Attendance

Duff Man

Attendance is up during the non-conference portion of the home schedule.

Non-conference average home attendance (includes games against non-D1 but not preseason exhibitions)

2011-12: 6730 (8 games)

2012-13: 6191 (11 games)

2013-14: 7302 (9 games)

For reference, here's the overall avg attendance and A10 only numbers.

Overall

2011-12: 7757

2012-13: 7673

A10

2011-12: 8784

2012-13: 9710

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we are going to have trouble reaching the 9,700 number this year in conference. We've got a pretty boring home slate with only VCU, Dayton and maybe GW being attractive opponents.

Of course, winning two on the road to start the conference and getting a massive winning streak and ranked would go a long way to drawing fans no matter who we are playing.

• 2 weeks later...

8388 turned out for the Bonnies.

On one hand that's lower than any A10 game from last season...on the other hand the Bonnies have never drawn well...in both 2010 and 2012 they were the only A10 opponents to draw < 7k.

For reference, last year's A10 home opener vs Umass drew 8462.

The 9265 who showed up for Fordham is up slightly from the 2012 Fordham crowd of 9173 (in the 2nd to last home game of the season).

Next game is weeknight game against a tough but non-marquee Richmond team. Richmond traditionally has drawn less than the average A10 games (although not to the degree of the Bonnies). It'll probably end up somewhere between 8700-9200.

Overall we're looking at steady growth, but we're still waiting for the watershed moment. It could potentially come against Richmond or George Mason (unlikely, but possible). Most likely VCU will be the first 10k crowd and then the next game vs GW (who could very well be nationally ranked by then) will hit 10k as well.

Bottom line: Barring a collapse the season avg will be above 8000 for the first time in the Chaifetz era, with it probably ending up in the 8200-8300 range if the team keeps winning.

• 2 weeks later...

Next game is weeknight game against a tough but non-marquee Richmond team. Richmond traditionally has drawn less than the average A10 games (although not to the degree of the Bonnies). It'll probably end up somewhere between 8700-9200.

8,853 for Richmond

Underwhelming total given the scarcity of tickets visibly available on TM.com - but right where I expected it to be following the last home game. Unlikely that we'll be able to beat last year's A10 average, but we're already above last year's season average (7673) with the largest projected attendance games still to come.

3 of the 5 remaining games should crack 10k (VCU, GW, Dayton). George Mason should draw 9200-9500. Duquesne might slip under 9k, but not by much - and could potentially draw > 9500 if things continue to go well or even > 10k in a dream scenario.

A10 average projects to be 9300-9500 with a season average of 8200-8300.

An average like that would put SLU's attendance rank in the lows 50s among all NCAA Div I schools if last year's numbers hold. Also, #2 in the A10 behind Dayton and behind only Creighton, Marquette, Georgetown, and Xavier compared to Big East teams.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2013.pdf

8,853 for Richmond

Underwhelming total given the scarcity of tickets visibly available on TM.com - but right where I expected it to be following the last home game. Unlikely that we'll be able to beat last year's A10 average, but we're already above last year's season average (7673) with the largest projected attendance games still to come.

3 of the 5 remaining games should crack 10k (VCU, GW, Dayton). George Mason should draw 9200-9500. Duquesne might slip under 9k, but not by much - and could potentially draw > 9500 if things continue to go well or even > 10k in a dream scenario.

Yeah, although the crowd was great, especially for a weeknight, I was expecting well over 9K from all the talk about scarce tickets.

Speaking of income inequality ;), it has seemed like the blue seats have been more than 80% filled recently. Is this because corporate seat-sitters are bandwagon folks, or is it because there's been some sort of effort to get those folks to use their seats, or is it just because more people tend to go to Bills' games after Jan. 1?

An average like that would put SLU's attendance rank in the lows 50s among all NCAA Div I schools if last year's numbers hold. Also, #2 in the A10 behind Dayton and behind only Creighton, Marquette, Georgetown, and Xavier compared to Big East teams.

I have watched a lot of Georgetown games over the years. The attendance totals they give have to be for tickets distributed and not for actual people in the building.

I have watched a lot of Georgetown games over the years. The attendance totals they give have to be for tickets distributed and not for actual people in the building.

Speaking of income inequality ;), it has seemed like the blue seats have been more than 80% filled recently. Is this because corporate seat-sitters are bandwagon folks, or is it because there's been some sort of effort to get those folks to use their seats, or is it just because more people tend to go to Bills' games after Jan. 1?

I suspect its mostly the after Jan 1 effect. I find that most sports fans just don't care about college basketball until college football ends and some even wait until the NFL is done before they pay attention.

With the Blues about to shut down for 3 weeks, the Bills will be the only game in town for a while.

8,853 for Richmond

Looked like more there - but that is what the paper had - just checked.