Realistic expectations for remaining six games.

Fansince59

As fantastic as this run has been we have to acknowledge a little luck has contributed to the streak. I believe 4-2 for the last six games is realistic and damn good. Hope I'm too conservative. Also I got a kick out of Knight and the other announcer on TV referring to us as Saint Louis U., not Saint Louis. Like 1965.

I do think you are being conservative. I think 4-2 is closer to a worst-case scenario than a realistic expectation. Running the table is certainly possible at this point. Nothing wrong with being greedy now considering our ranking and RPI, in my opinion.

@VCU will by far be the toughest. @UMass looks way more winnable now than anyone could've imagined earlier in the season.

I have no idea how these last 6 games will go, but it will be a great warmup for both tournaments. If we win our next 9, mainly against very good teams, leading up to the tournament, aside from getting a great seed, the momentum and experience the team will have would be incredibly helpful.

I have seen many people, here and otherwise, state that we should hope for at least one more loss to break the pressure. That teams with great unbeaten streaks typically fizzle in the tournament. The trade off, though, is giving up that higher seed. What are your thoughts on this? If we have one more loss, is it best to win or lose that toughest game at VCU? I have also seen someone say they hope we lose before the A10 final to give us more rest. What say you?

I have seen many people, here and otherwise, state that we should hope for at least one more loss to break the pressure. That teams with great unbeaten streaks typically fizzle in the tournament. The trade off, though, is giving up that higher seed. What are your thoughts on this? If we have one more loss, is it best to win or lose that toughest game at VCU? I have also seen someone say they hope we lose before the A10 final to give us more rest. What say you?

Bingo...I think that was a major contributing factor in our getting beat by Oregon last season. We had 3 games in 3 days in Brooklyn, and then play 2 games the next week across the country in California. That's a lot of games and a lot of travel in a short period of time.

And as far as UMass goes...those pr!cks seem to get up for us, especially at home. Given their past few weeks, they may seriously need a W against us

I'm praying for 5-1, expecting 4-2, and would still be okay with 3-3 (@Mason and GW at Chaifetz could both be extremely tough)

As fantastic as this run has been we have to acknowledge a little luck has contributed to the streak. I believe 4-2 for the last six games is realistic and damn good. Hope I'm too conservative. Also I got a kick out of Knight and the other announcer on TV referring to us as Saint Louis U., not Saint Louis. Like 1965.

mods- please ban this troll.

We are going undefeated.

It is just natural that we will have a letdown game, maybe two, especially after we clinch the A-10 regular season championship and are looking ahead to the A-10 Tournament and the NCAA Tournament. We might even let down before clinching, after beating VCU and knowing that we have a 3 game lead.

It happens all the time, even though the coaches warn the players; we are already seeing some of that in other conferences as teams clinch NCAA bids and / or are a shoo in for top seeds in their conference tournament.

I think that's totally illogical. Losing one game is not going to increase the probability of winning the next one, or the next. It strikes me as one step away from not stepping under any ladders or letting black cats cross your path. You want the best possible seeding and the best possible matchups, period. Losing isn't going to help anything.

Bingo...I think that was a major contributing factor in our getting beat by Oregon last season. We had 3 games in 3 days in Brooklyn, and then play 2 games the next week across the country in California. That's a lot of games and a lot of travel in a short period of time.

And as far as UMass goes...those pr!cks seem to get up for us, especially at home. Given their past few weeks, they may seriously need a W against us

I'm praying for 5-1, expecting 4-2, and would still be okay with 3-3 (@Mason and GW at Chaifetz could both be extremely tough)

That's the one part of the argument I can at least understand--getting some extra rest time. Personally, I think conference and tournament championships are a big part of what you play for. And wouldn't you rather win out for a chance at a 2 seed and a better location in the first place rather than resigning yourself to another crappy location like San Jose and settling for more "rest time?"

I just think all this talk is defeatist. Teams play to win. Hoping to lose in order to win is just overthinking things.

That's the one part of the argument I can at least understand--getting some extra rest time. Personally, I think conference and tournament championships are a big part of what you play for. And wouldn't you rather win out for a chance at a 2 seed and a better location in the first place rather than resigning yourself to another crappy location like San Jose and settling for more "rest time?"

I just think all this talk is defeatist. Teams play to win. Hoping to lose in order to win is just overthinking things.

Sure, if we are in a position to get a 2 seed, then yes, I'd want to win. If we are in that position, great! If not, then I wouldn't be terribly disappointed with a first or second round A-10 Tourney loss. Absolutely we play to win, but if a loss increases our chances (even by a miniscule amount) to get to that second NCAA Tourney weekend, then it wouldn't be all bad...more like looking for a silver lining.

I will admit to pure joy and pride last year watching the team cut down the nets at Barclays Center in March. That was a loooooong time in coming for some of us and even moved some to tears. That was the regular season title plus the tournament title. All unshared. Now that we've accomplished that, I'm okay with moving on.

I don't need both however, I am all for repeating and winning two unshared titles over two straight years. If that happens, however, there is no guarantee of getting a two. We are always at the mercy of the selection committee. I've stated before that my measure of success is going to the Dance, plain and simple. We are a 99.7% lock to do that now. The rest seems like gravy. Who won the A10 two years ago, regular and tournament, when we went and beat Memphis in Columbus? Don't peek. Frankly, I don't know nor do I care. Nice hardware in the trophy case but that is all.

We win the regular season, we should be 27 and 4. Lock city. Then avoid the 8/9 game. The rest is what you make of it. Four quarters to a season: 1)OOC schedule, 2) league schedule, 3) league tournament, and 4) March Madness. Everybody that is a nobody in #1 and #2 is geared up and gunning in #3 to accomplish #4. It is a luxury when you don't have to worry about it, especially when you are considered somewhere near that "mid-major" designation.

I still think 4 and 2 is a tremendous closing run. If we beat Mason this Wednesday and VCWho loses it's next game Friday at Umass, we will be up four with five to play coming home to play GeeDubya and Duquesne. If the trend holds, we might clinch the regular season title by next weekend. I'd like that for sure.

-here is our schedule for the rest of the year, that Thursday at home and Saturday at VCU has me concerned, guessing a charter flight, and with spring break perhaps they stay out east to avoid travel, but I hope our guys don't get worn out

Wed 2/19/2014 @GMU

Sat 2/22/2014 GW

Thur 2/27/2014 Duq

Sat 3/1/2014 @VCU

Wed 3/5/2014 Dayton

Sun 3/9/2014 @Umass

3/10-3/14 Spring Break

Fri 3/14/2014 A10 Tourney starts

Sat 3/15/2014 A10 Tourney second game

Sun 3/16/2014 A10 Championship

Thur/Fri 3/20-3/21 NCAA First Game

Sat/Sun 3/22-3/23 NCAA Second Game

Thur/Fri 3/27-3/28 NCAA Third Game

Sat/Sun 3/29-3/30 NCAA Fourth Game Sat

4/5/2014 Semi-Final

Mon 4/7/2014 Championship

Let me say that I believe we are entirely capable to run our win streak all the way to the end of the A10 conference Tournament. Whether or not we do it remains to be seen. I think we will win the next three (GM, GW and Duq). VCU will be a tough game. I think we will win over Dayton, and I do not know what to think about the UMass game. The most important thing SLU needs to do in the rest of the A10 schedule, once they have a lock on NCAA, is to avoid injury to the players. Jordair's injury last year may well have cost us the Oregon game.

Let me say that I believe we are entirely capable to run our win streak all the way to the end of the A10 conference Tournament. Whether or not we do it remains to be seen. I think we will win the next three (GM, GW and Duq). VCU will be a tough game. I think we will win over Dayton, and I do not know what to think about the UMass game. The most important thing SLU needs to do in the rest of the A10 schedule, once they have a lock on NCAA, is to avoid injury to the players. Jordair's injury last year may well have cost us the Oregon game.

If I can recall Evans had a problem in the tourney that affected his play. If Evans and Jett were 100% we best Oregon

I will admit to pure joy and pride last year watching the team cut down the nets at Barclays Center in March. That was a loooooong time in coming for some of us and even moved some to tears. That was the regular season title plus the tournament title. All unshared. Now that we've accomplished that, I'm okay with moving on.

I don't need both however, I am all for repeating and winning two unshared titles over two straight years. If that happens, however, there is no guarantee of getting a two. We are always at the mercy of the selection committee. I've stated before that my measure of success is going to the Dance, plain and simple. We are a 99.7% lock to do that now. The rest seems like gravy. Who won the A10 two years ago, regular and tournament, when we went and beat Memphis in Columbus? Don't peek. Frankly, I don't know nor do I care. Nice hardware in the trophy case but that is all.

We win the regular season, we should be 27 and 4. Lock city. Then avoid the 8/9 game. The rest is what you make of it. Four quarters to a season: 1)OOC schedule, 2) league schedule, 3) league tournament, and 4) March Madness. Everybody that is a nobody in #1 and #2 is geared up and gunning in #3 to accomplish #4. It is a luxury when you don't have to worry about it, especially when you are considered somewhere near that "mid-major" designation.

I still think 4 and 2 is a tremendous closing run. If we beat Mason this Wednesday and VCWho loses it's next game Friday at Umass, we will be up four with five to play coming home to play GeeDubya and Duquesne. If the trend holds, we might clinch the regular season title by next weekend. I'd like that for sure.

I'm pretty sure Temple and St. Bona