Making the Trip to St. Louis

Dr. Gunnie

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pistol has a good list going. I'll add The Shack. I had it after the Fordham game and it was awesome.

Also, I'm pretty sure the meters aren't free on Saturdays until after 7pm. I got a ticket a couple of years ago during a Saturday afternoon game.

I'll second The Shack. Had some good experiences there. Quite a few tv's, laid back atmosphere. Still odd to think of it as Laclede's and what I actually was like back there in the day.....

I disagree that the best bet is to park in the garage. You can find a meter on the streets to the north and east of that garage and park on the street (still free on Saturdays?). The garage takes forever to get out of, and the streets will be wide open if you're coming down early to eat. Some more food options in the area (since an 8- and 3-year-old might not do well in Pappy's line):

Vito's

The Fountain on Locust

Field House

City Diner (Fox location)

Six Row Brewing

Welcome to the conference, and hope you guys enjoy St. Louis. It's a great arena.

Meters are NOT free on Saturday. They were free downtown for a few years (don't think they are anymore) but they were never free anywhere else in town on Saturdays.

The Fountain on Locust is also excellent. It was Rick Majerus' favorite place to eat

Yes. If I had kids in tow from out of town, I would take them here. Awesome menu of both alcoholic and non-alcoholic ice cream concoctions in addition to great food and drinks.

Greetings from a George Mason fan. The family and I will be making the trip to St Louis to watch George Mason get pummeled play the Billikens next weekend. I've never been to your arena before, and wanted to see if there are any recommendations for eating in the area. I'll have my 8 year old and 3 year old in tow, so looking for more of a family friendly type place. Anything close to the arena?

Thanks in advance!

As someone with young kids, I will say that many of the places mentioned are not the most kid friendly. Pappy's has been named one of the best, if not the best, barbeque places in the country by several publications and TV shows. However, if your kids don't like barbeque, that won't matter. Vito's (pizza and italian), Triumph (moderately upscale grill), The Fieldhouse (sportsbar), and Humphreys (prototypical campus bar) are the closest, but not are particularly kid friendly.

If you are staying downtown, there are a lot of more kid friendly options downtown where you could go and then head over to the game. SLU is not in downtown, but it's not very far either. If your driving, just get on Olive and head east. You'll make it there in 10 minutes.

Take the kids to City Museum. My brother always takes his kids there when he comes back to town. It is very unique and not too far from SLU.

Screw the kids...whenever I'm back in StL I always like to go there myself. That place is fantastic! I took my girlfriend there last time I was home and she absolutely loved it. DEFINITELY worth it if you have the time. Hidden gem

Oh please. Can we can this line of crap when we should be selling our city to visitors?

BEWARE O' THE BOOGERMEN!

+1

If you are coming in from Lambert International Airport (located in North County oh no!) to SLU's campus, the best way is to take I-70 to Grand and head south on Grand until you reach SLU. You will drive through a blighted area on North Grand, but it is perfectly safe to drive through. I wouldn't recommend trying to sell/score drugs or wandering around alone at night there, but if you aren't an idiot you should be fine.

If you are really wanting to live on the edge, head up to the Ferguson/Florissant area in the dreaded North County. You will likely run into some old folks who don't understand how the internet works and enjoy taking publicly funded senior trips on shuttle buses. Scary stuff.

+1

If you are coming in from Lambert International Airport (located in North County oh no!) to SLU's campus, the best way is to take I-70 to Grand and head south on Grand until you reach SLU. You will drive through a blighted area on North Grand, but it is perfectly safe to drive through. I wouldn't recommend trying to sell/score drugs or wandering around alone at night there, but if you aren't an idiot you should be fine.

If you are really wanting to live on the edge, head up to the Ferguson/Florissant area in the dreaded North County. You will likely run into some old folks who don't understand how the internet works and enjoy taking publicly funded senior trips on shuttle buses. Scary stuff.

Stop one block off interstate 70 on Jennings Station Road roughly half way between airport and Grand exit for carryout bbq from C n K's BBQ. Rip tips and sauce are killer as well could be some others in line.

Stop one block off interstate 70 on Jennings Station Road roughly half way between airport and Grand exit for carryout bbq from C n K's BBQ. Rip tips and sauce are killer as well could be some others in line.

Is this where the Griswolds got directions in the first Vacation movie?