen in person and would have been the type of athlete that we typically do not have), and Kelan Martin. I am interested to see how those guys produce.

If none of the kids we recruited the past couple years and went elsewhere have succeeded big time and none of the kids we have actually landed the past couple years have succeeded big time (yet), maybe we aren't recruiting the right caliber kid to succeed big time once our seniors graduate?

I'd actually feel better if some of the guys we missed out on went elsewhere and were tearing it up. It would suggest that we were on the right path. Seeing this list is a little depressing, quite frankly.

I agree. While it is tough to see a kid we recruited hard kill it for another program (especially if it is a local kid), if kids we offer consistently do not produce it would imply that we are missing in our evaluation of recruits.

@kshoe ---- I looked at the list this way ---- I always get pinged as the negative type and I've been hard on my expectations with our own freshmen. The stats above of them vis-a-vis theothers are comparable. So I sighed and took a breath. Now, what TheChosenOne said is a new equation, one I had not considered. Oh well.

Fair enough, but on the positive side, nearly all of these are spring recruits. Getting major freshman contributors out of your spring recruiting class is definitely atypical.

It's hard for any freshman to contribute when you have such an experienced veteran starting rotation (unless you are Jabari Parker, wiggins, Gordon, etc). The freshman class next season will have a greater opportunity to contribute with 5 seniors graduating, but I think everyone is expecting way too much from them in the first place...

Jake Barnett was killing it as a freshman in a lesser conference......

Anyone who can't see the potential of Agbecko, Lancona, and Crawford should find a new past time........

Definitely fair, but people could be playing this game on other boards, look up our freshmen's stats, and think they didn't miss out on anything the same this thread is.

It's hard for any freshman to contribute when you have such an experienced veteran starting rotation (unless you are Jabari Parker, wiggins, Gordon, etc). The freshman class next season will have a greater opportunity to contribute with 5 seniors graduating, but I think everyone is expecting way too much from them in the first place...

Next year our core rotation will be: Mc3, AY, MC at guards; GG, JM, TL, RA on the inside. That's only 7,so we're going to need at least 2 of the FR to play some minutes. Jolly is just about guaranteed to back up Manning. I say him over Gillman, because he's got a more developed D1 body. I'm not sure which of the 3 guards get minutes, but it will likely be whomever embraces defense. Any thoughts on which of them is a defensive force? What, I'm really hoping is this spring we land either a good JUCO PG, C, or PF with the one open scholie. I'd prefer a good JUCO C, as it's gonna take a couple of years to develop Jolly and Gillman. Also, we could redshirt Gillman to round out the classes. Leaping ahead two years, we should be ok experience wise, especially w/ guards. As for the inside we've got to hope RA, TL, and Jolly all develop like our current SRs have. Unless we land Tatum, we probably won't get an out of the box D1 FR based on prior history.

Definitely fair, but people could be playing this game on other boards, look up our freshmen's stats, and think they didn't miss out on anything the same this thread is.

I think kshoe's point is a good one though, should we be happy that guys our staff targeted and offered scholarships to (not sure the level of interest we had in the specific guys listed above) are not producing or view it with some concern if they don't produce since the staff had evaluated those kids and made the decision to pursue them. I do think we need to hold off on forming opinions on these kids until they have played a few seasons before determining whether or not they were busts since first year players producing at a high level is not the norm.

Next year our core rotation will be: Mc3, AY, MC at guards; GG, JM, TL, RA on the inside. That's only 7,so we're going to need at least 2 of the FR to play some minutes. Jolly is just about guaranteed to back up Manning. I say him over Gillman, because he's got a more developed D1 body. I'm not sure which of the 3 guards get minutes, but it will likely be whomever embraces defense. Any thoughts on which of them is a defensive force? What, I'm really hoping is this spring we land either a good JUCO PG, C, or PF with the one open scholie. I'd prefer a good JUCO C, as it's gonna take a couple of years to develop Jolly and Gillman. Also, we could redshirt Gillman to round out the classes. Leaping ahead two years, we should be ok experience wise, especially w/ guards. As for the inside we've got to hope RA, TL, and Jolly all develop like our current SRs have. Unless we land Tatum, we probably won't get an out of the box D1 FR based on prior history.

It sounds like Davell Roby has the most college ready body of the guards and has been described as a strong defender with length who is good in transition.

Miles Reynolds appears to have similar attributes although not as strong and athletic, but more scoring ability.

Those two sound like guys that have accepted roles on their current high school teams playing strong defense with the ability to score in transition and Reynolds has had some big offensive games, so he may come in with more ability to shoot from distance and score.

Bartley sounds like more of a scoring guard, but based on comments from those on this board who have seen him he may lack the strength to play as a freshman.

I have not seen any of these kids live, so this is all based on what I have read, the little I have seen on tv, and highlights.

The reporting on recruiting has gotten a lot better, but I suspect there are also quite a few recruits who had some level of interest in SLU who we never even hear about. Sometimes we'll hear about it after the fact. For example, I recently heard that Trey Burke had interest in SLU. I never heard that at that time. Also, look at how Roby was recruited. His name only first was reported being connected to SLU a few days before he signed. Surely we were recruiting him longer than just a few days before he signed. Kids tend to have pretty fluid recruiting lists.

It sounds like Davell Roby has the most college ready body of the guards and has been described as a strong defender with length who is good in transition.

Miles Reynolds appears to have similar attributes although not as strong and athletic, but more scoring ability.

Those two sound like guys that have accepted roles on their current high school teams playing strong defense with the ability to score in transition and Reynolds has had some big offensive games, so he may come in with more ability to shoot from distance and score.

Bartley sounds like more of a scoring guard, but based on comments from those on this board who have seen him he may lack the strength to play as a freshman.

I have not seen any of these kids live, so this is all based on what I have read, the little I have seen on tv, and highlights.

I sense that Roby is the strongest and most ready to contribute defensively, therefore, may play the biggest role next year. Yes, it appears Reynolds is the best scorer. I think Bartley is the best passer, the most likely to be a point guard. I expect Gillman to redshirt and for Jolly to get a few minutes in a back-up role.

As for freshman contributing, we've had a lot of them in the RM era, sometimes our of necessity, but many were quite good - KM, BC, WR, JJ, MM, DE, CE, RL. I think if TL, RA and MC were on less experienced Billiken teams, that they would have been capable of providing signifant contributions as freshmen. This year, it was just a case of them being on a deep, experienced roster. Now if they are struggling to get significant minutes early next year, I will reevaluate my opinion.

I would guess that Gillmann and Bartley need time in the weight room before they can really contribute. Roby and Jolly seem to be the most ready to contribute. Reynolds and Roby probably seem the most ready from the standpoint that they can play their role on the team. Neither is the best or even the 2nd best player on his high school team, yet both are great players and they understand their role. I think that's important coming into college.

That said, I won't believe anything anyone says (including myself) about which freshmen are most ready. Not after reading people on here who said that Agbeko was the next coming over LeBron just because he dominated them at the rec this summer. I think someone even said that Agbeko could be headed to the NBA after next season

I would guess that Gillmann and Bartley need time in the weight room before they can really contribute. Roby and Jolly seem to be the most ready to contribute. Reynolds and Roby probably seem the most ready from the standpoint that they can play their role on the team. Neither is the best or even the 2nd best player on his high school team, yet both are great players and they understand their role. I think that's important coming into college.

That said, I won't believe anything anyone says (including myself) about which freshmen are most ready. Not after reading people on here who said that Agbeko was the next coming over LeBron just because he dominated them at the rec this summer. I think someone even said that Agbeko could be headed to the NBA after next season

I don't recall anybody saying anything like that on this board, but you're right, we tend to overhype our young players on this board.