Plea to Students/Fans

slufan13

Let me start by saying I thought the fans were really good today and the students were pretty good too. But with just 4 games left, I'd like to make a plea to everyone to show up to these games and be as loud and rowdy as possible. This will go down as one of the best classes of all time at SLU and I think it's only right to honor them by supporting better than we ever have before. Also this is the best start in school history and the team is destined for their 3rd straight NCAA Tournament appearance (first time ever I think?). Something historic is going on with this team and I really really hope everyone appreciates this opportunity and runs with it.

We aren't going to get the media attention that we want. But we can make these games so much fun for everyone that fans will do whatever it takes to come back. The 20 point wins over good teams are great for the team, but these down to the wire exciting games really brings people back to the games. It's just more fun for everyone there. And with the VCU game next and most likely a sell out, I hope that people who were there today, just go ahead and buy tickets to other games.

A couple things that I wanted to touch on though:

1. Purple, yellow, orange, red, green, brown. All colors that I saw many fans in today. Come on. Can't we all wear blue? I see plenty of people in white or black too which pisses me off because most of the time its just someone who won't take their coat off even though they're in a building with 9000+ other people. But seriously. Even if you don't have Billiken gear, just wear a blue shirt. The same way you would if you went to a Cardinals game and didn't have a Cards shirt. You'd wear red. And anyone who wears Mizzou gear to a Billikens game. Just please give up your ticket to someone else. Next game is the white out. I encourage everyone to wear white because they just put out Large and XL shirts on everyones seats. If you don't want to put on the shirt because it's too big for you, then please at least wear your own white shirt.

2. Notice how not as many students showed up today. Well probably because they didn't have a pregame meal for them. Just like the groupon deal for every game, when you have so much free food and stuff for the students, they don't show up when you don't have it for them. We have a top 20 team that's off to the best start in program history. We need to stop babying the students. The 2 "leaders" of the student section are absolutely terrible. The thought of them having a chance to get to go to Brooklyn for free for the A10 Tournament is just sad.

3. I thought the fans today were really good. The whole building standing up with 6 minutes to play trying to urge on the players for a defensive stop. I think it was the opposite than usual today. In my opinion the rest of the fans started the energy in the building and the students fed off that. I don't care how it happens but we need both the students and the fans really loud for the rest of the season.

4. Would love to see 4 sell outs. The Duquesne game will be tough, but let's just keep this going. Our Athletic Department pretty much relies solely on social media for marketing at this point in the season, and the St Louis media clearly doesn't want to hype up the team so let's do it ourselves. Talk about SLU and work or with friends. Just get people interested in it. I think these Billiken games are a fun atmosphere even if you don't have a huge rooting interest. Let's just start converting people to Billiken fans. I personally think that the metro-east doesn't get anywhere near the attention that it should from SLU. They're 3 hours away from the Illini and those people just love watching basketball. We can get them as fans.

5. Finally, can we all get to the games early and stay the whole time? Even 2 minutes early is fine. I'd just like to have the fans going crazy during the player intros and the building be rocking at the opening tip instead of the building filling in by the first media timeout. And you're not dealing with 40,000 fans trying to get home like after a Cardinals game. Staying until the end won't hurt.

Finally, as much as I love the band, I thought today's National Anthem was one of the best ever

Sorry for the long post.

Let me start by saying I thought the fans were really good today and the students were pretty good too. But with just 4 games left, I'd like to make a plea to everyone to show up to these games and be as loud and rowdy as possible. This will go down as one of the best classes of all time at SLU and I think it's only right to honor them by supporting better than we ever have before. Also this is the best start in school history and the team is destined for their 3rd straight NCAA Tournament appearance (first time ever I think?). Something historic is going on with this team and I really really hope everyone appreciates this opportunity and runs with it.

We aren't going to get the media attention that we want. But we can make these games so much fun for everyone that fans will do whatever it takes to come back. The 20 point wins over good teams are great for the team, but these down to the wire exciting games really brings people back to the games. It's just more fun for everyone there. And with the VCU game next and most likely a sell out, I hope that people who were there today, just go ahead and buy tickets to other games.

1. Purple, yellow, orange, red, green, brown. All colors that I saw many fans in today. Come on. Can't we all wear blue? I see plenty of people in white or black too which pisses me off because most of the time its just someone who won't take their coat off even though they're in a building with 9000+ other people. But seriously. Even if you don't have Billiken gear, just wear a blue shirt. The same way you would if you went to a Cardinals game and didn't have a Cards shirt. You'd wear red. And anyone who wears Mizzou gear to a Billikens game. Just please give up your ticket to someone else. Next game is the white out. I encourage everyone to wear white because they just put out Large and XL shirts on everyones seats. If you don't want to put on the shirt because it's too big for you, then please at least wear your own white shirt.

2. Notice how not as many students showed up today. Well probably because they didn't have a pregame meal for them. Just like the groupon deal for every game, when you have so much free food and stuff for the students, they don't show up when you don't have it for them. We have a top 20 team that's off to the best start in program history. We need to stop babying the students. The 2 "leaders" of the student section are absolutely terrible. The thought of them having a chance to get to go to Brooklyn for free for the A10 Tournament is just sad.

3. I thought the fans today were really good. The whole building standing up with 6 minutes to play trying to urge on the players for a defensive stop. I think it was the opposite than usual today. In my opinion the rest of the fans started the energy in the building and the students fed off that. I don't care how it happens but we need both the students and the fans really loud for the rest of the season.

4. Would love to see 4 sell outs. The Duquesne game will be tough, but let's just keep this going. Our Athletic Department pretty much relies solely on social media for marketing at this point in the season, and the St Louis media clearly doesn't want to hype up the team so let's do it ourselves. Talk about SLU and work or with friends. Just get people interested in it. I think these Billiken games are a fun atmosphere even if you don't have a huge rooting interest. Let's just start converting people to Billiken fans. I personally think that the metro-east doesn't get anywhere near the attention that it should from SLU. They're 3 hours away from the Illini and those people just love watching basketball. We can get them as fans.

5. Finally, can we all get to the games early and stay the whole time? Even 2 minutes early is fine. I'd just like to have the fans going crazy during the player intros and the building be rocking at the opening tip instead of the building filling in by the first media timeout. And you're not dealing with 40,000 fans trying to get home like after a Cardinals game. Staying until the end won't hurt.

Finally, as much as I love the band, I thought today's National Anthem was one of the best ever

Sorry for the long post.

Fuokin A

Backhand was in purple. And he looked good.

This is all great, but 99% of people in St. Louis could not care less about honoring this team. What they should care about is that for a reasonable price, they can come to an awesome arena IN ST. LOUIS and see one of the TOP COLLEGE BASKETBALL teams on the planet play in one of the top conferences and have a hell of a good time doing it. What a fun time (even though I had several heart attacks).

If we try to sell this on what people should do as opposed to what they WANT to do, we will lose every time.

Great post. I agree with most all of it.

I could not agree more with the no Mizzou attire at The Fetz statement. My buddy and I mention it every game because there are people with no freakin clue wearing Mizzou attire at EVERY SLU home game. Adults, kids and all ages in between. Some games more than others but always at least a few clueless Tiger fans to annoyingly catch my eye. Today I saw a few Mizzou sweatshirts, a Tiger jacket or two and most baffling a guy in a Billiken sweatshirt AND Mizzou hat. People just live in their own little worlds. It is disrespectful. I am no Mizzou basketball fan but if I ever went to a game at Mizzou Arena I would never even consider wearing any Billiken gear out of respect to the college basketball gods.

I am no Mizzou basketball fan but if I ever went to a game at Mizzou Arena I would never even consider wearing any Billiken gear out of respect to the college basketball gods.

I'm considering doing it just because I'm guessing it's never done and tempting fate sounds like a plan.

Great post. I agree with most all of it.

I could not agree more with the no Mizzou attire at The Fetz statement. My buddy and I mention it every game because there are people with no freakin clue wearing Mizzou attire at EVERY SLU home game. Adults, kids and all ages in between. Some games more than others but always at least a few clueless Tiger fans to annoyingly catch my eye. Today I saw a few Mizzou sweatshirts, a Tiger jacket or two and most baffling a guy in a Billiken sweatshirt AND Mizzou hat. People just live in their own little worlds. It is disrespectful. I am no Mizzou basketball fan but if I ever went to a game at Mizzou Arena I would never even consider wearing any Billiken gear out of respect to the college basketball gods.

Anybody wearing Mizzou stuff to a SLU game should get curb stomped and then have their jaw ripped off King Kong style

I had to sit next to 2 D-Bags (season ticket holders BTW who have shown up for a grand total of 3 games) both wearing SPUMAC garb and spent the first half watching the SPUMAC game on their phones and giving a running commentary. They jumped out of their seats and cheered when Brown made that dunk, while we were shooting free throws.

I had several oldsters behind me repeatedly yelling at me to "Sit down!" "Sit down!" "Sit down!!!!!" SIT DOWN! during the final 3-4 minutes of regulation, when virtually the entire bowl was on its feet.

That was one of the best game environmentss, if not the best, I've been to at Chaifetz. It's one thing to stay seated for the entire game; but telling me to sit down: well, that is seriously lame, dudes.

It's the Hoosier blood in me I guess, but there are certain things at SLU games that have never changed. Overall the crowd yesterday was really great and really wanted the win. But the "Sit down!" nonsense is really irritating. really and truly, get a clue.

Sorry for the long post.

What shocked me was the number of people who left when the overtime started - why would come for the game and not stay for the overtime - just plain stupid!

I had several oldsters behind me repeatedly yelling at me to "Sit down!" "Sit down!" "Sit down!!!!!" SIT DOWN! during the final 3-4 minutes of regulation, when virtually the entire bowl was on its feet.

That was one of the best game environmentss, if not the best, I've been to at Chaifetz. It's one thing to stay seated for the entire game; but telling me to sit down: well, that is seriously lame, dudes.

It's the Hoosier blood in me I guess, but there are certain things at SLU games that have never changed. Overall the crowd yesterday was really great and really wanted the win. But the "Sit down!" nonsense is really irritating. really and truly, get a clue.

It was awesome when the whole crowd started standing up. If the older fans aren't gonna do so then that's their problem. It's college basketball, not golf.

I'm considering doing it just because I'm guessing it's never done and tempting fate sounds like a plan.

Not that it is the same, but I do remember a couple years ago during Football College Game Day in Columbia, there was a fan in the background flying a SLU flag proudly. I got a good laugh out of it.