Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

28 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Lol.  This is my second post on this forum.  You have just replied to my first. Vtime?? I didn't go to Vashon nor do I have a child that goes there.  I also do not coach at the school. I was just supplying factual information to the topic.  Not assumptions or myths. Another fact:  5 of the 6 Seniors that just graduated Vashon will be attending College on basketball scholarships. One of those kids barely played and it was his first year playing high school ball. Now,  maybe the high school programs you are used to are sending kids to high Major D1s but i think the objective is to continue on to the next level. Whatever level your talent/grades dictate.  Back on topic though...Levi's transcripts and ACT scores have been sent to each school that offered Stockard.  There has been NO talk of prep schools or jucos. Now...which is it going to be? You guys are complaining about local kids not staying home and wishing this or that kid attends SLU but when you find out SLU is not offering these kids you attack the post?  They are going heavy after the class of 2018...that's where their offers are going.  McKissic would consider SLU...IF THEY OFFERED!!  Gordon, Ramey,  Watson aren't coming to SLU.  But by all means...continue on with the assumptions and misinformation.

Actually the tone of the thread was Stockard is talented why haven't we offered? You started the "attack."

Irons track record speaks for itself. Floyd was much better at getting his kids ready for college than Tony has been.  

McKissic has 2 D-1 offers, Mo St and DePaul.  I don't feel bad for not offering him.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I responded to incorrect information.  I questioned...as did a few others about the recruitment or lack thereof of Stockard and rather than continue the dialogue assumptions were thrown out.  As for preparing players for college...I am sure you know that most of the players Tony Irons had to work with were transfers (from "good" schools) in his early coaching years. Transfers who came to his program who weren't eligible for any college program. He helped them get to the next level. This class of 2017 is his first group he's had that came in as freshmen.  Surely you saw on the news last year that his team had a GPA over 3.0.  His 4 junior starters that won state all have qualified for D1. But...back on topic again. There's been minimal interest in both Stockard and McKissic from this coaching staff. Some teams are waiting to see if Stockard plays football this year.  They are worried about him injuring himself. Maybe that's SLU's concern but both McKissic and Stockard are receiving the bulk of their attention from out of state teams.  McKissic has an offer from Murray St as well.

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

Another fact:  5 of the 6 Seniors that just graduated Vashon will be attending College on basketball scholarships. One of those kids barely played and it was his first year playing high school ball. Now,  maybe the high school programs you are used to are sending kids to high Major D1s but i think the objective is to continue on to the next level. Whatever level your talent/grades dictate.

Do you have a list of who is going where? I started looking up their seniors out of curiosity and can't find any information on this.

For what it's worth, I think Stockard is offer-worthy for SLU. I wish he (and Goodwin, and others) wouldn't play football, but I guess there's no changing their minds if they're willing to risk their basketball careers to keep playing.

I will see if I can get that info.  I know one did Juco...the others D2 I believe. One started last year the others came off the the bench with spot minutes.  I heard a month or so ago that Goodwin was playing football this year but I don't know if that still holds true.  Stockard hasn't decided if he's playing football this year.  He's receiving high level interest from a few programs but no offers.  McKissic is high on Murray St but no decision has been made.  

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

Lol.  This is my second post on this forum.  You have just replied to my first. Vtime?? I didn't go to Vashon nor do I have a child that goes there.  I also do not coach at the school. I was just supplying factual information to the topic.  Not assumptions or myths. Another fact:  5 of the 6 Seniors that just graduated Vashon will be attending College on basketball scholarships. One of those kids barely played and it was his first year playing high school ball. Now,  maybe the high school programs you are used to are sending kids to high Major D1s but i think the objective is to continue on to the next level. Whatever level your talent/grades dictate.  Back on topic though...Levi's transcripts and ACT scores have been sent to each school that offered Stockard.  There has been NO talk of prep schools or jucos. Now...which is it going to be? You guys are complaining about local kids not staying home and wishing this or that kid attends SLU but when you find out SLU is not offering these kids you attack the post?  They are going heavy after the class of 2018...that's where their offers are going.  McKissic would consider SLU...IF THEY OFFERED!!  Gordon, Ramey,  Watson aren't coming to SLU.  But by all means...continue on with the assumptions and misinformation.

You just named three local guys who SLU offered who you said aren't coming here... it takes two to tango. 

I'm not surprised a kid who you said his best offer is Murray State would consider SLU... but that's not a very good formula for making SLU better, which I am MUCH more interested in than getting hung up on how many local kids we have.

True.  It takes two to tango.  The interest has to be mutual.  In my opinion... I think SLU is making the offers to the big names but I don't believe these kids have SLU/Mizzou high on their radar.  I think Goodwin wants to stay close to home so I believe SLU has a good shot. But let's be real...how long did it take SLU to offer Tatum??  They are going for 4 and 5 stars when you have 3 stars locally that can help the program now. And let's not knock Murray St.  Cameron Payne of the OKC Thunder attended there.  Damian Lilliard went to a small school.  Kids are finding other options.   Not to say that these boys are NBA bound but they can go to other schools and have success.  I hope all our local boys find good fits for them academically/athletically.  If it's local...then all the better.

On 7/28/2016 at 3:57 PM, Coach314 said:

True.  It takes two to tango.  The interest has to be mutual.  In my opinion... I think SLU is making the offers to the big names but I don't believe these kids have SLU/Mizzou high on their radar.  I think Goodwin wants to stay close to home so I believe SLU has a good shot. But let's be real...how long did it take SLU to offer Tatum??  They are going for 4 and 5 stars when you have 3 stars locally that can help the program now. And let's not knock Murray St.  Cameron Payne of the OKC Thunder attended there.  Damian Lilliard went to a small school.  Kids are finding other options.   Not to say that these boys are NBA bound but they can go to other schools and have success.  I hope all our local boys find good fits for them academically/athletically.  If it's local...then all the better.

Coach314, what do you think of the Tate hiring?

A little love from Clags today regarding talent staying home:

1. 582 retweets2,266 likes

Retweet

More

I really like to see us keeping some of this local talent at home. Our players are just as talented as outside of the state. Trust Me.

0 retweets11 likes

Retweet

More

If I'm a local kid and have been offered a basketball scholarship to SLU I would strongly consider committing to my Bills.

4 retweets19 likes

Retweet

More

I think the hiring of Tate is a good move. He has a good connection to Goodwin and is already setting up visits with other local kids.  Question for you guys:  with this years incoming class to SLU plus the transfers... What is the greatest need you feel Ford needs to go after in recruiting? And would Goodwin fit with the direction Ford is taking them? Seems to be a lot of interchangeable wings coming to SLU ...6'5-6'7.

51 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

I think the hiring of Tate is a good move. He has a good connection to Goodwin and is already setting up visits with other local kids.  Question for you guys:  with this years incoming class to SLU plus the transfers... What is the greatest need you feel Ford needs to go after in recruiting? And would Goodwin fit with the direction Ford is taking them? Seems to be a lot of interchangeable wings coming to SLU ...6'5-6'7.

A point guard and a center are pretty clearly our biggest needs.

But if you can get a gamer like Goodwin, he has to be the priority. Dude wins ballgames. He's the kind of guy you build a program around - kids from MO and IL all know that he's a winner and would jump at the chance to play with him. Plus he'd probably be here more than one year. 

And honestly, he has exceptional court vision and very good ballhandling skills. Could play as the primary ballhandler a la Rosie Jones, or even become a Marcus Smart type player. This Tate hire has me drinking the kool aid. 

So what will the local coaches have to use as an excuse now that Tate is on the staff? 

Will they hey finally be honest and say they want their players to go to a more pre$tigious conference?

I just think it has to be a good fit for the student and the Institution.  Every kid won't meet SLU's criteria...SLU might not meet theirs as well.  These are kids we are talking about.  Most coming from top notch high school programs and AAU programs.  They want to play..be part of a winning program...and enjoy being a student.  I've been a fan of Goodwin since 5th grade.  Like Zink said...he's a gamer.  Very competitive.  A local player like that can possibly lead to other kids wanting to stay home.  As for Verge...umm I don't think that would be a good fit.  Very talented player tho

6 hours ago, Coach314 said:

I just think it has to be a good fit for the student and the Institution.  Every kid won't meet SLU's criteria...SLU might not meet theirs as well.  These are kids we are talking about.  Most coming from top notch high school programs and AAU programs.  They want to play..be part of a winning program...and enjoy being a student.  I've been a fan of Goodwin since 5th grade.  Like Zink said...he's a gamer.  Very competitive.  A local player like that can possibly lead to other kids wanting to stay home.  As for Verge...umm I don't think that would be a good fit.  Very talented player tho

I am not arguing your points but often other say the kid picks the school for the BB program.  Which is it is all I am asking - the school and fit or BB program.  No one can tell me that Tatum picked Duke for the school or fit he will only be their one year and if not then his plans went off the tracks.  Is Duke a good school - of course but when you are going one year what real difference does it make.  I am not saying go someplace you hate but really you could find lots of schools to go to for just one year that meet lots of your criteria.  My point simply is that often the school and fit thing is overblown and the BB program thing is more heavily weighted in the minds of many players.

I get what you're saying Cheeseman.  A lot of kids do choose the more "prestigious" program...when sometimes their talent might dictate them going somewhere else.  When I mentioned fit I was including the bb program.  But...if your job says we need to send you out of state for 6 months for training but you will be back after that I'm sure there's a difference between choosing let's say Cali, Texas, Vegas and North Dakota. It matters where u go lol.  

As for Zeke Moore...I have to admit I was late in the game on him.  I saw him the summer before his Senior year and a few games during his Senior year.  He's a competitor.  Needs to add a little weight in my opinion.  Tighten up his handles some.  When his shot is on he is hard to guard.  I also witnessed the playoff game his Senior year in which I believe he scored 3pts with the ball in his hands the majority of the game.  I do believe he can contribute this coming year though.

1 minute ago, Bills_06 said:

Interesting with the new recruiting rules on tweeting how coaches can retweet recruits, Ford was already retweeting a few Goodwin tweets this morning.  Seems to be high target for him.

Yep the rules went into effect today, August 1st. Ford really knows how to recruit. If he lands Goodwin to our group of transfers available next year, we could get to the top of the conference a lot faster than expected. Still a long way to go though.

15 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Yep the rules went into effect today, August 1st. Ford really knows how to recruit. If he lands Goodwin to our group of transfers available next year, we could get to the top of the conference a lot faster than expected. Still a long way to go though.

I maybe mistaken on this, but didn't Crews only get a twitter handle just last season?

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 10:49 AM, Coach314 said:

I get what you're saying Cheeseman.  A lot of kids do choose the more "prestigious" program...when sometimes their talent might dictate them going somewhere else.  When I mentioned fit I was including the bb program.  But...if your job says we need to send you out of state for 6 months for training but you will be back after that I'm sure there's a difference between choosing let's say Cali, Texas, Vegas and North Dakota. It matters where u go lol.  

As for Zeke Moore...I have to admit I was late in the game on him.  I saw him the summer before his Senior year and a few games during his Senior year.  He's a competitor.  Needs to add a little weight in my opinion.  Tighten up his handles some.  When his shot is on he is hard to guard.  I also witnessed the playoff game his Senior year in which I believe he scored 3pts with the ball in his hands the majority of the game.  I do believe he can contribute this coming year though.

Really appreciate your insight coach.

I would like to see local high school players playing for SLU.