Former Targets

RiseAndGrind

It was hilarious today hearing a coworker read the headline (which didn't have the player's name) and make the cranky old guy (well, crankiest oldest guy) guess who it was. He named literally every black player first, then O'Mara and "walk-ons?" before finally: "JP?! No way! He's such a clean-cut, good kid! This is way outta character for him, for sure."

This is too damn funny.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is too damn funny.

I'm remembering the best I can but it was along the lines of:

"Had to be Reynolds, he's such a bozo...Blueitt is full of himself, thinks he's already good enough for the NBA...Well, then I bet it was that Austin kid...Or Sumner, he's a cocky freshman...Abell and Farr are seniors, they've gotta be wiser than that by now...I don't know much about London or Gates, but you never know with these freshmen...Davis might do something like that, bad as he played lately...the walk-ons? They wouldn't make news, though, right?...can't be O'Mara, he's a good kid...."

The other guy's just going "No...nope...no, guess again...nope...no..."

It was hysterical.

JP probably reminds him of his grandsons, so it's just unimaginable.

No word about an agent or anything, but his Tweet makes things at UNLV sound pretty much wrapped up:

https://twitter.com/22gang_/status/717035552709607425

It's been an ongoing trend for a while now but the number of players that declare early for the draft and stay in the draft far exceeds the number of kids that can get drafted. I'm sure part of it is the typical bad advice but I also think many of them look at the NBDL or paying for play in Europe as "good enough" options that are better than playing for free in the U.S. Continues the watering down of college basketball.

It's been an ongoing trend for a while now but the number of players that declare early for the draft and stay in the draft far exceeds the number of kids that can get drafted. I'm sure part of it is the typical bad advice but I also think many of them look at the NBDL or paying for play in Europe as "good enough" options that are better than playing for free in the U.S. Continues the watering down of college basketball.

I also think the rise of online mock drafts and the ease with which players can read about themselves hurts too. Guys see themselves on one mock draft and immediately assume they're for sure NBA players.

It might be a way to get a transfer out of UNLV, too, given the coaching change. But with the rule change this year, he can at least see if he gets invited to the pre-draft camp, get a workout, and then go back to school - UNLV or elsewhere - as long as he doesn't hire an agent.

I also think the rise of online mock drafts and the ease with which players can read about themselves hurts too. Guys see themselves on one mock draft and immediately assume they're for sure NBA players.

That's true, for sure, but the weird thing is that McCaw's name isn't really showing up on any of them. Zimmerman from UNLV should be a first rounder and Derrick Jones has a chance to be a second rounder. McCaw is reaching, though.

From what I saw of McCaw in person this year (granted it was in November) he didn't appear NBA ready. He had good scoring numbers early in the season, but not someone I would have expected to leave after this season. Even Zimmerman is a reach. He could benefit tremendously from another year.

i love Grandy Glaze and congrats on his award. But the WAC ended up 26th out of 32 conferences. Had he transferred into the A10, any A10 school, we wouldn't be talking about him winning the award. He doesn't get those stats against Ali-Cox, McElvaene, Wright, Thompson, Rhoomes, Larsen, etc. He picked the right school in the right conference. Good decision to move down to low major.

• 2 months later...

It will be intresting to see where McCaw ends up going.  Frank brought him up on his show today.  It does appear that some are starting to move him up to the bottom third of the first round.  Sounds like his stock has really shot up in the predraft workouts.