Former Targets

RiseAndGrind

31 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

I need to go watch his highlight reel I think.  He was about the least ready NBA player on that 2013 roster.  I am genuinely shocked.

I just watched his highlight reel. It just goes to show how different players can thrive under different systems. His baskets were not the type of baskets that he would've been getting under a Jim Crews offense. Gives me hope that someone like Reggie, Roby, Bartley or Neufeld might be much better under a new system

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Grandy, people know how bad a coach Crews was the last 2 years but I am pretty sure those same people will be shocked how bad he really was. Some of the same players that people on here have dogged to no end will be the ones having similar or better production this season and next. 

To be fair, guys like McBroom (Eastern Washington) and Glaze (Grand Canyon) had success playing at a level that better fit their ability. Did Lancona even end up in DI? Reynolds is headed to Pacific and Yarbrough to Illinois State are also going to conferences that likely fit their ability better as well (I understand that some of these programs have been better than SLU the past two seasons) and who knows whether Jolly finds a home at the DI level. While I agree Crews was an awful coach, I don't think I would use these guys having success last season and at their future homes as proof of that. I do think eliminating the dysfunction both on the roster and the coaching staff should lead to some guys playing better than they have in the past, but I still understand how many would question the ceilings of those who stuck around. I am just happy that Ford is here and we will see an upgraded roster a year from now.

As if there were not enough ammunition, if Grandy even ended up getting looked at by NBA teams, that would be the greatest indictment of the Crewsplatt era.  As said above, it also would give us hope that the current guys may not be as bad as they were when they were shoulder deep in the dumpster fire of the past two years.

I wouldn't read anything into Grandy's workout with the 76ers.  Bryan Colangelo took over the 76ers in April.  Jerry Colangelo is a special adviser to the 76ers.  Jerry is involved big time with Grand Canyon U and is super tight with Dan Majerle the coach of GCU.  I assume it was nothing more than a chance for the Colangelos to try to help Majerle and raise the profile of GCU a little.  

NBA teams work out a lot of players that will never see minutes in the league. For example, the Jazz have worked out anywhere from 30 to 100+ players in recent seasons. So I wouldn't use this as an indictment on the Crews era or anything like that. Brian's explanation makes the most sense, and there's also the chance that someone saw a big-bodied forward who had a really productive senior season and wanted to get a closer look.

On 6/17/2016 at 1:03 PM, brianstl said:

I wouldn't read anything into Grandy's workout with the 76ers.  Bryan Colangelo took over the 76ers in April.  Jerry Colangelo is a special adviser to the 76ers.  Jerry is involved big time with Grand Canyon U and is super tight with Dan Majerle the coach of GCU.  I assume it was nothing more than a chance for the Colangelos to try to help Majerle and raise the profile of GCU a little.  

I saw this prospect rating and Grandy's name does not appear on the list of 125 players listed, so I think this was the right read on the situation:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/final-nba-draft-big-board-ben-simmons-is-no-1-but-didnt-start-the-season-there/

Speaking of McCaw and the &76ers, USA Today Sports Weekly, which came out today has their latest mock draft with McCaw being drafted 26th in the 1st round and going to Philadelphia.  Last week's issue had him listed as the 40th best player coming out of college.

9 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

47% from 3P last year, so he must've remembered how to hit an open shot.

He averaged 12.1 points shooting 55% from the field (47% from the 3) and 5.8 rebounds in 26.2 minutes per game.

Speaking of DII players, has Jolly found his new home yet?

20 hours ago, GMan Alum said:

Speaking of McCaw and the &76ers, USA Today Sports Weekly, which came out today has their latest mock draft with McCaw being drafted 26th in the 1st round and going to Philadelphia.  Last week's issue had him listed as the 40th best player coming out of college.

He's had an interesting trajectory. He wasn't all that hyped coming out of CBC. Maybe it was the prep year that caused people to forget about him? You'd think a fringe-first rounder would not be relatively anonymous in his own city.