Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

56 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This isn't a bad strategy.  At a minimum it puts you in a strong position for when Groce gets fired and they release the recruits from their NLI.

I know Frank has said that SLU thinks they still have a shot at Tillmon. You already have a great class in place so I don't think you have a lot to lose by putting the full court press on him. 

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I guess this just tells you how rare it is for SLU and in 6 months Ford has brought in 6 players that were either top 150 at one point or close as in Jalen Johnson. Since Larry (16 years) we're looking at 2 and a couple close. Travis Ford has brought in more in 6 months than our other coaches did in 16 years.

Fair to say the hiring of Ford received a lukewarm reception at best by the board, but it is hard to imagine another coach doing a better job on the recruiting trail after six months. Not Drew. Not Stallings. Of course Ford hasn't even coached a game yet, so that will shape opinions, but the TF era is certainly off to an impressive start.

French took a lot of official and unofficial visits to some good programs before picking SLU, so this was an impressive recruiting victory.

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I guess this just tells you how rare it is for SLU and in 6 months Ford has brought in 6 players that were either top 150 at one point or close as in Jalen Johnson. Since Larry (16 years) we're looking at 2 and a couple close. Travis Ford has brought in more in 6 months than our other coaches did in 16 years.

18 years. Larry's last game in a Bills uni was in 1998.

Just now, ACE said:

Fair to say the hiring of Ford received a lukewarm reception at best by the board, but it is hard to imagine another coach doing a better job on the recruiting trail after six months. Not Drew. Not Stallings. Of course Ford hasn't even coached a game yet, so that will shape opinions, but the TF era is certainly off to an impressive start.

French took a lot of official and unofficial visits to some good programs before picking SLU, so this was an impressive recruiting victory.

In fairness, most of us who had concerns with the hiring had those concerns based on his coaching ability more than his recruiting ability. I think we can all agree that his transformation of the talent level on the roster in just seven months is incredibly impressive and exceeds any reasonable expectation.

The talent Ford is bringing in certainly makes this coming season more palatable.

My opinion on this. Crews could win games (not many) with poor recruits and Crews is not considered to be a good coach on the court, so two strikes for recruiting and coaching ability. Then we have Ford come in with substantially better recruits and easily a better coaching ability, so where is all the negativity coming from? An A10 conference team with B+ to A- recruits is going to do very well. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we are picked as the top team in the A10 for next year. We have nowhere to go but up. 

38 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Then we have Ford come in with substantially better recruits and easily a better coaching ability, so where is all the negativity coming from?

I'm not sure there could be any less negativity for a coach, I think everyone is currently quite pleased with what Ford has done. No need to stir up pointless arguments.

Kind of feels like we're slowing down on '17. It makes sense given the guys at the top of our list (Allen, Turner, Stockard, etc.) are no longer options. I think shifting gears and focusing on our '18 guys while keeping our eyes peeled for late bloomers is a good idea. Does anyone else think that a grad transfer could be a great addition to next year's team? Anyway, I'm confident that Ford could land either a solid spring signee or a transfer of some kind, and am ecstatic with the combination of Goodwin and French. Great work on '17, anything else is a bonus at this point.

Agreed, Zink. I was wondering if a grad transfer could be the ideal fit once we see where the biggest holes will be after this season. For example, if Neufeld and Gillmann do not show significant improvement, maybe we could go searching for a big man on the grad transfer market (or if it looks like we will need someone who can handle the point). I also like the idea of just camping out at ESL on the off chance that we can swing Tilmon or at least stay in his ear if Groce gets canned after the season.

7 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Agreed, Zink. I was wondering if a grad transfer could be the ideal fit once we see where the biggest holes will be after this season. For example, if Neufeld and Gillmann do not show significant improvement, maybe we could go searching for a big man on the grad transfer market (or if it looks like we will need someone who can handle the point). I also like the idea of just camping out at ESL on the off chance that we can swing Tilmon or at least stay in his ear if Groce gets canned after the season.

If we wan't to go graduate transfer shopping, we better exceed expectations record wise this season.

7 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

That's a good point re: Tilmon, as others have also pointed out. We can say "This is your spot if you want it" and let things play out.

Also, if Ford is able to make strong headway and get two guys in the '18 class before next summer and we don't get a great guy in the spring, he's shown the ability to lock up quality players down the stretch. Either way, I think we're in a solid position with that last scholarship.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If we wan't to go graduate transfer shopping, we better exceed expectations record wise this season.

I do agree that it will be a tough sell. I guess I have faith that not all grad transfers would be scared away. Some definitely will, but we also will present a golden opportunity for a guy to step in and be a major part of a program turn around and NCAA appearance.

Ideally, our current players improve to the extent that we don't need to rely on a one-year filler, but I think that it could be an option to make sure this is a two-year fix and not three or more.

23 hours ago, kwyjibo said:

SLU's 2017 recruiting class with French added is ranked 35th (FWIW).  A third decent recruit would lift them higher.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

About SLU not recruiting top 150 players in the past;  SLU has actually had bad luck with top 150 recruits.  Brett Thompson was top 150 and Obi Ikeakor was close.  Actually, Tommie Liddell was but playing extra year prep ball kept away from some ratings and Kwamain was close (playing for a smaller high school kept him for going a bit higher).

If we're giving Ford credit for the 3 transfers being Top 150 kids out of high school, you have to count Ash Yacoubou. 

18 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

If we're giving Ford credit for the 3 transfers being Top 150 kids out of high school, you have to count Ash Yacoubou. 

True, although I maintain Ash would've been a good contributor as a 5th starter over Barnett or first guy off the bench on one of our previous teams. The problem was he came in a year too late. He was supposed to be our go-to guy, and that just wasn't the type of player Ash was. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Signing period extends from Nov 9 to 16th.  I'll breathe easier when we get Goodwin and French on the bottom line.  Just as we MBM's are 'trying to flip' Tillmon, no doubt others are trying to get into Goodwn's and French's ear.  It goes with the territory.

I wouldn't worry about Goodwin

6 minutes ago, The Pelican said:

By the way, landing a prime time local is key and allows the recruiting process to be synergistic. We have to keep these guys home. Ford used all of his resources on this one. 

If we need to restock the briefcases just let us know. I'm sure we can come up with something. 

4 minutes ago, The Pelican said:

By the way, landing a prime time local is key and allows the recruiting process to be synergistic. We have to keep these guys home. Ford used all of his resources on this one. 

8 minutes ago, The Pelican said:

So there is one of your athletic bigs for '18. Came earlier than we expected but we knew E were in a prime position. Congrats to Ford and Tate for closing athe deal early. Let's hope he sticks with it....

We aren't done with the athletic bigs...

-I sure hope he does but a year is a long time

-not done with athletic bigs, I take that as code that the Illini board should be in meltdown mode

5 minutes ago, The Pelican said:

-well done to the staff, let's keep it going and I would think the way the kids are recruiting other locals can only help