Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

31 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Saw the video on Allen.  Nice player...great shooter.  Wouldn't that be a small backcourt tho with him and Goodwin?  Because unless Goodwin grew a few inches this summer he's not 6'4 as some have listed.  I like the moves Ford has made so far...things are looking up for SLU.

Huh? I seem to recall SLU making some NCAA Tourney appearances with a starting backcourt of Mitchell and McCall.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'd take talent over size any day , and Goodwin and Allen would have a shot to be the most talented backcourt in the league as freshmen.

-no doubt on taking talent,  not sure what the rest of the league will have in a couple of years but I would take my chances if we had that backcourt

48 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Saw the video on Allen.  Nice player...great shooter.  Wouldn't that be a small backcourt tho with him and Goodwin?  Because unless Goodwin grew a few inches this summer he's not 6'4 as some have listed.  I like the moves Ford has made so far...things are looking up for SLU.

Let's not forget that most guards (1 & 2) in the A10 are under 6'3". I actually think Allen would be great next to Goodwin, as they complement each other in a couple of important ways (shooter v slasher, quick v strong). Allen can play the 2 on offense and guard the smaller, quicker guys on defense. Goodwin might struggle with the water bug types defensively, and having another smaller guard in addition to Bishop should make that less problematic. Remember that Moore, Henriquez, Bess and Johnson are all over 6'5", so we have plenty of big wings on the roster should we encounter a huge backcourt.  

1 minute ago, Coach314 said:

Gotcha.  Appreciate the info guys.  I am not to familiar with A10 personnel. Sounds like they could make a formidable backcourt.  

Have you heard any more rumblings that Tilmon is thinking about reopening his recruitment? 

8 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Have you heard any more rumblings that Tilmon is thinking about reopening his recruitment? 

Well...I don't believe Illinois was to happy with him returning to East Side.  I don't know if there is a strain in their relationship tho.  Could be something to look out for.  I believe he wants to stay close to home but he also has people in his ear.  

6'5 East Coast shooting guard Anthony Mack plans to visit Saint Louis in the near future:

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2016/08/24/mack-visits-duquesne/

This 3-star guard holds offers from Duquesne, Tubby Smith and Memphis, Saint Louis, Wyoming, Iona, George Mason, Hofstra, Drexel and is getting interest from Georgia, Cincinnati and Rhode Island.

“Right now I have visits planned to Memphis, Wyoming and Saint Louis.”

32 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Allen, Goodwin, and French is still my dream recruiting class. Assuming Tilmon is unavailable. 

I don't think anyone would complain about that class. A top 50 recruit, one of the top shooters in the country and a true post player with good size who isn't a project. That would be an outstanding class, especially when you combine it with the transfers. 

12 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I don't think anyone would complain about that class. A top 50 recruit, one of the top shooters in the country and a true post player with good size who isn't a project. That would be an outstanding class, especially when you combine it with the transfers. 

Complain? I would be spraying bottles of champagne on my head in the shower before the season even kicked off.

Matt Turner (6-4, 180 SG from Blair Academy) has trimmed his list to SLU, GW, St. Joe's, Pitt, Virginia Tech, and Santa Clara. He'll visit SLU the first weekend of October. Does Anthony Mack have a visit date yet? They're teammates; I wonder if they'll come to SLU together.

I don't think he's as highly rated as Allen, but he's still billed as a big-time shooter and pure scorer. On film, he's got a really confident, consistent stroke and loves to shoot off the dribble. He'll pull up from anywhere. There's a lot of video of him nailing shots with guys closing out hard, right in his face.

VT and Pitt are his most recent offers, and his coach said they've "added chaos to what was a pretty organized process" before.

32 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Matt Turner (6-4, 180 SG from Blair Academy) has trimmed his list to SLU, GW, St. Joe's, Pitt, Virginia Tech, and Santa Clara. He'll visit SLU the first weekend of October. Does Anthony Mack have a visit date yet? They're teammates; I wonder if they'll come to SLU together.

I don't think he's as highly rated as Allen, but he's still billed as a big-time shooter and pure scorer. On film, he's got a really confident, consistent stroke and loves to shoot off the dribble. He'll pull up from anywhere. There's a lot of video of him nailing shots with guys closing out hard, right in his face.

VT and Pitt are his most recent offers, and his coach said they've "added chaos to what was a pretty organized process" before.

247 lists us as his leader.

37 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I wonder how the staff is prioritizing recruits. Seems like we have a lot of offers out there and people visiting. 

This is what happens when you have a coach who actually can recruit high rated players.  I would assume that Ford has a priority list and he has told the recruits that he really wants that waiting too long may be problematic.  Oct visits can cut both ways - last to visit to make an impression or better players commit before then and leave you out.  Of course we could not get any of these kids either - not likely but I guess possible.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 2:36 PM, Pistol said:

-Wyatt Wilkes trimmed his list to 5: Mizzou, Creighton, Florida State, Butler, and Georgia Tech.

Wilkes committed to Florida State, for anyone keeping score at home. We obviously weren't in it anymore, anyway.

Sorry, @Box and Won, but the dream is over - Justyn Mutts committed to High Point. He's a Hermit! Previously took official visits to Richmond and Howard, and went to a few other A10 schools on unofficial visits.

I honestly thought he'd go to one of our rivals - he had 8 A10 offers. He wouldn't necessarily be an instant impact player in the A10, but this is a big get for a program like High Point. Good for them.

28 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Sorry, @Box and Won, but the dream is over - Justyn Mutts committed to High Point. He's a Hermit! Previously took official visits to Richmond and Howard, and went to a few other A10 schools on unofficial visits.

I honestly thought he'd go to one of our rivals - he had 8 A10 offers. He wouldn't necessarily be an instant impact player in the A10, but this is a big get for a program like High Point. Good for them.

-another easy name that escapes Gus, not that he wouldn't have to issue a 'correction' at some point

On 9/2/2016 at 9:27 AM, Pistol said:

No no no no no this cannot be happening.

Heard Nate Latsch on Frank's show today. He said that now that Goodwin has committed to the Billikens, it's possible Tilmon could change mind and switch to SLU since they are such good friends. He says a lot of the local players like to play with Goodwin because of how he plays and since he gets everyone involved. Frank reiterated that SLU feels like they are still in this even though Tilmon says he's still going to Illinois.

Nate also said he wouldn't rule out Gordon to committing  here as well. The Goodwin commitment makes it much more enticing for players like Tilmon and Gordon to play here.

3 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Nate also said he wouldn't rule out Gordon to committing  here as well. The Goodwin commitment makes it much more enticing for players like Tilmon and Gordon to play here.

But Goodwin will be in the NBA by the time Gordon gets on campus?

Seems to me Tilmon may wait it out to see what happens to Groce at season's end. If Groce's canned he could then opt out w/o hurting anyone's feelings except Illini fans. But really I know less than nothing about this situation. It just appears he's committed to Groce and doesn't want to go back on his verbal.  

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Heard Nate Latsch on Frank's show today. He said that now that Goodwin has committed to the Billikens, it's possible Tilmon could change mind and switch to SLU since they are such good friends. He says a lot of the local players like to play with Goodwin because of how he plays and since he gets everyone involved. Frank reiterated that SLU feels like they are still in this even though Tilmon says he's still going to Illinois.

-I heard part of that, Nate was a good poster here, the soccer girlfriend to SLU was mentioned in regards Gordon who they referred to as 6'10, is he now that tall?

2 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I'm thinking Tilmon ship has sailed.